Another price for mild winter weather...

railfancwb

The bugs are not cut back or killed off. 

Couple years ago I lost a cat to bobcat fever, and daughter and I each almost lost another. 

Bobcats are carriers for the germ which causes bobcat fever. Ticks transmit the disease to domestic cats. 

Son in law and I each pulled a tick off yesterday. 

So we will need to put flea/tick killer medicine on each cat. And cats just LOVE to be medicated. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

yup, only hit -30* three times this year..

hope the cats are Okay though.

If it's a gradually slide into extreme cold weather,  the creepy-crawlies will just hunker down and hibernate.

A sudden drop from too warm to way too cold, like overnight,  they get wiped.  (we had a bunch of those swings this winter;  we'll see.)

• Like 1

I always thought that about mild winters, but then I started wondering if cold weather really killed bugs out.  A concept that is strange to me being from the South, is how northerners leave the snow on their yards to insulate the roots from the cold weather.  I started wondering if maybe it does the same for bugs.

2 hours ago, PPQer said:

I always thought that about mild winters, but then I started wondering if cold weather really killed bugs out.  A concept that is strange to me being from the South, is how northerners leave the snow on their yards to insulate the roots from the cold weather.  I started wondering if maybe it does the same for bugs.

We leave the snow because the ground is frozen hard to a frost depth of 5 feet.  Screw the bugs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The spider population in my house seems to have gone down quite a bit.  Hopefully it will get back to normal soon.  I know that sounds weird, but spiders for me are nothing more than free and natural insecticide.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1