Entertainment industry calls for federal assistance

Ricordo

An estimated 120,000 entertainment industry workers have lost their jobs due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and they’re now calling for federal aid.  https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/entertainment-industry-workers-120000-federal-assistance

Here's a better idea. Instead of dirtying their hands with "Trump blood-money" perhaps they will be better off with donations from the likes of Debra Messing, Chris Evans, Meryl Streep, Whoopie Goldberg, Rob Reiner, Bette Midler, Trevor Noah, Don Cheadle, Robert DeNiro, Mark Ruffalo, and oh-so-many others that put their mouths where their butts are. https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/stars-criticized-trump-coronavirus-response

In the end, I'm certain they will all feel so much better for it.

26155704-8129673-image-m-22_158460986579

Edited by Ricordo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In my eternal pursuit of helping others, I could also recommend to them that they learn how to code or become farmers.

It works the same way. Drop a seed, stomp on it, and watch it grow.

If there's something this country really needs now is seed-watchers.

No need to thank me. Just doin' my part...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

For every moronic and political ‘star’

there are dozens of grips, builders, wardrobe, set workers, camera operators, writers, editors, etc

I'd be more sympathetic if it hadn't been obvious this was going to happen eventually "someday", and everyone should have been "prepped" for it.  But they chose to go into industries that would be the first to cease work as "non-essential" in any sort of emergency.  Emergencies happen.  NIMBY thinking is an example of idiocracy, and so is expecting the federal gov't to take care of everything, especially when it is an emergency affecting the entire nation.  Yes, there will be second and third order effects, particularly on the economy, and with especial consequences in non-essential industries/services, but we shouldn't devalue the USD with temporary fixes that will only extend the life of bloated, inefficient, over-regulated, or unnecessary, industries or services (and I'm looking at AIG, Boeing, Hollywood) and prolong everyone's suffering.  JMHO, YMMV.

Edited by Mrs.Cicero
typos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'd be more sympathetic if it hadn't been obvious this was going to happen eventually "someday", and everyone should have been "prepped" for it.  But they chose to go into industries that would be the first to cease work as "non-essential" in any sort of emergency.  Emergencies happen.  NIMBY thinking is an example of idiocracy, and so is expecting the federal gov't to take care of everything, especially when it is an emergency affecting the entire nation.  Yes, there will be second and third order effects, particularly on the economy, and with especial consequences in non-essential industries/services, but we shouldn't devalue the USD with temporary fixes that will only extend the life of bloated, inefficient, over-regulated, or unnecessary, industries or services (and I'm looking at AIG, Boeing, Hollywood) and prolong everyone's suffering.  JMHO, YMMV.

I'd rather see $4,000.00 go to a waitress than a penny to the obliviated. self-aggrandizing, hypocritical  fools who can't see beyond 6 inches from their face. Let their own take care of them.

"Physician, heal thyself."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

People in the movie business might actually have it tougher than most. Years ago when I had reason to visit the industry supported nursing home for former employees of the movie industry in southern California I was struck by how many of the residents in the nursing home were really not that frail or disabled, and in another environment would likely have still been living at home with family providing their support and caregiving. But as a group, movie industry people were far less likely to ever marry and have families. While they might be relatively low paid support people, the allure of being part of the "movies" was so strong as to be the dominant aspect of their lives. People in this situation are likely to be without an extended support system when things go badly for them. But all that said, its hard to generate personal sympathy for these folks when so many others are suffering as badly or worse. Just think about all the people whose income is almost totally dependent on tips, such as servers and bar tenders. Those people are really, really hurting already and with all the bars and restaurants likely to go out of business shortly, the chances for re-employment are likely much lower than for people in other lines of work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

Unfortunately, these are not the overpaid actors and spokespeople for the poorly thought out causes.  These are likely trained technicians and roadies that do all the work that makes the overpaid actors look good.   

True. Maybe they should do things like refuse to work for the Allyssa Milanos & Whoopie Goldbergs of the world to avoid being sullied by association.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Unfortunately, these are not the overpaid actors and spokespeople for the poorly thought out causes.  These are likely trained technicians and roadies that do all the work that makes the overpaid actors look good.   

Then they shouldn't have alligned themselves with the devils they work with and for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ricordo said:

Debra Messing, Chris Evans, Meryl Streep, Whoopie Goldberg, Rob Reiner, Bette Midler, Trevor Noah, Don Cheadle, Robert DeNiro, Mark Ruffalo...

*    *    *    crickets    *    *    *

I would have thought that by now they would have established a relief fund for their own with at least $15 million in capital.

After all, aren't they the ones who patronize---"I'd like to thank our crew..." at every single opportunity.

Heaven forbid it was all lip service...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Both MLB and the NBA will cover employee's salaries (office and stadium/part-time/full-time) during this period.

What's that I hear from the Hollowoodsie folks?

*    *    *    crickets     *     *     *

I sure hope that they liquidated all of their stock portfolios yesterday. I guess they wouldn't want anything to do with that dirty Trump blood-money.

Edited by Ricordo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holly Wood wont bat an eyelash to rewrite and re shoot an entire movie for the Chinese market.

they bend right over for China, they can deal with the Effects of it.

ask China for a bailout or have the rich Junkies and Pervert Commies pitch in and pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2