China’s Killer Underwater Drone Can Track, Blast Subs With No Human Input

pipedreams

"China has revealed it is developing a top secret underwater drone designed to track and destroy enemy submarines with no human input.

The unmanned attack robot was first test fired in the Taiwan Strait a decade ago but its existence was not made public until now.

The project to build the drone was funded by the People’s Liberation Army and dates back to the 1990s, reports the South China Morning Post.

Under testing, it was reportedly able to detect a dummy submarine, identify its origin and hit it with a torpedo.

The craft is said to rely entirely on artificial intelligence and does not need any instructions from an operator.

Details of the part-declassified project were revealed in an academic paper last week."

https://www.technocracy.news/chinas-killer-underwater-drone-can-track-blast-subs-with-no-human-input/

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3244994/china-top-secret-underwater-drone/

"Observers said the timing of the paper was significant as it comes amid rising fears China might invade self-ruled Taiwan.

It also sends a signal to the US and its allies that any defence of the independent island nation would be fraught with risk."

• Like 1

Asimov's robots were programmed to protect humans.  Human lives.

Then some of them figured out that they could save the most lives by killing certain groups of people.

To save humanity,  you had to eliminate humanity.

They didn't have skynet, yet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

All I can say about the state of Chinese technology is they've been eating rice for over 5000 years and the best they can do is 2 sticks. Nuff said.

We wouldn't have guns if it wasn't for them.  ;)

• Like 1

There will be a time in the future where we wished we had nuked China off the planet in time. Mark my words.

Didn’t need to nuke them. We could have fully supported Chang Kai Shek... but noooooo.
We needed a dictator such that the West would have cheap labor.

How is it everyone in the West thinks that money is everyone’s Kryptonite??? Some desire to b left the F alone and others wish for power just as the West does.

a220b8516587d064b58ec5ff3d9175f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

Didn’t need to nuke them. We could have fully supported Chang Kai Shek... but noooooo.
We needed a dictator such that the West would have cheap labor.

How is it everyone in the West thinks that money is everyone’s Kryptonite??? Some desire to b left the F alone and others wish for power just as the West does.

Same thing with Viet Nam, Ho Chi Minh was our friend at the end of WWII and we walked away from him.

• Like 2

Without enemies and a shooting war…

How can major cash flow to military contractors?

How can aspiring officers climb the command ladder?

Why would defense contractors lobby?

Who will hire retired military officers and other top government ex-employees at top salaries?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Without enemies and a shooting war…

How can major cash flow to military contractors?

How can aspiring officers climb the command ladder?

Why would defense contractors lobby?

Who will hire retired military officers and other top government ex-employees at top salaries?

I hired retired military officers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Yup.  Big mistake.  The commies waited until chiang kai-shek was sufficiently weakened by WWII and then they attacked.  It's the same thing they're trying to do to us with Antifa and Black Lives Matter.  As if the national guard couldn't put the bottle back in the genies lamp in two weeks if they had to.  Meanwhile, China has over 10,000 riots a year.  We need to get some of those crappy Chinese made AK's into the hands of their disgruntled masses.

4 hours ago, Maser said:

We wouldn't have guns if it wasn't for them.  ;)

They invented black powder but didn't know what to do with it.  Quality and Innovation seem to be western things.  ;) 

The musket first appeared in the Ottoman Empire by 1465.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_firearm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pipedreams said:

"China has revealed it is developing a top secret underwater drone designed to track and destroy enemy submarines with no human input.

The unmanned attack robot was first test fired in the Taiwan Strait a decade ago but its existence was not made public until now.

The project to build the drone was funded by the People’s Liberation Army and dates back to the 1990s, reports the South China Morning Post.

Under testing, it was reportedly able to detect a dummy submarine, identify its origin and hit it with a torpedo.

The craft is said to rely entirely on artificial intelligence and does not need any instructions from an operator.

Details of the part-declassified project were revealed in an academic paper last week."

https://www.technocracy.news/chinas-killer-underwater-drone-can-track-blast-subs-with-no-human-input/

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3244994/china-top-secret-underwater-drone/

"Observers said the timing of the paper was significant as it comes amid rising fears China might invade self-ruled Taiwan.

It also sends a signal to the US and its allies that any defence of the independent island nation would be fraught with risk."

My ship was on temporary duty to the Mine Warfare Research Center in Panama City, FLA in 1960.  My ship was a Minesweeper.

We were assigned to recover experimental mines being developed at the center at that time.

One of the "types" of  Mines we were to recover was an autonomous type.  That is, it would be launched from a submarine in an area known to be active.

It would fire up its engines and run for a certain distance from the launch point and then drop down to the bottom.  At the bottom it would go into a quiet search mode listening for any sounds associated with particular submarines.

It would stay in this search mode for a predetermined amount of time.  If nothing was found, it would fire up it's engines and move to another point in the search grid.

It would continue this activity for approximately one month.  If it didn't find a target in the stated time, it would shut down and destroy itself.

Our job at that time was to recover the mines in test.  They had very limited fuel and were set to be buoyant instead of resting on the bottom.

The test mines would perform as intended for a short time (days) and then bob to the surface where we would find them and have a converted PT boat pull them aboard and return them to the base.

I was assigned as radioman to the PT boat for these exercises, and communicate with my ship by radio.  The PT boat had the transom removed and the deck was changed to simply a ramp in the back which was submerged to the sea, and a winch would pull the test mines onto the boat after my MSO had located them.

The purpose of all the above crap I posted, is that this was in 1960!  Now tell me again about the Chinese having just developed a smart mine that looks for submarines.......

My activities were over 60 years ago............  **** the Chicoms.

• Like 4

Same thing with Viet Nam, Ho Chi Minh was our friend at the end of WWII and we walked away from him.

Most Americans have cognitive dissonance. They do NOT wish to countenance the TRUTH of geopolitics and history.

Just keep preaching.

[emoji2375]

• Like 2

5 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I’ve read that the most impressive gun on the Lewis and Clark Expedition was an air rifle. 

Yep! Fear of this gun supposedly kept the Indians from attacking. I believe there is a documentary on YouTube about this air gun.

• Like 1