New Ways Your Boss Is Spying on You

pipedreams

Nothing new, but there are more and more ways so one should be aware.

Using company provided computers & phones is not smart.

It’s not just email. Employers are mining the data their workers generate to figure out what they’re up to, and with whom. There’s almost nothing you can do about it.

"Diana Hubbard, a 41-year-old user-experience designer and researcher in Fort Worth, Tex., does not communicate about her private life on work devices at all—not even to make a dinner reservation online. She keeps a personal smartphone and two personal laptops—one dedicated to gaming—in addition to her work-issued phone and computer. When she travels for work, Ms. Hubbard sometimes carries two phones and two laptops and avoids connecting her personal phone to any corporate Wi-Fi unless she sets up a virtual private network connection.  “I’m not all tinfoil hat or anything,” she says, noting that she tries to avoid sharing personal data online altogether. “Data is so valuable that I don’t like to give it away for free, no matter who is trying to take it or access it. That’s really what it comes down to. This is mine. I own it.”"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-ways-your-boss-is-spying-on-you-11563528604?mod=DJCP_pkt_ff

“Data is so valuable that I don’t like to give it away for free, no matter who is trying to take it or access it. That’s really what it comes down to. This is mine. I own it.”"

Yet she puts her full name in a nationwide newspaper.  I would not do that.  I agree with the rest of her points though.  I don't do anything on a work computer.  If I am on a work trip I will watch youtube on it in the evening but that is it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rinspeed said:

Seeing I have to babysit most of the company I don't give a **** if they spy on every move I make, **** them.  It would take three people to replace me, or so I say.  ?

not really from the videos of you  at owrk i say it would take 1 or 2 people  or one really good one . 

• Like 1

In the 1920's, Ford Motor Company would send investigators to the homes of workers to peer into their windows, explore the possibility of marital infidelity, delve into bank accounts, dig through the trash of employees, etc. 

In the 1950's and 1960's, Disney Corporation bugged their offices to determine who might be a malcontent or disloyal.

My employer's phone is owned by my employer and paid for by my employer. I use it only to conduct business on it and nothing else. My employer's intranet is the same and the only thing I look at out side of work is Accuweather.com to see how hot it is - never anything else. 

I've seen plenty of former co-workers get fired for doing stupid things on computers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All employees that traveled for the company were told that they should use their personal credit card for expenses and upon proof of expenditures the company would reimburse them.

I told them I refused to travel since I hate CC's and would not have one of my own.    I insisted that they provide travel cash which would be accounted for, and they did it. 

I told my bosses that it's not my responsibility to loan their massive corporation my money.  I didn't hire in with that understanding.  They gave me a company card and told me I could also use it for personal expenses but the personal expenses would not be reimbursed. 

Everything associated with travel was under the FAR (Fair and Reasonable) government rate standards.  Some of my compatriots would fudge and play with their expenses, I could not do that.

I'm sure they were interested in things other than company business, since we were a Military Contractor, and people in my department were required to maintain a high security clearance.

I find paranoia is a good thing when dealing with companies.  If they really are keeping tabs on you, then you won't be surprised.  If they aren't keeping tabs on you then you have nothing to worry about.  Don't trust them.

Large company's are like modern schools.  The truly believe that they have some control over you even in your private lives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember when I first started doing company travel we would go to the cashier and draw cash for misc. expenses.  The travel department usually took care of hotels and air and that sort of thing giving us a choice of approved hotels & airlines.  Later they issued us credit cards and did away with cash withdrawals.

• Like 1