What self-defense load is in your "house" shotgun?

fortyofforty

What do you load in your shotgun for self-defense?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What self-defense load is in the chamber of your "house" 12 gauge shotgun? (Or first in the tube if you have an empty chamber)

• 00 Buckshot
    • 0 Buckshot
    • #1 Buckshot
    • #4 Buckshot
    • 000 Buckshot
    • Slugs
    • #9 Birdshot
    • Other

On 10/30/2017 at 11:45 PM, jame said:

How is Condition #1 for a shotgun any different than Condition #1 for a 1911?  

Is there a reason, or is that just personal choice?

It goes back to something my Dad said when I was a kid. He was a trap shooter that started out with an 870T. He always maintained that it wasn't good for the 870 to keep the trigger group cocked. Well, that's part of it anyway. I keep a couple of them for HD though they are not primary, I don't have the trigger time with them that some people might. I would rather pick the gun up knowing that it needs to be pumped, versus forgetting the safety was on.

The 1911 I have a lot of trigger time with and that's always clocked and locked. AR's too. 

Since we are on the subject of shotguns, I'll toss this up for anyone interested. I know we've all seen the butt cuffs for adding ammo to your shotgun loadout, perhaps even bought a cheapo one from Midway.

I picked this up from Amazon back last year, and it's the best add on other than a side saddle. I have a Mesa Tactical saddle as well as this from Fire Force. I am still up in the air about keeping it on there, as it does make an already heavy gun, heavier. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Force-Stock-Shotgun-Holder/dp/B00O5U3MIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509589253&sr=8-1&keywords=fireforce+shotgun

I also found that if you install a GG&G front sling plate on an 870 with a factory +2 magazines, you are now able to get a full seven rounds in the magazine. That's 2 3/4" shells, not magnum. 

20170624_213843.jpg

Edited by Jason D

1 hour ago, Jason D said:

Since we are on the subject of shotguns, I'll toss this up for anyone interested. I know we've all seen the butt cuffs for adding ammo to your shotgun loadout, perhaps even bought a cheapo one from Midway.

I picked this up from Amazon back last year, and it's the best add on other than a side saddle. I have a Mesa Tactical saddle as well as this from Fire Force. I am still up in the air about keeping it on there, as it does make an already heavy gun, heavier. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Force-Stock-Shotgun-Holder/dp/B00O5U3MIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509589253&sr=8-1&keywords=fireforce+shotgun

I also found that if you install a GG&G front sling plate on an 870 with a factory +2 magazines, you are now able to get a full seven rounds in the magazine. That's 2 3/4" shells, not magnum. 

20170624_213843.jpg

I hear you on the cocked and locked thing.  My experience is the exact opposite, at 58, I'm just getting to know the 1911 and the AR15 platforms, but I've fire thousands of rounds through various 870's and 1100's through the years, via back yard trap shooting, and many, many months of days in the fields and blinds of the midwest.  

To me, a shotgun is just an extension of my hand, as I continue to study, learn, and shoot the others.  As a matter of fact, you've provided me an epiphany.

I think I need to return to the shotgun as my primary home defense weapon for now.  It's just what I know.

I'll put the others next to the bed stand once I've mastered them.  Just not yet.

As far as the ammo saddle thing goes, I fiddled around with the same one a few years ago, but found it, slings, and other gizmos just heavy and cumbersome.  I run a bone stock, 1100 Special Field 12 gauge.  It's light and fast, and it just works in my hands.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Before the kids moved out, I used #5 turkey loads to minimize room to room penetration. I changed to buckshot since that is no longer a concern. Payload on target is my biggest concern now. #4 buck is .24 caliber balls. 00 buck is .33 caliber balls. Standard 3/4 ounce loads will hold 21 #4 buck and 8 00buck. I am loaded with 3" magnum loads so the payload is even higher.

Sent from a mental institution

• 6 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 10:11 PM, fortyofforty said:

I am wondering if I should switch to #4 buckshot, instead of #1 or 00.  Hmmm.  Splitting hairs, here, but you've given me food for thought.

Go with something in the middle. This is what I decided on after extensively researching Defensive Shotgun loads  

# 1 Buck.      15      30 Caliber Lead Projectile’s 

Edited by JohnNYPD

On 10/30/2017 at 10:45 PM, jame said:

How is Condition #1 for a shotgun any different than Condition #1 for a 1911?  

Is there a reason, or is that just personal choice?

Hi jame~

A Condition One 1911 has several failsafe mechanisms to prevent the gun firing if (for instance) dropped or bumped real hard.

Most shotgun hammers can jump off the sear if dropped or slammed, even with the safety engaged.  Same with many bolt action rifles and AR-15 types.  Then it can go BOOM.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:50 PM, CalmerThanYou said:

Could you explain your theory of two rounds of rubber buck as your first two rounds, Please and thank you.

His explanation was reasonable but a little out of place given the context of this thread.   

My vote was #1 buck

Edited by Paper Tiger

1 hour ago, Jack Ryan said:

Shot gun safety is not drop proof. Can't you see it right there on the video?

I'm out in the sticks, with a 3G internet.  Video for me is a rare luxury.

• Like 1