Interesting Drive

Eric

• Administrators

I’ve been on I-40 all day, headed for Flagstaff and then down to Phoenix.  In western OK, I glanced over at a field with a corrugated steel barn. On it, spray-painted in white letters two feet tall was written, “Joan Jett For Prez!!!”. I could get behind that. 

a couple of hours later, I stopped at a gas station west of Amarillo. I drove through a large puddle of something when I drove up to a gas pump. As I was gassing up, I got a whiff of the puddle. I went back and looked and the puddle was raw sewage. I’m guessing from a leaking holding tank on an RV that gassed up there. Super.  I need to find somewhere that can give my car’s undercarriage a Silkwood Shower. 

About an hour later, I passed a closed weigh station, filled with parked trucks. I looked over just as a driver of one of the trucks parked by the grass next to the shoulder dumped out a really large clear bottle of what had to have been urine. Tres chique. Stay classy New Mexico. 

when I got to Albuquerque, I felt like a go cart on an F1 track. I think I was the only person in ALBQ not speeding tonight. I usually speed too and so do not notice it, I guess. Even the cops were rocketing past me and other speeding motorists. 

What will tomorrow bring, I wonder? I’m going to get some sleep. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Presguy said:

I've had to fly half a dozen times since this all started going down. it's a bit surreal at times; no security lines at airports, empty parking garages, no TSA congestion.

And empty planes - I've thought about bringing a remote controlled car and asking if I can drive it up and down the aise, and a plastic lawn bowling set.

Also weird was seing rental car lots parked solid - not just spaces, but aisles - with disused cars. I got assigned a rental car at one point with a dead battery from sitting so long.

The one that made me blink was the woman on my plane, who boarded with a Costco sized package of toiletpaper as her luggage.

See any Burma shave signs?

Couple weeks or so ago a vacant field in Florida caught fire and destroyed 3500 rental cars stored there. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I think I just met Apu’s psychotic cousin. I just walked into a Circle K in Phoenix. There was a Mexican guy yelling that he didn’t steal nothing. While he said it, he was pulling an amazing amount of store merchandise out of his pockets.

The store owner was an Indian guy. The first thing I heard from him, was him shouting, “I’ll beat the **** out of you!!!” Except it sounded EXACTLY like Apu. He shouted it over and over. Once in a while he also shouted, “This is my hood!”

He chased the guy out of the store and followed him down the street shouting at him. Phoenix hasn’t changed a bit. 

• Sad 1

I think I just met Apu’s psychotic cousin. I just walked into a Circle K in Phoenix. There was a Mexican guy yelling that he didn’t steal nothing. While he said it, he was pulling an amazing amount of store merchandise out of his pockets.

The store owner was an Indian guy. The first thing I heard from him, was him shouting, “I’ll beat the **** out of you!!!” Except it sounded EXACTLY like Apu. He shouted it over and over. Once in a while he also shouted, “This is my hood!”
He chased the guy out of the store and followed him down the street shouting at him. Phoenix hasn’t changed a bit. 

Stay classy Phoenix. Couldn’t have happened in Scottsdale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Eric said:

I’ve been on I-40 all day, headed for Flagstaff and then down to Phoenix.  In western OK, I glanced over at a field with a corrugated steel barn. On it, spray-painted in white letters two feet tall was written, “Joan Jett For Prez!!!”. I could get behind that. 

a couple of hours later, I stopped at a gas station west of Amarillo. I drove through a large puddle of something when I drove up to a gas pump. As I was gassing up, I got a whiff of the puddle. I went back and looked and the puddle was raw sewage. I’m guessing from a leaking holding tank on an RV that gassed up there. Super.  I need to find somewhere that can give my car’s undercarriage a Silkwood Shower. 

About an hour later, I passed a closed weigh station, filled with parked trucks. I looked over just as a driver of one of the trucks parked by the grass next to the shoulder dumped out a really large clear bottle of what had to have been urine. Tres chique. Stay classy New Mexico. 

when I got to Albuquerque, I felt like a go cart on an F1 track. I think I was the only person in ALBQ not speeding tonight. I usually speed too and so do not notice it, I guess. Even the cops were rocketing past me and other speeding motorists. 

What will tomorrow bring, I wonder? I’m going to get some sleep. 

A couple years ago I was making the same drive on I-40 headed to Phoenix. I stopped at a truck stop in NM to grab some gas and a sub from Subway for dinner. I was eating in my car and had a front row seat to a truck driver getting arrested for soliciting an undercover policewoman. It was like an episode of Cops the way they swarmed on him. Poor bastard should've known better. She was way too pretty to be a lot lizard. 

Too bad most everything is shut down, otherwise I'd buy you a beer or two while you're in Phoenix. Maybe another time.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 5:04 AM, Presguy said:

no TSA congestion.

You still have to produce an approved picture ID,  but the TSA will not make them pull the mask off of their face.  Brilliant!

Trucker bombs.  I think they've always done that. 

A new thing I've noticed over the last year or two,  in many states,  is passenger car drivers that just pull to the side of the interstate... and whip it out.  On the shoulder.  No more trying to at least get to the trees.  Just standing there, by the back bumper.

And RV owners just let it slowly drip.  Then you don't have to pay to dump as often.  It's good for the carpet.

• Sad 1