I love this time of year

LostinTexas

Got out early and mowed. LostWife took care of weed eating. Started laundry, got cleaned up and had a Black Forest Ham sandwich with local tomatoes and lettuce we grew. Man that was refreshing.

Went to grocery store to grab a couple of things for the weekend. Got gas, and under the shade it wasn't bad. Got out ant the store front, and HOLY MOLE, it was like trying to breathe through a plastic bag. Friggin air quality. I guess it is hard to complain, we made it to near August before it tanked. I was just caught off guard.

Any of you with breathing problems, stay diligent. 'Tis the season.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I used to live in Phoenix. I started Glock Talk when I was living there. Anyway, a good deal of the time, when you look at the air trapped in the valley where Phoenix resides, it looks like a bruise. That kind of heat, with that abysmal level of air quality was no fun.

BC38D6F1-E119-4970-A861-4FE4490DE023.jpeg.b46b26837dc1def9471446c1aac937d3.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank goodness I don't live in a brown capped city, or any city for that matter. Very small towns around. The cities are expanding like a plague though. We may soon be in the suburbs, and Dallas is 75 miles away. SO response time where I live is over 30 minutes. Crazy as it sounds that there are places in the country this still happens. I only know that because the POA had a meet and gripe with the Sheriff about the response times.

Methinks ozone was the culprit yesterday. That usually bothers me more than the PM2, what ever that is.

I wonder how people survived before AC. Especially in western deserts with temps over 100. And people wore full wool suits! Here in the South everything just slowed down during the summer, even the way people talked... ;) Also, houses were built differently, with the kitchens separated from the living areas (to mitigate the heat as well as preventing fires). The past week here in Paradise has been so hot I haven't been worth a flip. Even my cat has been staying inside and just sending threating emails to the moles in the yard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I wonder how people survived before AC. Especially in western deserts with temps over 100. And people wore full wool suits! Here in the South everything just slowed down during the summer, even the way people talked... ;) Also, houses were built differently, with the kitchens separated from the living areas (to mitigate the heat as well as preventing fires). The past week here in Paradise has been so hot I haven't been worth a flip. Even my cat has been staying inside and just sending threating emails to the moles in the yard.

Less roads, less concrete to act as heat sinks, evaporative coolers (swamp coolers). We are actually getting rain at night, well last night anyway.

Last year we broke records, longest streak of triple digit temperature, AND most 110+ degree days. We have actually had rain this year, not monsoon rain, but nice soaking rain. Not a great deal of rain like monsoons.