Guns in Movies - Nearly the One Universal Error

JJHNSN

I was watching the Amazon series Bosh (which is awesome!) and without giving anything away, there was a key moment where a bad guy pulled his Glock and I thought, "He's going to chamber a round, here it comes" and ... yup, he did. I rarely see any Glock pulled in any movie or TV series where it is not racked or worse yet, the sound effect made for a hammer being cocked. Seems to be nearly the one universal truth in all of Hollywood: NOBODY EVERY CARRIES A GUN THAT HAS A ROUND CHAMBERED. Now, ironically, the main character, Bosch, carries a SA/DA handgun and always carries it cocked and locked in his holster, go figure. But not Glock..nope, almost always it has to be chambered. However, ironically, in the same series, in the previous episode or so a supporting character had to pull his Glock and fire it instantaneously at a bad guy, no cocking/chambering required. I won't get into how a short to his right shoulder dropped him instantly and killed. Obviously the guy had a very oddly positioned heart. :)

• Like 2

They have gotten better about not showing 40 trigger pulls on a standard clip glock but I am still amazed how many times I see a "silent" shot or the bad guy doing a back flip after being shot. The silent shot always pisses me off as morons believe a silencer really makes it silent and so so scary!! 

• Like 1

I always get a kick out of where somebody is pointing a gun with an external hammer at somebody like they are going to end them and then they start monologuing.  As there little speech proceeds, they suddenly look very angry and cock their gun.

The ridiculousness of this act is generally accentuated by whether the gun is single action or double action.

If double action, is the gun suddenly more dangerous?

If single action, could the person being held at gunpoint simply have hit the gunman over the head because the gun was not properly ready to fire.

Whenever some nonsensical sequence occurs on t.v. and my wife questions me, I always imitate the Japanese submarine sailors in the movie 1941: "Hollywood."

NSFW: Mild Nudity

Spoiler

• Like 1

If you think Hollywood and US television is firearm stupid, you oughta try some Japanese TV (I watch an hour or two of Japanese TV every night with my wife). Click-clack-racka-chaka. You can't so much as touch a gun on Japanese TV without a sound effect to go with it. And either one bullet kills the guy, or a hundred won't. I learned about 15 years ago to stop pointing out this idiocy to my wife while we're watching ... she doesn't want to hear it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aloha8 said:

Being also a lover of the Bosch novels and now the Bosch series (come on, give us a new season!), I'm impressed that the series gets his carry weapon right: 1911 in condition 0 or 1 (can't tell) and yes, a round in the chamber.

I binged watched three seasons this last weekend. Did nothing else. I thought Season 3 was weaker in some ways than the first two, and I had a hard time following it at first, then then it really all came crashing together in the last four episodes of four.

And yes...I'm impressed that's how he carries his Kimber Custom TLE II.

I wonder if in real life LA detectives are permitted to carry a 1911? Also, you may have noticed Bosch carries an AR in the trunk of his car with a shotgun, his partner, just a shotgun. Interesting.

And if you look closely the characters who never shown drawing their handguns are carrying rubber mock-up Glocks. The LT is carrying a Glock Gen 2 or 1!

Edited by JJHNSN

• Administrators

I don't know how many times I've watched someone hold someone at gunpoint for a good bit of time, ready to shoot them at any moment, and then rack the weapon to load a round, or pull back a hammer. Or, they will be pointing a SA pistol, like a 1911 or Colt Single-Action revolver at someone with the hammer down and never cock it. If you need to shoot, the damned weapon should be ready. That bugs the hell out of me.

• Like 4

I am sure many of these movies and television shows have access to military and weapons experts.  I know someone who was used as a consultant on a movie, and when he instructed the actors to behave in a certain way when conducting an operation, the director overruled him and told the actors to do something else that looked better on camera.  It wasn't realistic.  It just looked better to the director.  Hollywood is make believe.  The sound guy who makes the "cocking weapon" sound effect needs work since there are only so many "heavy footsteps" and "creaking door" sound effects he can do these days.

I actually think H-wood has gotten a little better about guns the past few years, but I've been bothered for years by many of the mistakes already mentioned (cocking a hammer on a Glock, nobody carrying with a round chambered, etc.).  I watched one of the Hellraiser movies a few nights ago and someone prowled through a house looking for boogeymen using a 1911 with the hammer down..........

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:40 PM, JJHNSN said:

... Seems to be nearly the one universal truth in all of Hollywood: NOBODY EVERY CARRIES A GUN THAT HAS A ROUND CHAMBERED...

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:34 AM, Eric said:

I don't know how many times I've watched someone hold someone at gunpoint for a good bit of time, ready to shoot them at any moment, and then rack the weapon to load a round, ...

I've almost (...almost...) learned how to ignore that ridiculous behavior on screen.

Occasionally, a show will double down on that ignorance.

I've seen shows where the character will do the whole draw and rack and then 1 minute later in the same scene rack the pistol again!  Are they supposed to be ejecting live rounds onto the ground?  Is the character stripping the mag, ejecting the round, and topping off the mag  when we aren't looking before he walks down the hall to the next room?

And worse yet, are the guns that make slide racking sounds (not just hammer cocking) every time they are raised and pointed.  Pistols are holstered or low ready when someone makes an unwanted move. The guns come out, or even just up, and as they are pointed they all make a sound as if they have been racked despite no one touching the slides.  

Hollywood is about as good at guns and wound ballistics as Fox news...... dismal.

Go hunting.   I've disintegrated the bottom half of a deers heart with a 30.06 at 50 yards, and watched it run for 60 yards.   The thing that always grates me is seeing some super-ninja throw a knife that hits a guy in the belly, and he dies instantly.

• 9 months later...
On 10/3/2017 at 7:58 AM, Maccabeus said:

I've almost (...almost...) learned how to ignore that ridiculous behavior on screen.

Occasionally, a show will double down on that ignorance.

I've seen shows where the character will do the whole draw and rack and then 1 minute later in the same scene rack the pistol again!  Are they supposed to be ejecting live rounds onto the ground?  Is the character stripping the mag, ejecting the round, and topping off the mag  when we aren't looking before he walks down the hall to the next room?

And worse yet, are the guns that make slide racking sounds (not just hammer cocking) every time they are raised and pointed.  Pistols are holstered or low ready when someone makes an unwanted move. The guns come out, or even just up, and as they are pointed they all make a sound as if they have been racked despite no one touching the slides.  

Sounds and superfluous slide racks are  added for emphasis.  That's all. 

Ever see The Fast and the Furious?  Cars do not have THAT many gears.  Sounds add to the overall impact of the scene. 

Edited by Maxmanta