Uniquities

Eric

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

One of these ?

Kaman HH-43B Huskie > National Museum of the United States Air Force™ >  Display

Kaman HH-43B Huskie > National Museum of the United States Air Force™ >  Display

I got an orientation ride in one when I was the Fuels Officer at Sheppard AFB in Texas. I passed gas to them when the training unit was at Sheppard before they moved to Hill AFB. I rode in the back were the firefighters rode.

They have several of those at Pima Air Museum, in Tucson, AZ. I love that place. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

That looks larger than the one we used, but similar design.

Probably not. The HH-43 in the picture only carried two pilots and 2 fire fighters and was used generally for crew rescue. Sheppard trained the pilots for the fire fighting mission. The burn pit was  a few hundred yards from my office and I supplied the JP-4 for the practice burns.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, Eric said:

Yeah. He did a pretty good job of it. Being the driver of a car being towed with a strap isn’t a casual skill set. They are responsible for keeping the tow strap taut  and to set the pace for braking. Someone who is bad at it can be dangerous. 

One time my SIL's husband couldn't get his Galaxie 500 XL started.

His wife wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

He told her to get into the other car and push him up to 10/15 mph.

It took repeated chain jerking on the trailer hitch anchored to a very large Elm tree, before we  make the rear frame rails and trailer hitch move back   to where they belonged.

His wife told him she thought she was supposed to go 10/15 mph when she hit him............ She did!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have 19 patents in Applied Physics Research, in fiber optics,  magnetic thin films, optics, electronics, GPS, ferro-magnetics, laser data communications, radio frequency systems, Radiation measuring. 

I forget some.  I am published in the Journal of Applied Physics and assorted technical publications.

I have another distinction where I'm the only one, and the last one.  But that one I won't comment on.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

about the only thing I can claim is cutting myself on a bowling ball.

Oh, that and sleeping with my boss's daughter.

After he found out about it the daughter got thrown out of the house and I still had a job.

That's some amazing **** right there.  The bowling ball sounds more interesting.  I did the other too.  But...I did get fired...almost a lot worse..

• Like 1

• Administrators

I once personally received a letter from the then NYC mayor, Michael Bloomberg, explaining to me how I could make my site (Glock Talk), less threatening to the sheep. This is after he employed people who spent months trying to make illegal purchases on GT and other big gun sites. I considered sending him a two word, seven letter response. I even typed it up, but in the end, I decided his letter didn’t merit a response. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

After he found out about it the daughter got thrown out of the house and I still had a job.

I did that one too.

Only I decided to volunteer for SEA to get away from the full bird colonel daddy.

:anim_rofl2:

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Eric said:

I once personally received a letter from the then NYC mayor, Michael Bloomberg, explaining to me how I could make my site (Glock Talk), less threatening to the sheep. This is after he employed people who spent months trying to make illegal purchases on GT and other big gun sites. I considered sending him a two word, seven letter response. I even typed it up, but in the end, I decided his letter didn’t merit a response. 

If that was really signed by that *******, that's an amazing piece of democrap anti gun history.  You should post a picture of that.  Hope ya kept it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

If that was really signed by that *******, that's an amazing piece of democrap anti gun history.  You should post a picture of that.  Hope ya kept it.  

It was sent certified mail, addressed to me personally, from Bloomberg. He contacted the owners of a dozen or so large firearms sites this way. I don’t know if I still have it or not. I’ll have to dig through some boxes, one day. The thread about it probably still exists on GT, if you can find it. Their search function isn’t great. This all happened in the summer of 2010, I believe. 

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

It was December of 2011. Here is an article about it: https://www.courant.com/sdut-nyc-paid-investigators-buy-guns-online-across-us-2011dec14-story.html I was one of the site owners that he tried to strong-arm into implementing his ‘list of changes’. Freaking dill hole. There was a stink then that he had spent some taxpayer money on this nationwide crusade.

• Sad 2

• Administrators
13 hours ago, crockett said:

That brings back memories, trying to configure ports on Win 95 was always a mess. Did you try different baud rates on the serial port? I got a new Cisco managed switched as a the backbone of my network and that thing is complicated as heck. I don't even want to know how the older ones are. They go for a great prices on eBay right out of data centers, some not even that old.

Yeah, I’ve tried every setting I can think of. The cabled might not be pinned correctly for this application. Oh well.

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Eric said:

What I found disconcerting about a Huey was that little dip between each rotation of the rotors. It was like the bird starts to fall out of the sky between each rotation and the subsequent rotation buys you a few seconds. Actually, I guess that is exactly what is happening, but with a large bird and only two rotor blades, you can really feel that little drop.

I think that this is the solution: http://www.ossmann.com/5-in-1.html It will be a fun little exercise to built it.

• Like 1

My first job out of school was with Wiking back in the late 80s. Didn't last that long since I went to college soon after. Never worked on the UH-1 but got a few test flights in after 100 hours maintenance jobs etc, they phased them out while I came in. Below an old photo I just found.

I worked on Jet / Long Rangers as well as the S-76 only. The company is still around. They now use European helicopters from Airbus and Leonardo.

Wiking-1988.png

The hangar looks still the same, 35 years later.

Gallerie_Instandhaltung-CopyrightWiking.png

I miss hearing the 2 blade Hueys these days...

• Like 1

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, crockett said:

My first job out of school was with Wiking back in the late 80s. Didn't last that long since I went to college soon after. Never worked on the UH-1 but got a few test flights in after 100 hours maintenance jobs etc, they phased them out while I came in. Below an old photo I just found.

I worked on Jet / Long Rangers as well as the S-76 only. The company is still around. They now use European helicopters from Airbus and Leonardo.

Wiking-1988.png

Yeah, I loved that sound. The Kiowa/Bell 206 sounded about the same too. They both sounded like they were tearing the air a new one. The Chinook does too, when it is really going. 

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, crockett said:

Wiking-1988.png

Have you ever been in a Bell 412? I’ve always wondered how they rode. Much smoother, I expect.

• Like 1

• Administrators

When I was in the Army, we had a real dumbass in our platoon, named Harrison. He was always screwing something up. We got on a UH-1 one night and just as we were taking off, Harrison started yelling to the crew chief and pointing at the ground. His protective mask had fallen out on the ground, as he was boarding. 

The pilot sat the bird back down and the skid landed right on the mask. so, he had to pick up the bird, move it over a little and set it down again. The weight of the Huey fucked that mask right up. It shattered both lens, crushed the filter elements and blew out all those little plastic buttons that held everything together. 

He didn’t have to pay for the mask, but the very next field problem, he lost his M.I.L.E.S. Laser and didn’t tell anyone. He DID get to pay for that. It was freaking pricey. Harrison got chaptered out a few months later. I’m not sure if that debt followed him into civilian life. 

Oh yeah, when we got back from the field problem and realized that his M.I.L.E.S. Laser was gone, they sent his squad back out the next week, to look for the laser. They didn’t find it, but they did find 900 rounds of belted 7.62mm ammo that he had left in the bottom of a foxhole he had occupied, because he didn’t want to carry it. He was the ammo bearer for the other M-60 gunner in our platoon. I carried one as well. Anyway, he got his first Article 15 for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

8 hours ago, Eric said:

Yeah, I loved that sound. The Kiowa/Bell 206 sounded about the same too. They both sounded like they were tearing the air a new one. The Chinook does too, when it is really going. 

Indeed, but at least it didn't make your teeth rattle lol Compared to the Sikorsky they had been very easy to work on.

Aviation Photos & History: D-HOBA Bell 206B3 JetRanger

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Eric said:

Have you ever been in a Bell 412? I’ve always wondered how they rode. Much smoother, I expect.

Not that I recall.

I got most rides in on the S-76 and that is a pretty smooth helicopter.

This was a very typical scenario... winch testing right in-front of the hangar... we flew up to Beaufort scale 8 (over 40mph sustained winds).

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, janice6 said:

I have 19 patents in Applied Physics Research, in fiber optics,  magnetic thin films, optics, electronics, GPS, ferro-magnetics, laser data communications, radio frequency systems, Radiation measuring. 

I forget some.  I am published in the Journal of Applied Physics and assorted technical publications.

That is really quite an accomplishment.   Did you get a PHD along the way? 

• Like 1

In a wild cave I crawled prone about 50', with both my front and back touching rock, to rescue a stuck friend. It was terrifying. I consider it the most courageous thing I have ever done.

Edited by OldDad
clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1