Work Goofiness

tadbart

I have six shifts before I can sit for the nurse practitioner boards. So, I'm kinda on my victory lap at work, being relatively unproductive and generally in a better mood.

Last night, the local Deputies shot this dude who met them at the door with a shotgun. He arrived in cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead promptly. A while later, he was draped and awaiting the Medical Examiner and detectives. The nursing supervisor and another nurse wanted to go in and see him, and I hadn't been in the room yet, either.  We walked in, and I went right to the head of the bed, looked down, and exclaimed "UNCLE TERRY!!!"

These poor girls about died.

One of the best pranks I've played in quite a while. I'll probably go to hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

8 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

Just out of curiosity, is it "normal" to check out the recently checked-out, or did they just want to see how well the local PD did in their shot placement?

You've got to put pennies on their eyes to be sure they make it across the river.

Or they'll come back.

And a lot of them you don't want coming back.

Define "normal."

We get the opportunity to see a lot of stuff that most people never see. Most of us take advantage of that. For the record, a through and through to each the right forearm and left thigh (that hit his Skoal can), one to the left thigh that hit the femur, and one to the solar plexus. Assuming he drained out from his aorta or IVC before EMS even got on scene, but his healthy heart kept trying to pump for a while. He was in a cardiac rhythm called PEA, Pulseless Electrical Activity. No blood, no pulse.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

You've got to put pennies on their eyes to be sure they make it across the river.

Or they'll come back.

this *******'s facebook cover pic had the NWA "F the Police" album cover.

No loss to society. Typically, there's slightly more respect for the dead, but this situation didn't warrant that.

A while back, I worked a code on a little old black lady. Ended up with 30+ family members in the ER. There was ONE pudgy Irish redneck invited to the BBQ after the funeral. Guess who?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tadbart said:

I have six shifts before I can sit for the nurse practitioner boards. So, I'm kinda on my victory lap at work, being relatively unproductive and generally in a better mood.

Last night, the local Deputies shot this dude who met them at the door with a shotgun. He arrived in cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead promptly. A while later, he was draped and awaiting the Medical Examiner and detectives. The nursing supervisor and another nurse wanted to go in and see him, and I hadn't been in the room yet, either.  We walked in, and I went right to the head of the bed, looked down, and exclaimed "UNCLE TERRY!!!"

These poor girls about died.

Good for you.  Misplaced humor is the best kind.

Years ago I had to go in for an emergency Blood "infusion" (I don't know what it's called when you are bleeding internally and almost "out".  I got a few "packages".

Anyway, while I was watching TV and in the chair getting my blood replaced.  I saw the alert come on the TV for a severe weather test.

When the alert sounded a steady tone, I want limp in the chair.  The nurse almost had a hemorrhage of her own.  Just as she started to run I told her it was just a joke.

Some years later I was talking with a Ham Radio friend of mine and I told him the story.  He exclaimed, "That was you!!".  It turned out that the nurse at that time was his wife.  And she still curses me for that "joke".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Or they'll come back.

Just don't go looking for penes. :)

6 hours ago, janice6 said:

Good for you.  Misplaced humor is the best kind.

Years ago I had to go in for an emergency Blood "infusion" (I don't know what it's called when you are bleeding internally and almost "out".  I got a few "packages".

Anyway, while I was watching TV and in the chair getting my blood replaced.  I saw the alert come on the TV for a severe weather test.

When the alert sounded a steady tone, I want limp in the chair.  The nurse almost had a hemorrhage of her own.  Just as she started to run I told her it was just a joke.

Some years later I was talking with a Ham Radio friend of mine and I told him the story.  He exclaimed, "That was you!!".  It turned out that the nurse at that time was his wife.  And she still curses me for that "joke".

Janice, you are one sick SOB.  I'll bet you laughed your ass off, great way to make lemonade out of lemons!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tadbart said:

When I was a freshman in high school, a couple of senior jocks played a prank on me.  One of them told me to kid the other one about his mom's terrible piano playing by saying "I heard she plays a mean piano," so I did.  Then the guy screamed at me, "Why do people always do this to me when they find out my mom has no hands."  He was a terrible actor, but still, maybe you can picture two of the biggest guys in the school leering down at one of the smallest kids in the school.  I just said, "nice try guys."  Then, when it got real quiet, I asked, "So, how did you guys find out?"  They seemed surprised, so I faced them and gave them a stern look.  They said "Find out what?"  I said, "My mom had crippling injuries to her hands and a lot of the kids tease me about it."  They both apologized to me.  I told them they needed to get a clue.  Then some new kid walked in and I gave them a nod to try it on him, so they did.  I thought the kid was going to crap in his pants after the one guy started screaming about his mom having no hands.  I had my gym clothes in hand as I walked by the kid and said something like, "How could you be so callous?"

Oh, and congratulations on completing your nurse practitioner work.

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was working in customer support in the 80's.  Somebody put in the number for the Whitehouse and requested a call back.  They logged it as White Brother's Auto so the caller wouldn't be tipped off by the White house answering service.  The call was regarding accounting and the CSR asked for Ronnie.  Everyone was in on the joke except one lady.  When the call got to the top of the queue, you could have heard a pin drop as that poor woman asked for Ronnie.  Then, laughter.  Lots and lots of laughter.  She caught on remarkably quickly, considering. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Presguy said:

You know good and well that dark humor is a requirement for emergency medicine, and for law enforcement. I think it's half the reason so many cops marry nurses.

I mildly surprised by the rest of what you said - it goes against the street rule: That good people die young and bad ones are like cockroaches.

Absolutely!  If you don't laugh in private at the most horrific things that happen to human beings, all too soon you are the repository of memories that haunt you until you also become a statistic.  If you couldn't do this there would be no one left to perform the first responder type problems.  You have to laugh it off for your own sanity!

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:15 AM, tadbart said:

Define "normal."

We get the opportunity to see a lot of stuff that most people never see. Most of us take advantage of that. For the record, a through and through to each the right forearm and left thigh (that hit his Skoal can), one to the left thigh that hit the femur, and one to the solar plexus. Assuming he drained out from his aorta or IVC before EMS even got on scene, but his healthy heart kept trying to pump for a while. He was in a cardiac rhythm called PEA, Pulseless Electrical Activity. No blood, no pulse.

So a double/double tap. Wonder how many misses there were considering that they usually do a mag dump in these situations.

• Like 1

Even cockroaches can't survive the overwhelming firepower. He got his. I'm guessing it was suicide by cop. I think he beat up some family member or something, and that's why the cops were there to begin with? No sane person brandishes a shotgun at the Law. Let's say there were 2 cops on scene, both carrying G21s. What's that, 28 bullets in 2 full mags? 4 hits equals 24 holes in the far wall of the trailer!