Just filled up at the pump, $2.15 a gal...

TBO

My wife yapped at me the other day about how Trump (she's not a hater,  but we disagree on a lot) hasn't "saved" the coal industry,  as promised.  I work in a lot of coal-burning places.

My opinion was that he removed and adjusted regulations,  and gave them a wide-open berth to do their best.  But at the same time,  he went gonzo on allowing oil and gas extraction and production.

It's been almost four years now,  and it's cheaper for large industrial processes to convert to oil and, especially, gas. 

While saving coal,  he also put them out of business.

Funny how capitalism works.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

My wife yapped at me the other day about how Trump (she's not a hater,  but we disagree on a lot) hasn't "saved" the coal industry,  as promised.  I work in a lot of coal-burning places.

My opinion was that he removed and adjusted regulations,  and gave them a wide-open berth to do their best.  But at the same time,  he went gonzo on allowing oil and gas extraction and production.

It's been almost four years now,  and it's cheaper for large industrial processes to convert to oil and, especially, gas. 

Energy companies are paranoid about fossil fuels.  At least with competitively priced Natural Gas, they don't have to argue with those against Coal.  And its got less infrastructure to support.  Coal is cheapest, but NG has less risk of regulation.

Remember how Hillary touted that closing down the Coal industry would be "Greener", but she cared little for the survival of Appalachia.  Those people didn't have enough money for her and the Democrats to give a second thought to.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

India and China will likely buy all the steam quality coal the States can mine and ship for awhile. They are still building coal fired power plants. 

but that’s OK. Coal burned in their plants doesn’t contribute to climate change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

India and China will likely buy all the steam quality coal the States can mine and ship for awhile. They are still building coal fired power plants. 

but that’s OK. Coal burned in their plants doesn’t contribute to climate change. 

And...…………  They don't give a crap!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

And...…………  They don't give a crap!

A co-worker did a lot of work in China (and S. America).  To borrow money from the World Bank,  they had to agree to comply with the standard accepted pollution standards.  So we'd sell them a lot of equipment.

My friend constantly saw them buy our equipment,  install and certify it,  and as soon as the "World" inspectors signed off on it,  they'd unplug everything.

• Like 2

He said he witnessed America's "Electronic Recycling Goodness".

We'd ship them tankers full of dead electronics.  They'd dump them in the middle of the street and set them on fire. When the pile was cold enough,  children would sift through the ashes and pick the metal out.

But,  Green makes us feel good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I reckon that those 19th century whalers were mad that kerosene became cheap and abundant.

Just as I reckon they all got over it and found other work and -- gasp! actually survived.

Blame John Rockefeller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have Dillon's grocery stores here and they have "fuel points". For every $1 spent you get a point. For every 100 points it's .10 cents off per gallon of gas at Kwik Shop. Both companies are owned by Kroger.

You are allowed up to 35 gallons at the discounted price. Since we by our food at Dillon's anyway ( to avoid Walmart's stop and check policy) our last gas purchase was $1.64 per gallon and we filled two vehicles.That was .50 cents off per gallon.This was for a month of grocery shopping.

Edited by G21H30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, G21H30 said:

We have Dillon's grocery stores here and they have "fuel points". For every $1 spent you get a point. For every 100 points it's .10 cents off per gallon of gas at Kwik Shop. Both companies are owned by Kroger.

You are allowed up to 35 gallons at the discounted price. Since we by our food at Dillon's anyway ( to avoid Walmart's stop and check policy) our last gas purchase was $1.64 per gallon and we filled two vehicles.That was .50 cents off per gallon.This was for a month of grocery shopping.

Their parent (?) Kroger has a similar points setup. They periodically offer 4x fuel points on gift cards. At that time I buy cards for places at which I eat and shop regularly, and throw the points on my daughters card. She commutes a good way and her husband drives a lot so they can absorb 35 gallons a couple times a month. I’m retired and no longer drive much.  

• Thanks 1