Work Rant

tadbart

So, somehow, I worked myself into a management position in my company. Didn't intend to. In fact, I once told my boss that if she made me relief charge nurse again, I'd clock out and leave for the last time. 

Well, here I am, third in line in leadership in this Urgent Care company, with 40 Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants that I schedule and answer to me, across 10 clinics from Arizona to Atlanta. We have a comprehensive protocol, that covers most of the urgent care things you can think of.

Some bonehead didn't follow protocol last week when suturing someone up, and they came in today for suture removal, with a solid infection. The note this provider wrote- I wrote better notes when I was an EMT making 8 bucks an hour. It was terrible. Nothing at all about the suturing procedure, no details about teaching, wound cleaning, etc.

So, Now I'm up in the middle of the damn night, taking texts from all the providers, ensuring that they follow the protocols on their patients. And I'll be doing so for the forseeable future. All while doing my normal daytime management crap.

Belichick had it right. DO YOUR JOB.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Almost every job I have ever had, I ended up in management.

I finally solved that problem by starting my own business and managing myself. At least now I don't have to guess what the owners expectations are.

This is a distant possibility. I don't mind providing medical care for the payment of a goat, a chicken, some eggs, or a handful of silver quarters. I've batted the idea of doing rural medicine around a little bit. Might be a good retirement gig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tadbart said:

This is a distant possibility. I don't mind providing medical care for the payment of a goat, a chicken, some eggs, or a handful of silver quarters. I've batted the idea of doing rural medicine around a little bit. Might be a good retirement gig.

I’m not sure how rural you would have to go before barter became viable. And if you were there how you could acquire the supplies and equipment you needed. 

By moving to management you can disseminate your advancing skills to more patients than you could by treating each of them yourself. Not for everyone, but if you can do that you become a force multiplier for good. Of course, there's also a need for that person who becomes the very best at his particular specialty, but it often leads to burnout and deadending. Glad it's working for you, but watch out for the corn hole, bud. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I’m not sure how rural you would have to go before barter became viable. And if you were there how you could acquire the supplies and equipment you needed. 

A physician I did a rotation with, took barter goods for service. It was in apex NC, not terribly rural.

• Like 2

Not sure what you've got planned for retirement, but if I could get my family to move I'd look into the US Indian Health Service. I worked near a res where the IHS "Hospital" was only open as a daytime clinic. Native American cultures fascinated me. The few I've checked on had a covid-19 vaccination rate >90% long ago, so had started vaxing  the the Non Natives in the local towns! When the vax became available, the word went out that a true warrior took care of himself and the tribe by getting vaxed! Nice approach.

Besides, how often do you get a chance to care for descendants of Geronimo?

Congrats on your work position.

'

53 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Besides, how often do you get a chance to care for descendants of Geronimo?

A buddy of mine is married to a doctor who paid off her massive student loans by working on "reservations" for about 10 years   She made life long friends.  Even speaks some of the languages.

Really, one of the most unique areas of American history is native American history.  Doesn't get any more American than that.

• Like 1

We have a few recent firefighters get promoted to Lieutenant. I don’t think they thought it out as well as they should have. I’ve been promoted so long I don’t give a damn. But they are second guessing it. With management comes headaches. That’s what happens when you put the big boy pant on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Historian said:

A buddy of mine is married to a doctor who paid off her massive student loans by working on "reservations" for about 10 years   She made life long friends.  Even speaks some of the languages.

Really, one of the most unique areas of American history is native American history.  Doesn't get any more American than that.

I laugh every time I think of the irony how the Native Americans got quick >90% vaccine compliance just by careful presentation, while pale faces argued about rights and conspiracies.

One thing I really love about this place- ain't much sugar-coating going on. I'm just complaining about how one person's actions ripple all across the pond. I'm still a couple decades away from retiring, but I definitely want that rural life. Doubt I'd ever accept livestock for services, but it's a neat thought. Gonna look into these Indian Services. Could be something to that...

• Thanks 1

When our usual charge nurse was out, I'd refuse to be charge nurse. Then they'd say "Well that leaves ________ to do it then. Always an inept leader, to get me to agree to do it. Busy inner city trauma center/ER. So I'm responsible for all the other staff if there's a problem for a whopping extra 50 cents/hour.

• Haha 1