What self-defense load is in your "house" shotgun?

fortyofforty

What do you load in your shotgun for self-defense?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What self-defense load is in the chamber of your "house" 12 gauge shotgun? (Or first in the tube if you have an empty chamber)

• 00 Buckshot
    • 0 Buckshot
    • #1 Buckshot
    • #4 Buckshot
    • 000 Buckshot
    • Slugs
    • #9 Birdshot
    • Other

You guys are making me reassess my view of 00, #1, and #4 buckshot loads.  For home distances, I like a bunch more pellets hitting a target, as long as they can penetrate enough to reach vital organs.  I was thinking #1 was a decent compromise, but #4 might be even better.

3 inch magnum 00 buck 12 ga Federal with brass shot.

Moss. 500 stock from Walmart.  Replaced the trigger group with all metal (no gold plate trigger) had entire shotgun painted OD green, put on ghost ring sights, replaced the wood with standard plastic stock, put on sling mounts, and sent the barrel to Hans Van Comp to work his magic.

It holds a dinner sized plate pattern at about 40 yards.

Wish it had a bayonet lug on it.

PDX1 buck and ball combo.

The way the house is situated, I'd be firing down a hallway, and the only thing that direction from me is a bunch of trees, then a lot of hills.  Pretty much every direction but one is safe to shoot, and that direction is my parent's log house with 12" thick logs at the small ends, though there are a few windows as well, but it's also a little elevated from me so if they were sleeping any shots should pass over them is I did manage to discharge that direction.

I keep a 20 gauge 870 youth gun in my closet with 6 or 8 shot in the tube. I have woodpecker issues and it works for that. I figure if I have a threat close enough to be forced to use it, the bird shot is going to cut em right in two.

Empty chamber (590) with 8 rounds of inexpensive 9-pellet Suprema buckshot.....500+ rounds over the last couple of months with zero issues other than a sore shoulder.

Under 10 bucks per box of 25 and from a cylinder bore choke, it patterns every bit as tight (at 21 feet) as the expensive stuff.

2 minutes ago, fortyofforty said:

Nah.  First, it's not 12 gauge.  And, second, if you call that a "shotgun" there are some guys from the BATFE that would like to have a word with you.  :anim_rofl2:

I can't afford those $200 for a shorty so screw ya'll!  throw-rocks.gif