Guess What's For Dinner

Eric

24 minutes ago, Eric said:

I think that if I had a steak that needed ketchup, I'd feed it to the dog. I guess the point of the experience and if ketchup is someone's idea of good steak, bon apetite. If I tried it myself and liked it though, I would probably injure myself trying to kick my own ass.

There is zero doubt you are correct.

The only thing a fine steak needs...

Is you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I just roasted some garlic. I use it for garlic butter, in mash potatoes, in marinades, spread on bread or rolls like butter, you name it. It is good for what ails you. The roasting process takes the sharpness away from the garlic and leaves it very tender. It is delicious to just pop a roasted clove in your mouth and eat it. I love this stuff. It makes everything you put it in better. It can last for months in the fridge, as long as you keep it covered in olive oil. 

C9EB0142-7BE5-469D-B1FF-58533C9E19EC.thumb.jpeg.fd2926c875a3a72b0dbb3cecaae0006f.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators

I bought a top round roast yesterday and cooked it using my Sous vide cooker, at 135 degrees for 30 hours. I seared it at 500 degrees in a convection oven. It wasn’t a spectacular cut of beef, but after it’s 30-hour bath, the texture of the meat was like high-end roast beef. It was really good. I’ll be doing this again.

90783145-974E-484E-BDA2-7A9C3E7E2FC9.thumb.jpeg.dc811f51c7477210faf04617ea174c52.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I bought a top round roast yesterday and cooked it using my Sous vide cooker, at 135 degrees for 30 hours. I seared it at 500 degrees in a convection oven. It wasn’t a spectacular cut of beef, but after it’s 30-hour bath, the texture of the meat was like high-end roast beef. It was really good. I’ll be doing this again.

90783145-974E-484E-BDA2-7A9C3E7E2FC9.thumb.jpeg.dc811f51c7477210faf04617ea174c52.jpeg

That's well done to me.  

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

That's well done to me.  

I was the only one at dinner that likes it rare, so I cooked it a bit more. With a 30 hour cooking time though, it was still remarkably tender and juicy.

11 hours ago, Eric said:

I was the only one at dinner that likes it rare, so I cooked it a bit more. With a 30 hour cooking time though, it was still remarkably tender and juicy.

I bet it was!!  My daughter and my wife...after all these years, have finally come around to medium Rare!!!  In the earlier years, I can't count how many of MY steaks I screwed up tryin to make theirs perfect!!!

On 8/2/2020 at 7:50 PM, Eric said:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
6 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Perfection!  Seriously.

My tenderloin looks like that after 4 min each side on the grill.  You ever use any marinate? Or you a purist?

I do a light rub with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Sometimes I’ll add some Ancho or Chipotle Chile powder. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2020 at 7:27 PM, Historian said:

We have four pans by Lodge...and they are amazing to cook with.

I love to sear things on them.  I'm thinking i need to try the sous vide and finish on the right cast iron.

It should be special.

I have some very old Griswolds and Wagner Ware and one Lodge. The Lodge can't even begin to compare to the old ones.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, Eric said:

The repeatability of the process is amazing. You can dial in the temperature to within a tenth of a degree, to get it exactly where you want it and it will be exactly the same every time you make it thereafter. I love it.

I use an Anova sous vide cooker. It costs about $130. It can be attached to just about any large pot or container, although they sell some nice ones at reasonable prices on Amazon. The lids are cut to go around the cooker unit, so you can have a lid over the water. This prevents too much evaporation on a long cook. I bought a small and a large container with my cooker. Also a metal configurable stand to hold the bags of food in the water, to allow good water flow around them.

You don't have to have one, but a vacuum sealer makes the process much easier. You can cook in most any kind of sealable plastic bags though. Plenty of people use ziplock bags. I don't completely trust the zip locks though. I've had them leak a bit before. I use a sealer and if you look in the pics above, I seal two lines in each end of the bag. If a little liquid or something creates a weak spot in one of the seal ines that might leak, the other one is there.

Anyway, it is a fairly simple process and there is a huge amount of how-to and recipe info available online. I've had a lot of fun figuring things out and putting together a set of good recipes. Right now, I am experimenting with a sous vide turkey meatloaf recipe.

I just don't know if I want to cook in plastic though.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Walt Longmire said:

I just don't know if I want to cook in plastic though.

This type of cooking has been around, in one form or another, since the seventies and I've never heard of any ill effects caused by using the plastic bags. A person can use glass contains for this process as well. There just can't be free air in the container, or heat won't transfer properly and bacteria might breed. I am a big fan of this process of cooking. To each his own though.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I may have made the best potato soup to ever grace the table of a mortal today. I added some corn, red pepper flakes, chicken stock and (This will thrill some of you :crylikeender:), Chopped up kale. There is just the right amount of heat, the corn gives it a little sweet and I like the texture of cooked kale. I used Yukon Gold potatoes. I love how firm they stay when cooked. Good stuff, Maynard.

IMG_6781.thumb.JPG.4d0aebb131250e563a0ccd48fbe6e684.JPG

• Like 4

On 8/2/2020 at 10:22 PM, Historian said:

There is zero doubt you are correct.

The only thing a fine steak needs...

Is you.

"I think that if I had a steak that needed ketchup, I'd feed it to the dog."  Thank you.  

I would never have anyone in my house that put ketchup on a steak...and...any person that knows me...that puts ketchup on their steak...

23 minutes ago, Eric said:

I may have made the best potato soup to ever grace the table of a mortal today. I added some corn, red pepper flakes, chicken stock and (This will thrill some of you :crylikeender:), Chopped up kale. There is just the right amount of heat, the corn gives it a little sweet and I like the texture of cooked kale. I used Yukon Gold potatoes. I love how firm they stay when cooked. Good stuff, Maynard.

IMG_6781.thumb.JPG.4d0aebb131250e563a0ccd48fbe6e684.JPG

Yukon Gold potatoes are my favorite. There is a place up in the Valley run by the state that makes all kinds of potato varieties. They then offer them to folks to plant, grow, and then share how much they liked them and the recipes they used them in. It's called The PMC, Plant and Material Center. They were pushing purple potatoes a couple years ago.

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

If you added a bunch of diced up razor clams and bacon bits to it, that would be an awesome clam chowder.

Yeah, that would have been good, but I didn’t have any and I was too lazy to go to the store. It was kind of a pot luck potato soup, but it came out great. Maybe I’ll grab some bacon for the leftovers tomorrow. I can’t make soup without ending up with a gallon or two of it. 

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, crockett said:

Talking about soup, I made this leek, ground pork, potato, cream cheese soup for Thanksgiving (was just me).

Proper comfort food, also with a hint of heat.

20201126_143935.jpg?width=2760&height=1242

Looks delicious, man.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, Eric said:

I made a big pot of Beef, Barley & Vegatable soup today. I make it every month or so and the leftovers last for weeks, whenever I want a bowl. I love this stuff.

519823971_JPEGimage.thumb.jpeg.dfcde697145ffab1f6165e6c3a64b2e3.jpeg

One of my favorites when cooked a long time and thick.  Looks delicious.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...