I worked in a meat market in high school

gwalchmai

We had some awesome machines for processing meat. One of the coolest was a cuber. We'd use it to make cube steak. We also had a meat slicer. You could run a slab of bacon through it and create sliced bacon, any thickness. I once saw a guy use the vertical band saw to remove two of his fingers without even trying. And you don't want to know about the hamburger grinder.

Also, there was a wrapping machine with a heated pad for sealing plastic film for packages. Nights when we had to work late and didn't have time to break for dinner, the boss would grab some steaks and cook them on that pad. I was amazed. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

I didn't get to do any meat processing. I worked at Arby's. The meat was already processed. All we had to do was heat it up and slice it.

I remember when Arbys sliced real roasts. I think they cooked them in-house, too. Then they started using those big bags-o-meet. 

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Do you use the feathers and fur?

The feathers go into the garden (compost).  I've egg tanned (pickled) a few of the hides, but I'm not doing any of this batch because they are too young and the hides will be too thin and also summer fur - don't want to do all that work for anything less than a 16+ week old rabbit in full winter coat.  I'm too lazy... so these hides will just get dried and do to the kennel for dog treats.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

The feathers go into the garden (compost).  I've egg tanned (pickled) a few of the hides, but I'm not doing any of this batch because they are too young and the hides will be too thin and also summer fur - don't want to do all that work for anything less than a 16+ week old rabbit in full winter coat.  I'm too lazy... so these hides will just get dried and do to the kennel for dog treats.

Just for the record...you will survive the inevitable what-ever-the-hell killed the dinosaurs.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aomagrat said:

I didn't get to do any meat processing. I worked at Arby's. The meat was already processed. All we had to do was heat it up and slice it.

They opened one here recently so i went there.

Pretty darn, good for what it is!

9 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I remember when Arbys sliced real roasts. I think they cooked them in-house, too. Then they started using those big bags-o-meet. 

When I started working there in 1976 they were already using the bags-o-meat, which were essentially a beef version of Spam, that we heated in an oven before slicing.

I worked in the corner market by my house. It had a meat counter, and most of the machines to cut/chop meats. At 14 or 15.  The band-saw, the slicer, the big wooden table to cut on. I remember cleaning the band-say, that was a sick mess.

We also delivered groceries in a little truck. 

That was about the end of the neighborhood market days I suppose.