2020 corvette was shown tonight

ASH

and it might be a track beast ,  have to wait and see  . i had thought about them for awhile now , but im sorry  that is FUGLY RIDE ,  and only 495  hp?   camaro zl1 would eat it ,

all the people waiting over a year to see it ,  and what a let down  .  ahhhhhhhhhhhh

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g28410220/2020-chevy-corvette-c8-photos-info-gallery/?slide=35

• Like 1

• Administrators

I kind of like it.  The hood lines are not doing it for me though.  The interor is pretty bold.  I want to like it but I am not there yet.   Being able to get a car with a 6.2 V8 is still awesome. 

It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket does with the car.  It could be turned into a world beating track weapon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presguy said:

I think it looks great, but it doesn't look like a Corvette, if that makes sense?

That is because it looks like a Ferrari.

Interior sucks.  I do not see the logic to a non-round steering wheel on a production car and they made the drivers position too much of a cockpit.

• Like 2

Nope.

Too any straight lines, big carved out spaces and creases for me.

Hate the Seventies fake hood details and the back end came off of a Camaro.

The interior is just -- too hip and cool for me.  Does the bit between driver and passenger have a partition that rolls up between them?

It seems that the design goal was to make two people seem like they aren't in the same car when they're in the same car.

Other than that -- nope.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Presguy said:

Yeah.. my brain isn't good at describing aesthetic/design things, but the switch to mid engine seems to have changed the proportions and made the hood too short. Almost like an 12/10ths scale Lotus, if that makes sense.

But, as Rabbi says, I bet it'll be a performance tour de force.

I tend to think it should have been a new line of sports car, it does not really look like a Corvette as you said and the switch to mid-engine is a dramatic change.

3,600 lbs. is a pig, where is all that weight coming from?  My 4 door Sonata made of steel is only 3,400 pounds.  Also, needs more power.

• Administrators

Interesting.   This thing really does seem to be a mid engine.  That motor seems to be rather forward.  

....and all that truck space in the rear is going to be a dream for the aftermarket.  Plenty of room for turbo set ups.   They will have these things putting well over 1000hp to the wheels in no time with the AC still blowing ice cold. 

1059501006_corvettetrunkc8.jpg.4c22e19fd6da4d1ba1efa37e6e06ef97.jpg

• Like 1

The legacy generations of Corvette were known for overheating and having cooling issues. The new generation models will be much worse based on mid-engine placement and GM's usual compromises when it comes to styling over engineering.  

The styling is rather Asian, evoking the recent Acura NSX. Not a fan of the Acura or this C-8 design. 

Push button transmission controls? The Packard Caribbean had them... in 1955. There was valid reason that such controls were subsequently rarely used for decades in passenger cars. 

• Like 1

Been keeping an eye on this.

Here's Chevrolet's site where you can learn more, and spec out a C8 to your liking. The servers are extremely busy right now though;
https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/next-generation-corvette

Despite it being DCT only, I like everything about the car except for the square steering wheel. And that is very odd, as I usually don't like the latest revisions of cars, it usually takes a year or so to grow on me.

0-60 is rumored to be sub-3 seconds. If true, and it handles well, and is reliable, for around $60K Chevy might have a massive hit on their hands. One major factor, is that interior space is up. The C7s were tiny inside, so it's good to see that (supposed) change.

The LT2 engine is great to see, I was worried they'd not stick with the small-block V8. No manual trans is a bit of a hit, but getting an 8spd DCT softens it. The interior looks pretty great (except for the steering wheel), and the exterior styling is (thankfully) relatively subdued when you leave the rear wing off.

Here's my fantasy; Elkhart Lake Blue, bronze wheels, no spoiler. Unfortunately red is the only color interior the site has working right now, but I'd want either black or black & tan.

image.thumb.png.31954a61aa0e04b9776aeab2d40ac651.png

Color me impressed.

Edited by M&P15T

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

No manual transmission, a long ugly row of buttons, weighs about 70 lbs less than my Camaro with a similar 6.2 liter engine putting out 40 more HP for twice the price. No thanks.

If you want to use the gas peddle, you have a point. If you want to use the steering wheel, the vette is far more than a little better. 

• Like 1

Are you referring to handling? You may want to rethink that.

We don’t know yet what this Vette will do. However we do know that the SS 1LE Camaro has beat the Stingray on the Motor Trend figure 8, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, and Virginia International Raceway.

The 6th gen Camaro with the 1LE package is the best handling Camaro ever. It’s beat Porsches, Lamborghinis, Vettes, the list is long. It has essentially the same suspension, brakes, electronic differential, and engine as the Stingray, with better cooling and bigger and stickier tires.

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/upszzo4f17hm

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Are you referring to handling? You may want to rethink that.

We don’t know yet what this Vette will do. However we do know that the SS 1LE Camaro has beat the Stingray on the Motor Trend figure 8, Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, and Virginia International Raceway.

The 6th gen Camaro with the 1LE package is the best handling Camaro ever. It’s beat Porsches, Lamborghinis, Vettes, the list is long. It has essentially the same suspension, brakes, electronic differential, and engine as the Stingray, with better cooling and bigger and stickier tires.

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/upszzo4f17hm

You are comparing a track prep package to the base corvette. 

Apples to apples would be the z06. 

Unless GM royally fucks something up....and the often do...a rear engine vette should be a potent track weapon.  At the very least, a good starting point for one 

I predict that special edition and tuner versions of this car will start raping track records everywhere.   Not because it is the best but because it is good, cheap and an amazing place to start.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tous said:

Nope.

Too any straight lines, big carved out spaces and creases for me.

Hate the Seventies fake hood details and the back end came off of a Camaro.

The interior is just -- too hip and cool for me.  Does the bit between driver and passenger have a partition that rolls up between them?

It seems that the design goal was to make two people seem like they aren't in the same car when they're in the same car.

Other than that -- nope.

I agree that it is too angular looking and the interior is too gimmicky. I like the more rounded looks of C7 better.  But what's worse, is that it doesn't look like a Corvette anymore and it doesn't look distinctly American. it looks European.

I realize that the DCT transmission has certain advantages But I'd prefer a manual transmission, particularly with overdrive, just because it's traditional with a true sports car.

I've been a Corvette fan since I was 12 years old and have always liked the looks of the Corvette. I liked the first generation cars especially before they went to dual headlights and I really liked the looks of the stingrays. I didn't like the looks of the next generation (C3) as much especially not the mid to late 70 models with the neutered smog motors. The C4's were much improved as far as both looks and performance and the modern C5 through C7's were more modern but still had the looks unique to the Corvette that retained the lineage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

But what's worse, is that it doesn't look like a Corvette anymore and it doesn't look distinctly American. it looks European.

That was my first impression as well.

Nothing about that automobile says Corvette.

Like you, I was a huge C1 and C2 fan as a lad.

It took me sometime to get used to the Mako Shark series, but they grew on me.

The 1966 Sting Ray will always be my definition of a Corvette.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

You are comparing a track prep package to the base corvette. 

Apples to apples would be the z06. 

Unless GM royally ****s something up....and the often do...a rear engine vette should be a potent track weapon.  At the very least, a good starting point for one 

I predict that special edition and tuner versions of this car will start raping track records everywhere.   Not because it is the best but because it is good, cheap and an amazing place to start.

So you’re saying the base Vette doesn’t handle well (since you’re implying the Camaro doesn’t and it handles better than the Vette).

I’m sure this will be a great track weapon, in top trim. But no stick! That absurd line of buttons! Nope. I was considering a Vette when I’m not driving the kids to school anymore, but no stick is a deal breaker for me.

I do like the looks though and I anticipate it will handle very well, though not significantly better than my Camaro.  The difference will be more power and the ability to lay it down better due to the mid-engine layout.

I bet it will actually do worse through the curves, less weight over the front tires means more braking to shift balance and prevent under steer.

• Like 1