Deer invasion

jmohme

Coming home two nights ago, there were 10 deer in my yard. All does.

I guess the scent lingers, because look who came to visit yesterday morning.

DSC_2472s.jpg

He didn't stick around long though.

DSC_2475s.jpg

DSC_2476s.jpg

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jmohme said:

Coming home two nights ago, there were 10 deer in my yard. All does.

I guess the scent lingers, because look who came to visit yesterday morning.

DSC_2472s.jpg

He didn't stick around long though.

DSC_2475s.jpg

DSC_2476s.jpg

Their ability to jump and maneuver in thick woods and brush is amazing.

The ones in my yard, when surprised, seem to just appear in another place without any prior movement to indicate that they are getting ready to jump.

They are beautiful to watch.  For some reason, they will graze in my front yard planter and only eat the crabapple tree shoots, while totally ignoring the ground cover Hostas.  Yet they eat Hostas of my neighbors and my kids, right to the ground.  Strange.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

First of all, those are some beautiful pictures.

But, I hate seeing deer jumping fences. I've had to put down several deer over the years that tried to jump too high of a fence. The results were not pretty. ?

I understand.    But unharmed, they still are a majestic creature.  So delicate and such grace of movement.

• Like 1

My dad lives near Mt St Helens. He gets an unbelievable amount of game coming onto his property almost daily. The deer come daily for sure. He goes out in the morning and says, "Time to eat" and they come running. He also has elk visiting frequently. Raccoons, Possums, Skunks, Turkeys, there is a cedar tree the Pileated wood peckers nest in. He has had Bobcats, Bears, and Cougars. I'm sure I am missing some stuff. The elk around there are suffering from hoof rot. It is very disheartening to see the number of limpers in the hers. They don't survive. The deer had a problem causing them to lose vast amounts of hair. I think that has pretty much run it's course. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

My dad lives near Mt St Helens. He gets an unbelievable amount of game coming onto his property almost daily. The deer come daily for sure. He goes out in the morning and says, "Time to eat" and they come running. He also has elk visiting frequently. Raccoons, Possums, Skunks, Turkeys, there is a cedar tree the Pileated wood peckers nest in. He has had Bobcats, Bears, and Cougars. I'm sure I am missing some stuff. The elk around there are suffering from hoof rot. It is very disheartening to see the number of limpers in the hers. They don't survive. The deer had a problem causing them to lose vast amounts of hair. I think that has pretty much run it's course. 

A business trip to Boulder, CO I saw Deer Herds with hair falling off them.  They said it was Mange.  In Boulder it was said that without hunting allowed, the herds were full of disease.

• Like 1

First of all, those are some beautiful pictures.
But, I hate seeing deer jumping fences. I've had to put down several deer over the years that tried to jump too high of a fence. The results were not pretty. [emoji29]

One near me almost jumped a fence and broke its neck landing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1