Uniquities

Eric

Hmm...

One time, at band camp...

I learned how to code in 13 languages. That being said I don't really enjoy it anymore. I wasted way too much time in-front of monitors over the decades. Last project was last year, a Discord bot written in Python, living on a Raspberry Pi box in my server rack. Manages my entire chat server.

image.png.2309534923c9019c731e3385be475a8e.png

Up 256 days so far without a crash.

image.png.a56da3fab430e4c35dbf2a4d813c1ed4.png

Does that count for anything? lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, crockett said:

Hmm...

I learned how to code in 13 languages. That being said I don't really enjoy it anymore. I wasted way too much time in-front of monitors over the decades. Last project was last year, a Discord bot written in Python, living on a Raspberry Pi box in my server rack. Manages my entire chat server.

We're you once a coal miner or oilfield trash?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I think I could qualify as "Oil Field Trash"...

I remember seeing bumper stickers when I was in Louisiana that read.

" Don't tell my mother I work in the oil patch; she thinks I play a piano in a whorehouse "

:anim_rofl2:

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Hauptmann6 said:

I'm probably the youngest non-amish person in the lower 48 states to grow up with an icebox, and no electricity in the house. We did have indoor plumbing thanks to a gravity feed system. Heat and cooking were all wood.

I remember an icebox at my grandparents house. Sign for front window showed how much ice for today. Battery radio got limited use, because the batteries were so expensive. Gasoline powered washing machine probably Maytag, and that was a lately added luxury. No telephone. Hand pump well water. Mules for plowing. Dry summer followed by long cold winter might exhaust stored food before new crops started coming in. Hunting was for food not [just] sport. Subsistence farming off the grid  before it was cool. After granddaddy died the place was sold and grandmother moved to town. Then a few years later REA came by and the farm had electricity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

That is really awesome sir.  Seriously.  My Grand Father was a member of the "Bigest Bchucks in Maine Club".  Still got his patch I think.  But...20 Moose...fcuking WOW.  Really.

That is just the archery ones. I have bagged 19 with firearms including with handguns and old obsolete lever guns. I have taken several with big magnums too such as the .375, .416, and the mother of them all, the .458. A friend of mine dropped a cow the size of a draft horse back in the 80's with a Ruger 10-22. Hit it twice. Dropped on the first shot behind the ear, but got back up. Second shot put it down for good. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, willie-pete said:

My only claim to fame is that I once had a job cutting ring gears that went in Huey helicopters.

I spent some time in Hueys. I almost fell out of one once. I was asleep at the time. You have to be REALLY tired to fall asleep in a Huey. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
4 hours ago, crockett said:

Hmm...

I spent a couple hours beating my head against a wall, dealing with a PuTTY issue earlier. I’ve got an old Win98 laptop that I’m trying to set up to use as a console for connecting to older Cisco & related equipment. I want to use an older computer because it has a db9 serial port and I’ve had trouble with serial-to-usb cables.

Anyway, I can establish a serial connection and see the output from the devices I’m working on, but my keyboard input is not being sent to them. It is damned frustrating. 

7 hours ago, Eric said:

I spent a couple hours beating my head against a wall, dealing with a PuTTY issue earlier. I’ve got an old Win98 laptop that I’m trying to set up to use as a console for connecting to older Cisco & related equipment. I want to use an older computer because it has a db9 serial port and I’ve had trouble with serial-to-usb cables.

Anyway, I can establish a serial connection and see the output from the devices I’m working on, but my keyboard input is not being sent to them. It is damned frustrating. 

That brings back memories, trying to configure ports on Win 95 was always a mess. Did you try different baud rates on the serial port? I got a new Cisco managed switched as a the backbone of my network and that thing is complicated as heck. I don't even want to know how the older ones are. They go for a great prices on eBay right out of data centers, some not even that old.

15 hours ago, Eric said:

I spent some time in Hueys. I almost fell out of one once. I was asleep at the time. You have to be REALLY tired to fall asleep in a Huey. 

As have I; spent some time, not fallen out - we had doors on ours. Between the noise, vibration  and the fear I can't believe anybody could ever fall asleep on one. Plus I kept wondering if I was flying on one I cut the ring gear for.   :ack2:

We used to have to chopper out to some of the far away missile sites. If it was more than a one hour drive you would fly. 

Edited by willie-pete
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

As have I; spent some time, not fallen out - we had doors on ours. Between the noise, vibration  and the fear I can't believe anybody could ever fall asleep on one. Plus I kept wondering if I was flying on one I cut the ring gear for.   :ack2:

We used to have to chopper out to some of the far away missile sites. If it was more than a one hour drive you would fly. 

I was in a model with seats facing the doors on each side. I got in with my squad and we took off. We were flying with the doors open and I forgot to put on my seatbelt. Actually, no one ever put them on. I fell asleep and a few minutes later, the helicopter banked in a turn. My body started forward and my buddy beside me grabbed me. It was an exciting way to wake up.

33 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I’ve only ridden a Huey once

Blackhawks and Chinooks a crap ton though

My first chopper ride was in 1970 when I was a Forest Fire Fighter on a helitack crew, in the PNW. I was 17 years old. The chopper was a Kaman that had served in Vietnam as a medivac. Was shot down twice with little damage. A few years after my time with it, it was on a fire near Mt St Helens and crashed on it's side in the N fork of the Toutle river with a crew of fire engineers on board. No fatalities, but the Kamen didn't survive that crash.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I was in a model with seats facing the doors on each side. I got in with my squad and we took off. We were flying with the doors open and I forgot to put on my seatbelt. Actually, no one ever put them on. I fell asleep and a few minutes later, the helicopter banked in a turn. My body started forward and my buddy beside me grabbed me. It was an exciting way to wake up.

Was your buddy Terrence Popp? He tells a story about grabbing someone that was falling out of a chopper.

• Administrators

What I found disconcerting about a Huey was that little dip between each rotation of the rotors. It was like the bird starts to fall out of the sky between each rotation and the subsequent rotation buys you a few seconds. Actually, I guess that is exactly what is happening, but with a large bird and only two rotor blades, you can really feel that little drop.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Walt Longmire said:

Was your buddy Terrence Popp? He tells a story about grabbing someone that was falling out of a chopper.

Nah, never heard of him. My buddy's name was Carl.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

What I found disconcerting about a Huey was that little dip between each rotation of the rotors. It was like the bird starts to fall out of the sky between each rotation and the subsequent rotation buys you a few seconds. Actually, I guess that is exactly what is happening, but with a large bird and only two rotor blades, you can really feel that little drop.

I figure they are like a bumble bee and shouldn't really be able to stay airborne. The noises I heard coming from them while riding in them were enough to make me think they were falling apart. Then we had the old Vietnam pilots that did stupid stuff like fly right over the flare on the platform and flame out the engines. I have had some hairy flights in them. Snow storms, whit outs, high winds, idiot pilots, questionable flying condition of the bird and pilot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

My first chopper ride was in 1970 when I was a Forest Fire Fighter on a helitack crew, in the PNW. I was 17 years old. The chopper was a Kaman that had served in Vietnam as a medivac. Was shot down twice with little damage. A few years after my time with it, it was on a fire near Mt St Helens and crashed on it's side in the N fork of the Toutle river with a crew of fire engineers on board. No fatalities, but the Kamen didn't survive that crash.

One of these ?

Kaman HH-43B Huskie > National Museum of the United States Air Force™ >  Display

Kaman HH-43B Huskie > National Museum of the United States Air Force™ >  Display

I got an orientation ride in one when I was the Fuels Officer at Sheppard AFB in Texas. I passed gas to them when the training unit was at Sheppard before they moved to Hill AFB. I rode in the back were the firefighters rode.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

One of these ?

I got an orientation ride in one when I was the Fuels Officer at Sheppard AFB in Texas. I passed gas to them when the training unit was at Sheppard before they moved to Hill AFB. I rode in the back were the firefighters rode.

That looks larger than the one we used, but similar design.