Zzzzzzzz.....

kerbie18

21 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

That's the sound of me falling asleep in my police car. The corona virus has shut down all life. Good god, what I wouldn't give for a proper 911 call.

Bored. Bored. Bored.

one Adam-12; one Adam-12....Car 54, where are you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In 2000 we were expecting all sorts of stuff to happen...that night of patrol was insanely slow.

We caught one car thief....and had some cows lose...that's what i can remember.  All the red necks stayed home.

Any other new years i could expect to be in at least one fight.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 5:07 PM, Historian said:

In 2000 we were expecting all sorts of stuff to happen...that night of patrol was insanely slow.

We caught one car thief....and had some cows lose...that's what i can remember.  All the red necks stayed home.

Any other new years i could expect to be in at least one fight.

I only became a police officer in 2002. But, myself and my dad vividly made preps, just in case for the Y2K bug. There was real reason to fear the Y2K bug, but it was mostly fixed in advance, and amounted to little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

I only became a police officer in 2002. But, myself and my dad vividly made preps, just in case for the Y2K bug. There was real reason to fear the Y2K bug, but it was mostly fixed in advance, and amounted to little.

Ayep.  Very true.  At the time i worked a small rural county.   If all the electronic items died that night.  They wouldn't have noticed.

• Like 1

Plenty of psyche, check welfare, suicide threat calls here, along with disturbance & and neighbor trouble call.

Druggies still stealing and breaking into things.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

Most warnings of an apocalypse in modern times, are from people so disenchanted with their lives they want to believe everyone will pay for their discomfort.  I think they even hope for this.

The other group are those who want to make the populace believe that rather than suffer the calamity, they should allow these people to control everything and every body.  The apocalypse is a made up thing by people that believe the ignorant will follow them.  

The actuality is, that we are smart as a species and have the corner on cleverness and innovation.  We can work our way out of anything short of a cosmic event.  Never, never, sell Man short of forcing the reality to conform to his wishes.  I have seen some of what man can do when the chips are down.  I believe in man more than I believe in horror and terror crap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Most warnings of an apocalypse in modern times, are from people so disenchanted with their lives they want to believe everyone will pay for their discomfort.  I think they even hope for this.

I don't remember exactly where we were but i was about 17 and with dad who was in the Navy at the time and at least a Commander.

Anyway.  We walked past some idiot with a sign that said the world was about to end.

As we walked past dad turned suddenly faced the man and said, "Damn it, man! That's classified information!"   Dad turned and walked away.

The guy looked...shocked.

• Haha 6

29 minutes ago, OGW said:

Note to police officers:  Thanks for what you do.  I think your jobs will become much harder in the weeks and months to come.

Thank the nurses as well. They are catching hell. 

Edited by Historian
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Though I'm not bored by any means, the ER has been unseasonably slow this week, with probably a 30% drop in daily numbers of patients coming through. The lion's share of the patients are respiratory complaints, probably somewhere between 30 and 40%. 8 active cases in my county, one admitted upstairs in my hospital, no deaths (yet).

Picked a helluva time to become an ER nurse practitioner.

Y'all be safe out there. And let one person you were gonna ticket, off, for me. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

The actuality is, that we are smart as a species and have the corner on cleverness and innovation.  We can work our way out of anything short of a cosmic event.  Never, never, sell Man short of forcing the reality to conform to his wishes.  I have seen some of what man can do when the chips are down.  I believe in man more than I believe in horror and terror crap.

Sir. I respect your age and experience, but, alas, you are dead wrong on this.

Persons (INDIVIDUALS) are smart.

PEOPLE are sheep. and there's a pack of wolves killing the sheepdog.

We are not a species borne to last. Opposable thumbs and sentience have done our planet more harm than good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, tadbart said:

Sir. I respect your age and experience, but, alas, you are dead wrong on this.

Persons (INDIVIDUALS) are smart.

PEOPLE are sheep. and there's a pack of wolves killing the sheepdog.

We are not a species borne to last. Opposable thumbs and sentience have done our planet more harm than good. 

I guess I have seen the other  side of man due to my vocation.  Some will always look to other to save them, and unfortunately, they probably will.

• Like 1

As of today...what is the least used item LE has at its disposal? (unscientific and just playing around)

The Radar Speed gun. 

No one is out. They might as well turn off the traffic control lights, too. No one is there to law abide. LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I guess I have seen the other  side of man due to my vocation.  Some will always look to other to save them, and unfortunately, they probably will.

The best and most meaningful moments of my life have always been in service to others. 

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

• Thanks 2

funny y2k story. at san quentin headquarters sent a memo for us to come up with a contingency plan if the power goes out. how would we get the doors open, how would we cook etc. 

our response was basically the newest cell block was built in 1918 and all of the doors have the original key locks. the heat and kitchen run on steam and we have a generator for the lights. we’ll be fine. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, arnold ziffle said:

funny y2k story. at san quentin headquarters sent a memo for us to come up with a contingency plan if the power goes out. how would we get the doors open, how would we cook etc. 

our response was basically the newest cell block was built in 1918 and all of the doors have the original key locks. the heat and kitchen run on steam and we have a generator for the lights. we’ll be fine. 

But everybody else has a plan so we must need on too, even if it's not necessary...……..  Your and my idiot neighbors in government.  I don't believe that there is a brain among them.  They run on stupidity and larceny.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arnold ziffle said:

There used to be a feller on GT who worked San Quentin...i think...as a guard.  He had some astonishing stories.

Have to admit those old cell blocks sound like they should be on the historic register. 

• Like 1