Guess What's For Dinner

Eric

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Filet of what with rosemary?  

It's center-cut sirloin. I'll sous vide it for 4 hours, at 129 degrees fahrenheit . It will be as tender as a filet, but tastier. I made a rub with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, ancho chile powder and olive oil. There are thyme and rosemary sprigs in there too, as you can see. After they cook in the sous vide cooker, I'll brown them briefly in a HOT cast iron skillet, with a a little olive oil and butter, plus a little more salt and pepper on the meat.

• Like 7

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Historian said:

Sous vide...

Yeah....amazing!

It is a great system. I could cook those steaks for one hour, or three hours or thirty hours and they would still be a perfect medium rare. They just get more and more tender.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

It is a great system. I could cook those steaks for one hour, or three hours or thirty hours and they would still be a perfect medium rare. They just get more and more tender.

I really need to get more involved with this.  I spent the last six years learning to love cast iron

My bet is if you for a massive fast sear on iron you've got something.

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

I really need to get more involved with this.  I spent the last six years learning to love cast iron

When I do a steak using sous vide, the entire steak is a perfect medium rare all the way to the surface, except for the two or three millimeters of penetration that you get from browning the steak. The system is so precise, you can pasteurize eggs and still leave them essentially raw. I can't think of a use for this particular ability, except maybe to be able to make cookie dough that is safe to eat raw, using eggs. It is a great showcase of the ability of this process though. The results are precise and consistently repeatable.

This must be a kickass tool for a steak house. You can have steaks already cooked and holding at their respective proper temperatures, based on doneness. Then you just unbag and sear them, when they are ordered.

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Historian said:

I have a cast iron wok that I especially love. It holds a lot of heat. I bought a Lodge and they are guaranteed forever. Even the seasoning of the pan is guaranteed. You can send it back to them and they will reseason it for you. Great company. It's easy enough to do at home though, if you watch a few videos on the process. I do like cast iron cookware.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

This must be a kickass tool for a steak house. You can have steaks already cooked and holding at their respective proper temperatures, based on doneness. Then you just unbag and sear them, when they are ordered.

Kinda takes the skill and talent out of the old fashioned way...but i appreciate the respect your method takes for taking care of meat.

Ultimately, i want my steak as close to medium rare as possible...but it's so easy to mess up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I have a cast iron wok that I especially love. It holds a lot of heat. I bought a Lodge and they are guaranteed forever. Even the seasoning of the pan is guaranteed. You can send it back to them and they will reseason it for you. Great company. It's easy enough to do at home though, if you watch a few videos on the process. I do like cast iron cookware.

We have four pans by Lodge...and they are amazing to cook with.

I love to sear things on them.  I'm thinking i need to try the sous vide and finish on the right cast iron.

It should be special.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Historian said:

Kinda takes the skill and talent out of the old fashioned way...but i appreciate the respect your method takes for taking care of meat.

Ultimately, i want my steak as close to medium rare as possible...but it's so easy to mess up.

The repeatability of the process is amazing. You can dial in the temperature to within a tenth of a degree, to get it exactly where you want it and it will be exactly the same every time you make it thereafter. I love it.

I use an Anova sous vide cooker. It costs about $130. It can be attached to just about any large pot or container, although they sell some nice ones at reasonable prices on Amazon. The lids are cut to go around the cooker unit, so you can have a lid over the water. This prevents too much evaporation on a long cook. I bought a small and a large container with my cooker. Also a metal configurable stand to hold the bags of food in the water, to allow good water flow around them.

You don't have to have one, but a vacuum sealer makes the process much easier. You can cook in most any kind of sealable plastic bags though. Plenty of people use ziplock bags. I don't completely trust the zip locks though. I've had them leak a bit before. I use a sealer and if you look in the pics above, I seal two lines in each end of the bag. If a little liquid or something creates a weak spot in one of the seal ines that might leak, the other one is there.

Anyway, it is a fairly simple process and there is a huge amount of how-to and recipe info available online. I've had a lot of fun figuring things out and putting together a set of good recipes. Right now, I am experimenting with a sous vide turkey meatloaf recipe.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eric said:

The repeatability of the process is amazing. You can dial in the temperature to within a tenth of a degree, to get it exactly where you want it and it will be exactly the same every time you make it thereafter. I love it.

Eric, i think i'm going to have to buy one of these based on what you've said.  One of the hard parts in cooking meat is getting the same results across the board and t different times.  Particularly, with a larger cut of meet.

I love a massive thick cut steak.  But it's never easy to cook a steak like that.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Historian said:

We have four pans by Lodge...and they are amazing to cook with.

I love to sear things on them.  I'm thinking i need to try the sous vide and finish on the right cast iron.

It should be special.

I got the cast iron skillet so hot that it was smoking, before I added the olive oil and the steaks. It did a beautiful job with them.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Eric said:

I got the cast iron skillet so hot that it was smoking, before I added the olive oil and the steaks. It did a beautiful job with them.

(expletive) Oh yea!

Eric, that is awesome.

I noticed you said...Steaks...more than one.

A guest?  Perhaps.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Historian said:

(expletive) Oh yea!

Eric, that is awesome.

I noticed you said...Steaks...more than one.

A guest?  Perhaps.

Family. Unfortunately, they like a good steak to be burned beyond all redemption. It saddens me to do that to such a nice cut of cow, but to each his own.:crylikeender: I like mine rare to medium-rare, depending on the cut of meat.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Eric said:

The steaks came out pretty good.

1F196CF9-9400-4F87-A160-37369B6A9556.thumb.jpeg.75dfadc1fec380e748f33b7361dc4b23.jpeg

BTW, those brown things past the steak are some sautéed slices of a really large shitake mushroom. I like to use some garlic and chipotle seasoning on them, along with some olive oil and a little butter. They should sell mushrooms beside the steaks, in the stores. They were meant to be together.

14 minutes ago, Eric said:

Family. Unfortunately, they like a good steak to be burned beyond all redemption. It saddens me to do that to such a nice cut of cow, but to each his own.:crylikeender: I like mine rare to medium-rare, depending on the cut of meat.

My brother from another mother...i agree without zero doubt.

A fine cut, a good cut, should not be done past medium rare.

If that cut is a seriously fine quality...rare leading into medium rare might be the answer.

But what can we say.  I love Mrs. Historian but she will put ketchup on the finest cuts.

I lover her despite that.

Family is...family.

Edited by Historian
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Historian said:

My brother from another mother...i agree without zero doubt.

A fine cut, a good cut, should not be done past medium rare.

If that cut is a seriously fine quality...rare leading into medium rare might be the answer.

But what can we say.  I love Mrs. Historian but she will put ketchup on the finest cuts.

I lover her despite that.

Family is...family.

I think that if I had a steak that needed ketchup, I'd feed it to the dog. I guess the point of the experience and if ketchup is someone's idea of good steak, bon apetite. If I tried it myself and liked it though, I would probably injure myself trying to kick my own ass.

• Haha 1