About masks

Dric902

We have a few medical people here. So I want to know

when the experts came out and said to not wear masks unless your sick, “wearing a mask doesn’t keep you from getting sick, it’s for the sick to not spread the virus”

that sounded weird to me.

I’ve coughed into a mask before, it doesn’t work very well. I have never seen a nurse or medical people put a mask on the patient.

they put them on themselves. Are the nurses sick and the patients well? I understand there are many more things than the coronavirus but are the quarantine wards putting masks on the patients?

sounds dumb. Either the mask is a barrier to the virus or it’s not, it doesn’t go one way only.

Tucker Carlson finally put it into words about lying to the people about it. There is a shortage, tell the people and they will understand and respond. 

“Official people” telling us that wearing a mask doesn’t keep you from getting sick, only wear a mask if your sick to not spread it is a manipulation.

Now there’s this:

https://www.newsmax.com/us/cdc-face-masks-virus-covid-19/2020/03/31/id/960671/

Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are considering changing their guidance and encouraging people to wear masks when they go out in public.

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Historian said:

From what i understand:  The mask helps but is not a 100 percent item.   The gloves and eye protection can stop another vector for the virus. 

I started wearing heavy leather gloves when fueling up.   That sort of thing.

I wore Mechanix gloves fueling the other day. Then sprayed the contact area with spray disinfectant. tom.

• Like 1

Surgical masks are designed, as my colleague NPTim so eloquently put it in another thread, to protect the patient from the surgeon. That's the mask you see all the Chinese people wearing- they're kinda square, with ear straps. On the other hand, the N95 protects the wearer from the environment. Those are the more rounded ones, with straps that go around the head.

And yes, we do put masks on patients, even before this plague. A good example of that is a tuberculosis patient- they get a mask, too.

• Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Surgical masks are designed, as my colleague NPTim so eloquently put it in another thread, to protect the patient from the surgeon. That's the mask you see all the Chinese people wearing- they're kinda square, with ear straps. On the other hand, the N95 protects the wearer from the environment. Those are the more rounded ones, with straps that go around the head.

And yes, we do put masks on patients, even before this plague. A good example of that is a tuberculosis patient- they get a mask, too.

It just makes sense.  Whatever you can do to be safe.

I've taken eating bats off my list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ramjet38 said:

All well, but where do you buy a mask?  I can't even find a dust mask to use while mowing the lawn.

I keep masks and respirators in the pockylips box.  When I first heard of the kung flu, I hit a few places around town to buy some extras.  They were mostly already gone.  That was the first or second week of January.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

I keep masks and respirators in the pockylips box.  When I first heard of the kung flu, I hit a few places around town to buy some extras.  They were mostly already gone.  That was the first or second week of January.

I still have a few dust mask from last summer, and one N95 left from when I dura-coated a pistol, but there's none to buy commercially where I live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

You're still eating possum innards, though, right?

OIP.anKSPSpje4U1wFwOx9JiGAHaFF.jpeg

I shoot critters out of my back yard and eat'em.

My wife didn't know stir fried squirrel could taste that good.

And to think.  I just have to watch the bird feeder until the get fat, dumb and stupid.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Historian said:

I shot critters out of my back yard and eat'em.

My wife didn't know stir fried squirrel could taste that good.

And to think.  I just have to watch the bird feeder until the get fat, dumb and stupid.

Does that qualify as baiting?

it does point out a failing in our ‘prepping’

food, water, heat....no masks

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Does that qualify as baiting?

it does point out a failing in our ‘prepping’

food, water, heat....no masks

I don't think a lot of people thought about it.  They were mostly concerned with food, power, maybe coms (you need to be a ham if you're not).

Over the years I was always more concerned with bloodborne pathogens.  Even our CPR masks were designed around that concept.

Honestly, i think the answer is 10 acres and a fence.

And it's not baiting.  I'm defending my bird feeder from Big Chunky the squirrel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dric902 said:

We have a few medical people here. So I want to know

when the experts came out and said to not wear masks unless your sick, “wearing a mask doesn’t keep you from getting sick, it’s for the sick to not spread the virus”

that sounded weird to me.

I’ve coughed into a mask before, it doesn’t work very well. I have never seen a nurse or medical people put a mask on the patient.

they put them on themselves. Are the nurses sick and the patients well? I understand there are many more things than the coronavirus but are the quarantine wards putting masks on the patients?

sounds dumb. Either the mask is a barrier to the virus or it’s not, it doesn’t go one way only.

Tucker Carlson finally put it into words about lying to the people about it. There is a shortage, tell the people and they will understand and respond. 

“Official people” telling us that wearing a mask doesn’t keep you from getting sick, only wear a mask if your sick to not spread it is a manipulation.

Now there’s this:

https://www.newsmax.com/us/cdc-face-masks-virus-covid-19/2020/03/31/id/960671/

Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are considering changing their guidance and encouraging people to wear masks when they go out in public.

So, Antifa is now relevant!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Historian said:

From what i understand:  The mask helps but is not a 100 percent item.   The gloves and eye protection can stop another vector for the virus. 

I started wearing heavy leather gloves when fueling up.   That sort of thing.

Nothing is 100%, people are always the weak link.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

Nothing is 100%, people are always the weak link.

Well in the case of the masks the virus is very small (microns) and i wanted to say the n75 is a great mask but it's only about 5 microns. 

So it stops the flood but may not get the golden bb...if you get my drift.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Historian said:

Well in the case of the masks the virus is very small (microns) and i wanted to say the n75 is a great mask but it's only about 5 microns. 

So it stops the flood but may not get the golden bb...if you get my drift.

When you talk about Micron particles, I haven't see a mask yet that doesn't leak through the skin contact.  Faces contort consciously or unconsciously, air pressure from breathing and talking changes, and during this time the skin surface changes and the mask leaks.

I'm not saying masks are not a good idea, just that they aren't the panacea many people that know little about them, think they are.

Yes, I have had hazardous material training including the use of masks for hazardous gases.

All this being said, I have close cut facial hair and it's going to stay.  If warranted I may resort to my fume mask but not today!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, janice6 said:

When you talk about Micron particles, I haven't see a mask yet that doesn't leak through the skin contact.  Faces contort consciously or unconsciously, air pressure from breathing and talking changes, and during this time the skin surface changes and the mask leaks.

I'm not saying masks are not a good idea, just that they aren't the panacea many people that know little about them, think they are.

Yes, I have had hazardous material training including the use of masks for hazardous gases.

All this being said, I have close cut facial hair and it's going to stay.  If warranted I may resort to my fume mask but not today!

Exactly.  I could not have put it better.

Interesting the concept of shaving really didn't take hold in our culture until WWI....because you wanted a good fit for your gas mask.  The wrist watch became popular then, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surgical masks are NOT intended to protect the wearer.  Surgical masks are intended to keep spittle from flying about and contaminating sterile areas.
NIOSH approved respirators such as N95 filtering facepieces ARE intended to protect the wearer.

Because of the shortage of PPE, the CDC and others are so desperate they are even recoemending (BEYOND STUPID) wearing bandandas for protection in lieu of nothing. 

I have seen a number of articles about expireid filtering facepieces not being used.  I'll take an expired N95 filtering facepiece over any of the makeshift nonsense that is going on! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2