Guns in Movies - Nearly the One Universal Error

JJHNSN

• Administrators

Another thing that bugged me was some of the ridiculous noises they began dubbing in for small arms fire, starting in the sixties. Even when I was very young, I knew that guns didn’t sound like that and it irritated me. 

On 9/24/2017 at 8:40 PM, JJHNSN said:

Now, ironically, the main character, Bosch, carries a SA/DA handgun and always carries it cocked and locked in his holster, go figure.

Bosch carries a 1911, which is SAO, not SA/DA 

7 hours ago, Glockman97420 said:

How about multiple clicks trying to fire the empty semi-auto. The slide didn't lock back when empty? Is it one of those "second chance" models like (can't remember who) makes that lets you pull the trigger again if a round didn't go off? 

Well to be fare, when I shoot a Sig P226, 229, etc, the slide never locks back, since I ride the manual safety. Wait, what? That’s not a safety?

i spoke with a firearms guy who consulted on a few movies. His biggest frustration is, once the filming is done, they’re usually no longer involved. You could get everything right during filming, then they screw it up in the sound editing. 

15 hours ago, Maxmanta said:

Sounds and superfluous slide racks are  added for emphasis.  That's all. 

Ever see The Fast and the Furious?  Cars do not have THAT many gears.  Sounds add to the overall impact of the scene. 

Yes, I suppose I know why they do it.

The problem is, when you know better, it detracts rather than adds to the scene.

If they want to use sound to bring intensity to the scene, maybe they should do it with well written music.

(I haven't bothered with any Fast & Furious movies. Can you compare it to something in Smokey and the Bandit or Cannonball Run? ?)

On 10/3/2017 at 4:27 AM, Spats McGee said:

I actually think H-wood has gotten a little better about guns the past few years, but I've been bothered for years by many of the mistakes already mentioned (cocking a hammer on a Glock, nobody carrying with a round chambered, etc.).  I watched one of the Hellraiser movies a few nights ago and someone prowled through a house looking for boogeymen using a 1911 with the hammer down..........

I just rewatched the first Ant-Man movie.

There is one scene where the bad guy is obviously holding a glock (how many guns are THAT square looking?) and there are a bunch of ants blocking the hammer from dropping...

Antman hammer glock 1

Antman hammer glock 2 circle

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/31/movie-magic-glock/

Edited by Cougar_ml
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

There is one scene where the bad guy is obviously holding a glock (how many guns are THAT square looking?) and there are a bunch of ants blocking the hammer from dropping...

Antman hammer glock 1

That’s retarded. Wouldn’t it have been easier to use an existing hammer fired gun. 

Edited by Bucky
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Antman hammer glock 1

Yes, that was completely ridiculous.  I remember watching and thoroughly enjoying that movie in the theater until that scene happened and all my suspension of disbelief came crashing down in complete disappointment at such a bone-headed gimmick.  

Sorry, but I'm fine pretending someone can shrink the space between their molecules and become so small that they are able to ride on a mind-controlled ant; but, please don't ask me to believe that a Glock is a hammer fired pistol.  That's just crazy!!!  :crazy:

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

That’s retarded. Wouldn’t it have been easier to use an existing hammer fired gun. 

And then there's that.  How much extra time did the digital artist have to spend designing a non-existent hammer, when another pistol would only need the ants CGIed into the shot?

:dunno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Watching the original Hawaii 5-0 and man what those dudes could do with a snubbie fired from the hip, kill a bad guy in a boat moving full speed.

The never empty gun is bad but false perceptions about handgun accuracy is worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current peeve is on some of the current and recent TV shoot 'em ups where when a bad guy is shot, he drops like a marionette with its strings cut.  Totally out of the fight and no longer a threat.

Being a big fan of Westerns-especially those made in the 50's, along with TV series, it drives me nuts when six shooters are capable of firing at least 12 rounds without reloading.  Even in one of my favorite  modern movies-Open Range with Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner-they fire +6 shots all the time, and of course the shotgun fired into the bad guys at close range flings the bad guys back at least 10 feet.  Otherwise, its a great Western. 

And of course those ridiculous movies where our hero dives sideways in slo mo firing his automatic weapon, while managing to never get hit by the hundreds of bullets fired at him.

14 minutes ago, G19 DB said:

It's hollywood. 

OTOH: They hate guns so much, ya gotta wonder why guns are in so many movies...  :dunno:

That's easy.

Most of them are just prostitutes who will do just about anything for a buck and some fame.  Guns sell movie tickets, so it doesn't matter how they feel about them, as they all live in their own little make believe world and not reality anyway.

• Like 2

My favorites are when the actors point a Beretta 92 or one of the S&W models with the ambidextrous decockers at someone and it’s clearly in the non-firing position. Sometimes they shift the camera view to the person on the receiving end for a few seconds for their lines and when they come back it’s in the firing position. 

I got hooked on Longmire put out by NETFLIX. Guy that plays Sheriff Longmire carries a 1911. Problem is, he sometimes carries it in Condition 2 so he can draw the gun and  cock the hammer, but other times carries in Condition 1 which makes more sense to me. Bugs the heck out of me. Use one or the other but not both.

The other thing that drives me crazy is people not trained to hold a weapon properly. The Walking Dead is one of the worst offenders.

I got hooked on Longmire put out by NETFLIX. Guy that plays Sheriff Longmire carries a 1911. Problem is, he sometimes carries it in Condition 2 so he can draw the gun and  cock the hammer, but other times carries in Condition 1 which makes more sense to me. Bugs the heck out of me. Use one or the other but not both.

The other thing that drives me crazy is people not trained to hold a weapon properly. The Walking Dead is one of the worst offenders.

On 7/24/2018 at 6:39 PM, norton said:

Being a big fan of Westerns-especially those made in the 50's, along with TV series, it drives me nuts when six shooters are capable of firing at least 12 rounds without reloading.  Even in one of my favorite  modern movies-Open Range with Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner-they fire +6 shots all the time, and of course the shotgun fired into the bad guys at close range flings the bad guys back at least 10 feet.  Otherwise, its a great Western. 

And of course those ridiculous movies where our hero dives sideways in slo mo firing his automatic weapon, while managing to never get hit by the hundreds of bullets fired at him.

I think Hollywood has always been ridiculously inept in it's depiction of firearms and reality.  But in the past, Hollywood generally reflected the values and attitudes of America so it's imperfections were largely ignored and accepted.

Now that Hollywood has evolved into a propaganda tool for the leftists to undermine America and our values, I cut them much less slack in regards to their ignorance and falsehoods.