Vegas carjacking media briefing

TBO

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2020/apr/24/video-shows-would-be-carjacker-shot-by-police-afte/

The officer tried to pull over Rosa, but he took off, said Zimmerman, noting that Metro policy dictates that officers can only pursue if the motorist is in the middle of a felony offense or an imminent danger to the public.

At that point, he was neither, so Metro dispatched a helicopter instead and employed the “bubble tactic,” in which officers will establish a mobile perimeter, guided by the helicopter while following traffic laws, Zimmerman said. 

I wonder if the driver in the red car considered him an imminent danger to the public?  

• Like 3

Shot in the back as he was running away.  Not defending the thief, but there's no way a non-cop could get away with a shoot like that.  
Are you saying it was a bad shoot?

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBO said:

Are you saying it was a bad shoot?

I'm a bit biased because I put thieves in the same category as rapists and child molesters and feel all three should be shot in the middle of the streets like rabid dogs.  That said, I don't think it was a good shoot if it was done by an armed citizen and not a cop.  Let's not pretend that cops don't get away with things that civilians can't.  

I'm a bit biased because I put thieves in the same category as rapists and child molesters and feel all three should be shot in the middle of the streets like rabid dogs.  That said, I don't think it was a good shoot if it was done by an armed citizen and not a cop.  Let's not pretend that cops don't get away with things that civilians can't.  
Do you believe this shooting was in violation of the law?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TBO said:

In my mind it was textbook.  Even if it was a citizen, it would/could be argued you were defending the driver of the red car.  Even if you didn't know them.  Not too hard to sell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TBO said:

I did not see the jacker at anytime point his shotgun at the cops and even the guy doing the briefing said that the gun was not fired.  As a CCer I can only legally shoot someone who's an immediate threat to my life.  A guy with his back to me running away is not legally a threat to my life.  Obviously this varies from state to state, but in my state I can 99.9% guarantee that I would have plenty of legal issues if I shot someone in the back running from me and killed them.  That's all I'm trying to say.   

11 minutes ago, Maser said:

I did not see the jacker at anytime point his shotgun at the cops and even the guy doing the briefing said that the gun was not fired.  As a CCer I can only legally shoot someone who's an immediate threat to my life.  A guy with his back to me running away is not legally a threat to my life.  Obviously this varies from state to state, but in my state I can 99.9% guarantee that I would have plenty of legal issues if I shot someone in the back running from me and killed them.  That's all I'm trying to say.   

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2018/12/shot-in-the-back-murder-or-self-defense/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So do you agree the Cops did not violate any law?

9 hours ago, Maser said:

Shot in the back as he was running away.  Not defending the thief, but there's no way a non-cop could get away with a shoot like that.  

You must not have watched the video.:upeyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TBO said:

So do you agree the Cops did not violate any law?

Okay, now you're just trolling me.  Not sure what exactly you're trying to bait me into posting, but I said all that I needed to say already about the incident. 

Okay, now you're just trolling me.  Not sure what exactly you're trying to bait me into posting, but I said all that I needed to say already about the incident. 

You have the option to not engage a person who is a danger to others. The police, not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Maser said:

Uh, da PO-lice in NV may use deadly force to protect others, effect an arrest, and to stop a dangerous suspect.  I don't think it can be disputed that this guy was a dangerous suspect.  Boomies until he stoppies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maser said:

I think that depends more on jurisdiction.  I don't think the DA in my area would press charges.  TN law requires ability, intent, and opportunity to cause death or serious bodily injury.  When he points the gun at the driver of the red car, all three requirements are met, and there is no way to know that just because he turned his back, he wouldn't reengage.  He obviously still met 2 of the 3 requirements, and #3 is a reasonable assumption.  He still had the possibility of taking cover behind the car, and reengaging.  Even in civilian training, we are taught to move during and after action, so it could be assumed that the perp was moving to cover.  The only thing that would have changed the circumstances is if he dropped the gun.  As long has he held on to the gun, he still had ability, opportunity, and intent. 

It looked like officer Tamino (sp?) fired his first shots while the perp was squared off facing him, and if he was hit in the back it was after he spun.  Not that it matters for justification, but it would be interesting to see how many and where the officers landed hits. 

The perp never really pointed his gun at the officers, nor did he drop it when taking lead.  Looking at the video from the business, you see that after he broke contact with the civilian, as he turned, the shotgun was at the low ready.  Not that it matters.  It was definitely a good shoot for the officers because they are charged with more responsibility, and most likely a good shoot for civilians in my area.

• Like 3