Uniquities

Eric

I got a police chief fired because he lied to his city commission...and when asked questions by the commission...i told the truth.

Cost me my job in about a year.  I was marked.  But the truth is the truth. And if you lie when you wear a uniform.  Your name is shite and the flies upon it.

But i went on to other bigger places and did more.  Leaving was not an issue.  And in those interviews i put it the same way...i just did. 

I can be wrong.  I will never lie to you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Historian said:

I got a police chief fired because he lied to his city commission...and when asked questions by the commission...i told the truth.

Cost me my job in about a year.  I was marked.  But the truth is the truth. And if you lie when you wear a uniform.  Your name is ****e and the flies upon it.

But i went on to other bigger places and did more.  Leaving was not an issue.  And in those interviews i put it the same way...i just did. 

I can be wrong.  I will never lie to you.

When almost all deaths in 2020 were attributed to COVID and almost none to flu or other more traditional causes, have CDC and other statistic tracking entities sold out for a mess of portage?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Is the novel series all through and all done?

No.  I'm writing another novel and it's almost done.  I pretty much shelved it in 2015 when my mom died, but I started enjoying writing again recently.  I'm taking my time and at some point, I'll roll all the current novels into an anthology and market the new one.  Taking my time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Total nerd moment.

I am an award winning ham radio operator.

I'm picturing a large ham can with wires coming out of it.

Growing up, I had two neighbors with radio setups that used to bleed over into our tv.  It both got me interested and scared me off.  Don't want to be on t.v.

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Total nerd moment.

I am an award winning ham radio operator.

I’ve known some people who passed the Technician Class test so they could go two meter voice. This was in the pre-cell phone era, when their clubs had telephone relay setups. Years ago, and I don’t know whether they stayed, upgraded to General Class, or left the hobby in favor of cell phones.  

Here is another one, that fits the topic better...

I started riding on a 1198cc SuperBike while everybody and his grandma declared me dead within the first couple weeks. They all tried to talk me into a 250cc beginner bike, but that was no challenge in my eyes, let alone attractive. To be honest, I hate those small twin engine shits to this day.

Bought her the day after passing the motorcycle endorsement test, new right off the showroom floor. Only bike I ever sat on was that shitty driving school cruiser with a lawn mower engine in it, we never left the parking lot.

Rode her only late at night on empty streets for the first 2 month, just to get accustomed to the endless torque. I accidently wheeled it a few times and was lucky that I didn't wear it as a hat.

3 month in and I did my first track day in the novice group.

6 months in and I was pissing off club racers from the SuperBike class in advanced class with a stock GSXR 1000.

1 year in I was doing AMA race school and got my club license on a fully modded 200 RWHP race bike.

There was (or still is) a 350 page thread on one of the Ducati forums that declared me dead from the get-go, and followed my journey.

Reality is, with a juvenile or uncontrolled mindset you may very well kill yourself on any bike. Being able to control yourself at all times is what keeps you safe, even on a fast liter race bike.

Telling new riders that they will be safe on a small bike is misleading in my book.

Edited by crockett

Never did any racin like that.  Did some Dirt bike stuff, but...that **** hurt.  I was a Lineman.  I didn't need anything screwin up my body to where I couldn't work.  I was a "Cruiser"  bike dude.  Takin Long, cross country Bike trips...Me and my Lady.  2 weeks...Me and my Lady rode from Ft. Pierce florida...Via Atlanta, Omaha, Vail, Vegas, The Grand Canon, Juarez Mexico...Across Texas, and back to Florida in 2 weeks...on a 750 Honda, with a Vetter Wind Jammer fairing. 

Craig Vetter, put his first Windjammer fairing on my 750 Honda, back in 71.  I got pictures somewhere.  Yea, I know...Nobody knows who Craig Vetter is.

Got a crazy friggin Brit buddy does stuff like that..."Isle of man" type stuff.  Nope.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dric902 said:

That’s how you became an Art Bell fan

When i was in college i was a content editor for a very early on-line newspaper.  So I would listen to Art while at work and on the cold drives home.   

Later, i would listen to him while on patrol in another county.  We sometimes had long nights.  Art kept us on our toes.  There were times you didn't want to take a leak...one of those grays would paralyze you with there eyes. That's no way to go.

He was a master of radio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

I'm picturing a large ham can with wires coming out of it.

Growing up, I had two neighbors with radio setups that used to bleed over into our tv.  It both got me interested and scared me off.  Don't want to be on t.v.

There was a GM series of trucks that often caused RFI interference that was often blamed on hams.   

However, with proper grounding and baluns this is an easy thing to fix.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Historian said:

There was a GM series of trucks that often caused RFI interference that was often blamed on hams.   

However, with proper grounding and baluns this is an easy thing to fix.  

Spark plugs for Vespa scooters come in several heat ranges with and without internal resistors. Suspect modern electronics are better shielded now. 

2 hours ago, crockett said:

Here is another one, that fits the topic better...

I started riding on a 1198cc SuperBike while everybody and his grandma declared me dead within the first couple weeks. They all tried to talk me into a 250cc beginner bike, but that was no challenge in my eyes, let alone attractive. To be honest, I hate those small twin engine shits to this day.

Bought her the day after passing the motorcycle endorsement test, new right off the showroom floor. Only bike I ever sat on was that shitty driving school cruiser with a lawn mower engine in it, we never left the parking lot.

image.png.be53b1af7aa77305569aebae98240efe.png

Rode her only late at night on empty streets for the first 2 month, just to get accustomed to the endless torque. I accidently wheeled it a few times and was lucky that I didn't wear it as a hat.

3 month in and I did my first track day in the novice group.

6 months in and I was pissing off club racers from the SuperBike class in advanced class with a stock GSXR 1000.

1 year in I was doing AMA race school and got my club license on a fully modded 200 RWHP race bike.

There was (or still is) a 350 page thread on one of the Ducati forums that declared me dead from the get-go, and followed my journey.

Reality is, with a juvenile or uncontrolled mindset you may very well kill yourself on any bike. Being able to control yourself at all times is what keeps you safe, even on a fast liter race bike.

Telling new riders that they will be safe on a small bike is misleading in my book.

You have the gift. A lot of guys think they can do that thing and it ends up bad. Usually, starting on a slow bike and learning is the best way to go. But some guys just have it, and apparently you did. Lotta kids get on a 600 sportbike and don't live to see their first payment. It's all about mind control.

I almost forgot!

I forget which airline club we were in waiting for our flight.

It was packed and people were standing around.  I waited in the liquid refreshments area while scanning for a seat.

I saw a guy get up and walk away so I went and sat down in the seat.

A few people milled around and I ignored them.  Pretty soon the guy came back and I ignored him too.  He finally went away.

The two Program Management people I was with walked over to me and asked if I knew the guy whose seat I had taken?  I said no, but he shouldn't have left it!

They couldn't stop laughing and finally told me I had taken Jimmy Carter's seat as clean as a whistle. 

Apparently the people milling around me were his Secret Service people.  HA!

I told them pee on it.  We're both passengers and I had just as much right to that seat as he had.

I was the talk of our management for a week or so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, janice6 said:

Apparently the people milling around me were his Secret Service people.  HA!

I told them pee on it.  We're both passengers and I had just as much right to that seat as he had.

I was the talk of our management for a week or so.

I get the feeling he would have given you the seat and not said a word.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Never did any racin like that.  Did some Dirt bike stuff, but...that **** hurt.  I was a Lineman.  I didn't need anything screwin up my body to where I couldn't work.  I was a "Cruiser"  bike dude.  Takin Long, cross country Bike trips...Me and my Lady.  2 weeks...Me and my Lady rode from Ft. Pierce florida...Via Atlanta, Omaha, Vail, Vegas, The Grand Canon, Juarez Mexico...Across Texas, and back to Florida in 2 weeks...on a 750 Honda, with a Vetter Wind Jammer fairing. 

Craig Vetter, put his first Windjammer fairing on my 750 Honda, back in 71.  I got pictures somewhere.  Yea, I know...Nobody knows who Craig Vetter is.

Got a crazy friggin Brit buddy does stuff like that..."Isle of man" type stuff.  Nope.

Back in my logging days, I raced dirt bikes on the weekend. After a few friends got laid up and couldn't work for long periods of time, I decided it might be best to move on. I sold my bikes and bought a brand spanking new riding mower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

I knew who Craig Vetter was. I've owned two of his wind jammers. Great fairings. tom. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 2

My uniqueness?

Give me two light steel rods or heavy wire bent to 90 degrees, and I can witch water.

I’m serious.  My Dad can’t do it, but my grandpa could, and he shared with me how it’s done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deputy tom said:

I knew who Craig Vetter was. I've owned two of his wind jammers. Great fairings. tom. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

Ever see his "Wedge" sidecar?  Had an adjustable "trim"  handle for the crown of the road change.  After his ski accident he designed wheel chairs.

Actually it was called the Terraplane.  

image.jpeg.93cd1651fc8858cbd377b1d822b33a30.jpeg

Edited by Swampfox762
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Ever see his "Wedge" sidecar?  Had an adjustable "trim"  handle for the crown of the road change.  After his ski accident he designed wheel chairs.

Actually it was called the Terraplane.  

image.jpeg.93cd1651fc8858cbd377b1d822b33a30.jpeg

I don't remember the sidecar. tom.

• Like 1