It's Caturday!!!

Cubdriver

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

82ba502ab07e6c38a332ff1a31ed8de6.jpg

Phoenix has something under the skin where that swirl of hair is. Feels like a pea sliding around. Does not seem to bother him when I touch and move it. My daughter the vet examined it to see if it was an abscess from a wound and concluded it is a cyst. She plans to take it out the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddda87cb6369682121cf1438be9da241.jpg

Durango becomes annoyed - and therefore annoying - when his front claws get longer than he likes them. He sticks a solo claw into my lip, puts a paw over my mouth, and generally pesters me.

So I eventually realize his problem. Takes a bit of struggle to position him where I can clip those claws. When I do get him positioned and clip the claws he lays down on my legs or lap and naps.

This picture is the post-clip nap.

I use small “dykes” - pliers sold for electronic wire clipping - for feline claw clipping and have for many years. This pair came from Harbor Freight under $5. Made in the USA and certainly looks like a famous brand product.

f814e3ef934f8aa8caefd00c848d5c18.jpg

The healthy well attached return spring is important. And the jaws are ground to cut flush which helps avoid cutting into the nail quick and causing bleeding.

18 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

82ba502ab07e6c38a332ff1a31ed8de6.jpg

Phoenix has something under the skin where that swirl of hair is. Feels like a pea sliding around. Does not seem to bother him when I touch and move it. My daughter the vet examined it to see if it was an abscess from a wound and concluded it is a cyst. She plans to take it out the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Yeah, I get 'em too sometimes. They come out easily but have a tendency to recur.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

ddda87cb6369682121cf1438be9da241.jpg

Durango becomes annoyed - and therefore annoying - when his front claws get longer than he likes them. He sticks a solo claw into my lip, puts a paw over my mouth, and generally pesters me.

So I eventually realize his problem. Takes a bit of struggle to position him where I can clip those claws. When I do get him positioned and clip the claws he lays down on my legs or lap and naps.

This picture is the post-clip nap.

I use small “dykes” - pliers sold for electronic wire clipping - for feline claw clipping and have for many years. This pair came from Harbor Freight under $5. Made in the USA and certainly looks like a famous brand product.

f814e3ef934f8aa8caefd00c848d5c18.jpg

The healthy well attached return spring is important. And the jaws are ground to cut flush which helps avoid cutting into the nail quick and causing bleeding.

Over the years using a multitude of diagonal wire cutters I learned that if the cutters have a bevel on one face and a flat surface on the other face, when you cut the cutting actions will produce a sharp snap in the direction away from the bevel edges.

My point is that, depending on how your nail/claw cutters are sharpened, it may be far more comfortable to the animal to cut with a flat surface towards the paw, then the mechanical shock of the cutting action is directed away from the animal, and not directly into their remaining nail and paw.

• Like 1

I've been using these for many years - more of a shearing action than a pinch off, so (I think anyway) less of a shock.  Thought I'd lost them a while back and ordered another one from Amazon, then found the original again so kept the new one in reserve for the future.

image.thumb.jpeg.718e232ed460471e7e8f98184d88ce05.jpeg

-Pat

• Thanks 1

It does seem simple and quick procedure.  I hope so.  

He spent the night after surgery in the laundry room with food, water, and litter box - and no other cats. I let him out the next morning but he went back in. So I shut the door again. That night he was yelling to be let out and has behaved normally since then. Suspect that morning he was still woozy from the anesthetic.

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

He spent the night after surgery in the laundry room with food, water, and litter box - and no other cats. I let him out the next morning but he went back in. So I shut the door again. That night he was yelling to be let out and has behaved normally since then. Suspect that morning he was still woozy from the anesthetic.

Last week my wife had a Cyst removed from her back.  I should have thought of shutting her in the laundry room overnight too.  I'm guessing it would be distressing for her since she is only vaguely familiar with that facility.

(Just kidding...…… Maybe)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

Last week my wife had a Cyst removed from her back.  I should have thought of shutting her in the laundry room overnight too.  I'm guessing it would be distressing for her since she is only vaguely familiar with that facility.

(Just kidding...…… Maybe)

Doing that might have made that surgery life threatening - to you!  Glad to hear you didn't think of it - it's nice to have you around.

-Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cubdriver said:

Doing that might have made that surgery life threatening - to you!  Glad to hear you didn't think of it - it's nice to have you around.

-Pat

The Doctor said to come back in a couple of days and he would change the dressing and take out the packing.  I asked what was so special about taking out the packing that I couldn't do it.  He said I could if I wanted to.  The nurse loaded me up with the necessary stuff.  I told her I had better supplies in my garage!  I was a woodworker and blood was an essential element to any piece of furniture.

So I did.  Some things are more common sense than intricate.  Fortunately, my wife believes in me implicitly.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1