Excel For Gun Inventory

railfancwb

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Anyone use Excel for your gun inventory?

If you do, what are your column headings?

And what is your column sequence?

Thanks

It's nothing special.  I just made one up and the column headings are because of the guns I purchase, many were gifted to my family members. So I had to document the pertinent details for that. Other headings are trivia.

My first column is a number from the first gun acquired to the last.

Next column is a description of what I acquired.

Next column is The source I got the gun from.

Next column is another description of the gun with details not on the general description first column.

Next column is type carry ammunition I use in it along with the gun ID.

Next column is The shooter using the gun.

Next column is the gun finish (Blue/Stainless/ etc.

Next column is The owner's name. (some are my wife's, some went to other family members)

Next column is Who it was sold to.

Next column is The amount it was sold for.

Next column is The date it was sold.

Next column is the date the gun was bought by me.

Next column is the serial number on the gun.

Next column is another name of who owns the gun.

I had no reason for what I put into the column names.  These headings are for me and were not done for any legal reasons.  

I  also colored the background of each gun with a color that relates to the present owner.  So the rows have colors corresponding to the person who has possession of the gun.  I did this simply to make it quicker to reference who had what gun at a glance.

Remember, I simply did this for my convenience and for Insurance purposes.  If you intend this for legal purposes, get a better reference than me.

Edited by janice6
  • Thanks 1

Across the top, my columns are caliber, make, model, serial number, mags, scope, and note.

I group them by caliber. The note column is for things like recalls (Rem 700), and 4473 status. Come to think of it, I should probably remove the ones without a 4473.

Edited by tadbart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a workbook and use a sheet for every firearm.  I keep up with when purchased, where, SN, price, installed optics, dates, training, ammo brands, and round count.  I also insert pictures of targets after the first range trip, and any outings for specific reasons like mounting a new optic.  The tabs at the bottom are in basic order, and titled BCM AR, Colt AR, PPQ-1, G19, P99, XDM, Sig 229, etc.

Every worksheet is a history of that firearm.  When you insert pictures from a file, you can adjust the size of the picture, so it's easy to keep the targets organized.  Even though I keep pictures of most targets, it helps to insert the pertinent targets into the worksheet.  Example: this past weekend I mounted a Steiner LPVO on my BCM AR.  After getting it zeroed at 50 yards, I compared M855 and M193 side by side.  Then I moved the target out to 100 yards to see the rise of POI.  I inserted picture of those targets into the BCM worksheet and it gives me a quick reference how it shoots at 100 yards when zeroed at 50.  And it was almost perfect to the ballistic chart.  Just under 2" at 125 yards.  Me likes the data. 

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I'm kinda scared to have my "inventory" (such that it is) on anything digital.  I keep a paper logbook in my lockbox and pictures stored on a file locker on my phone (the same type most people use to hide nudie pics - but I got no nudie pics).

I'm not that paranoid

YET

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Maser said:

Real men use Lotus 123.  ;)

And they do their paper correspondence using WordStar. 

Software Trivia:

In the heyday of Lotus 1-2-3 there was BoeingCalc. Yes, that Boeing. It had the “look and feel” of Lotus 1-2-3 but with pages such as Excel now has. Unlike Lotus 1-2-3 it was not memory bound by tge amount of RAM in the computer, it used hard drive space as virtual RAM. This was during the period when Lotus was fighting Borland in court because its spreadsheet program had the Lotus look and feel. 

30 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

Wordstar was miles ahead of the competition. Best DOS based text editor around back in the '90's. Still would be very usable today.

Indeed it would be. 

WordStar set the high bit “funny” for the last letter in each word (to deal with end of line word wrap) which made it unsuitable for writing program code. Found a freeware or shareware clone which had the user interface but not the high bit issue and used it for coding dBase apps. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Maser said:

Speaking of MS-DOS, God bless the DOSBox emulator that lets us play all them old school DOS games on modern PCs.  Gotta love old school Duke Nukem and Commander Keen. 

I got so into DOOM it was obsessive. Then I went NASCAR Racing by Papyrus before EA Sports hosed it. Then it was on to Ghost Recon....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Indeed it would be. 

WordStar set the high bit “funny” for the last letter in each word (to deal with end of line word wrap) which made it unsuitable for writing program code. Found a freeware or shareware clone which had the user interface but not the high bit issue and used it for coding dBase apps. 

You could save as text (well, ASCII). There were also scads of little programs available to convert from WS to ASCII. I wrote one in TP, IIRC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

VisiCalc FTW

I started with Kaypro computer using C/PM (can never remember which side of the “P” gets slashed).

There were a bunch of C/PM Calc programs available, including CalcStar from the WordStar people. I settled on Microsoft’s Multiplan, which I used well into the DOS/Windows era. Finally moved to Excel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

I started with Kaypro computer using C/PM (can never remember which side of the “P” gets slashed).

There were a bunch of C/PM Calc programs available, including CalcStar from the WordStar people. I settled on Microsoft’s Multiplan, which I used well into the DOS/Windows era. Finally moved to Excel. 

It's "Control Program / Microcomputers". I almost bought a Kaypro luggable in '83.

• Like 1