Which Type Of Shooter Are You?

Maser

4 minutes ago, Dynactus said:

This thread got me thinking. I usually shoot in my back yard, or pretty close to it. I'm usually by myself. Now when I shoot I'll be wondering what type of shooter I am. Probably the shooter that doesn't shoot often enough. Need to work on that.

You certainly do, if you're lucky enough to be a backyard shooter!!  We all should be so lucky.  Are a 2 eye or a1 eye shooter?  There's seriously a major difference...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I am the guy who sets up to shoot his 1911 and five minutes later a retiree sets up next to him with to test-fire five rifles he just had fitted with muzzle brakes, 4 of which are belted magnums. This is of course is at a range with a corregated tin roof over the firing line. I pack up and GTFO after ten rounds from the first muzzlebraked  rifle, a .300 H&H Magnum.

That happened to me once in PHX, at Ben Avery. The concussion from that freaking rifle was like getting hit with a padded baseball bat.

Anyway, I am the kind of shooter who prefers few or no other shooters in the immediate area when he shoots.

Try a .30-378 with a brake on it. Instant tinnitus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Seriously, that's some SERIOUS accuracy.  :biggrin:  I can pull "All Black" at 20 ft...with maby a flyer, shootin from a weaver stance usin the front site only and with both eyes open.

Which eye you use, left, right, cross eye dominant, both eyes open is a highly personal thing.  A friend of mine wanted to join a club and did not want to do it alone, so I did all the required instruction from their instructor who insisted that I do everything his way (double thumbs forward, both eyes open).  So, I re-positioned my hands and told him I was doing my eyes the way he wanted (which he can't see I'm not because he is behind me).  But, I still shot with one eye open.

Later, I was getting instruction from an actual shooting champion and he said making someone change is total nonsense.  Plus. he shot with one eye closed.

Another, guy was a military one in a thousand shooter and he said when he taught in the military, he taught their method with both eyes open.  But, he himself shot with one eye open.

To each his own.  When I shoot lefty, I use my left eye.  When I shoot righty, I use my right eye.  It might come in handy if I ever shot around a barrier. 

Lefty, I shoot in a weaver stance.  Righty, I do a Chapman stance. 

• Like 2

I shoot for the enjoyment and to make sure I can keep it close to the 10 ring. But mostly too have fun. No holster drills aloud at my range. When summer is back I will get back to the woods and shoot alone.  Indoor range is run by the state and they don’t take no bullshit. Eff around and you’re gone. 

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Eric said:

I am the guy who sets up to shoot his 1911 and five minutes later a retiree sets up next to him with to test-fire five rifles he just had fitted with muzzle brakes, 4 of which are belted magnums. This is of course is at a range with a corregated tin roof over the firing line. I pack up and GTFO after ten rounds from the first muzzlebraked  rifle, a .300 H&H Magnum.

That happened to me once in PHX, at Ben Avery. The concussion from that freaking rifle was like getting hit with a padded baseball bat.

Anyway, I am the kind of shooter who prefers few or no other shooters in the immediate area when he shoots.

Try a .30-378 with a brake on it. Instant tinnitus.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have lever guns and revolvers. I shoot the rifles like Lucas McCain and the revolvers get fanned. Let's go, Cowboy.

Same here, other than I don't swing cock my lever action and I definitely don't fan revolvers. 

For me it's one eyed shooting and all about speed. 

Speed, speed, like Lightning McQueen I just want to go fast.  Starting hands not touching guns or ammo the first pistol or rifle shot has to hit the target in less than a second.  Shotgun has to be loaded, so less than two seconds for that first round to hit a target.

Semi-auto rifles and pistols cycle their actions to slowly.  If you want to go fast, single action pistols and a lever action rifle is the way to go. 

I don't care about the 10 ring, our targets are steel and a hit anywhere on the target is a hit.

Here’s a day at the range for me. Shooter starts rifle in hand, alternate 5 single taps on the left two targets then 5 singles on the right two targets. With pistols alternate 10 single taps on two targets, load shotgun and knockdown 4 targets.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Which eye you use, left, right, cross eye dominant, both eyes open is a highly personal thing.  A friend of mine wanted to join a club and did not want to do it alone, so I did all the required instruction from their instructor who insisted that I do everything his way (double thumbs forward, both eyes open).  So, I re-positioned my hands and told him I was doing my eyes the way he wanted (which he can't see I'm not because he is behind me).  But, I still shot with one eye open.

Later, I was getting instruction from an actual shooting champion and he said making someone change is total nonsense.  Plus. he shot with one eye closed.

Another, guy was a military one in a thousand shooter and he said when he taught in the military, he taught their method with both eyes open.  But, he himself shot with one eye open.

To each his own.  When I shoot lefty, I use my left eye.  When I shoot righty, I use my right eye.  It might come in handy if I ever shot around a barrier. 

Lefty, I shoot in a weaver stance.  Righty, I do a Chapman stance. 

I shoot both eyes open like I said.  My right eye is my dominant eye for sighting.  I am strictly right sided in shooting, pistol or rifle.  If I have any damage to my right eye or hand, I'll basically find myself a corner, put the gun in my left hand and being as everything will be a blur...just shoot anything that moves!!!!:biggrin:. Shoot YOUR way, whatever works for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both eyes, rifle or handgun. On a moose hunt with a friend we hit a patch of timber during the day to try and jump one up. Did just that with a good size bull. It was close and hauled ass off towards my right running 90 degrees in front of me. I had a high power scope on my Sako and knew I'd never be able to see what I was shooting at through the scope. I threw the rifle up to my shoulder swinging on the moose like a bird with a shotgun. Looking over the scope with both eyes open and drilled him right through the lungs at a dead run. His antlers hang on the wall of my sauna today. His meat has long since been sent to the septic tank one turd at a time.

I practice with the handguns, both hands. I wear my revolver swung right around front when I'm in bear country. I want to be able to unholster it with either hand and I don't want it to get knocked around behind my ass if a bear pounces me. I practice left handed so I might still have a chance if a bear is gnawing on my right arm. Things you think of when slogging through the brush in brown bear habitat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Me.

I take pictures of my targets and post them.  Does that make me the Social Media Guy?

Ruger Redhawk .44, Right Hand best on October 15, 2020 - seven yards

10152020RightBestCrop.jpg

Ruger Redhawk .44, Left Hand best on October 15, 2020 - seven yards

10152020BestLeftCropSmall.jpg

That second one, with all the flyers in one hole.  Amazing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pittpa said:

That second one, with all the flyers in one hole.  Amazing.

This one was two flyers away from that elusive smiley face:

02192020RightBestCropMed.jpg

And.this one was my best inverted mark of Zorro:

103119BestRightCropSmall.jpg

The less than sign (and the inevitable flyer). If only the flyer had been just to the left of the bullseye:

103119BestLeftCropSmall.jpg

Edited by minervadoe

I don't like indoor ranges.  For most of my years outdoors I worked on point shooting for maybe up to 50 feet.  I have confidence in my ability to hit my target that way.

For everything else I work on both eyes open and the gun feeling comfortable in my hand/s.  I do tend to hit the Black while not target shooting.

But, My concern in my older years is for  protection for me and my wife.  So I'm back to lot's of point shooting and no indoor ranges.  But, with disappearing rural shooting I'm going to have to rely on past practice.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, pfigment said:

I can hit the broad side of a barn....

My grandpa and his brothers were orphaned at a young age. They lived with the evil step mom. She had some preacher dude that used to come by and pan handle money while telling the boys a bunch of bullshit stories about what a great woodsman he was, and a crack shot. So they prepared a muzzle loader for him. Double charge of powder and then rammed a spike down the barrel. When he showed up they had a target on the side of the barn and asked him if he could hit it. "Why sure I can." They hand him the rifle. When it fires he landed on his ass with the rifle behind him and the bridge spike stuck in the wood of the barn sideways. He never came back. Probably figured those boys were gonna kill him. 

• Haha 5

On 12/1/2020 at 3:57 PM, Walt Longmire said:

Range? I own a gravel pit. It's filled with lead.

Range? I'm lucky to live where I can go almost any direction and not too far and have a place to shoot. Most of my shooting buddies are shooting in the happy hunting grounds though. Not much fun alone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Inyo Tim said:

Range? I'm lucky to live where I can go almost any direction and not too far and have a place to shoot. Most of my shooting buddies are shooting in the happy hunting grounds though. Not much fun alone.

It pretty much sucks when part of an experience was the bonding you had with friends who are now gone.  I still do the stuff I used to do with a friend who has passed, but it took a while.

49 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

they prepared a muzzle loader for him. Double charge of powder and then rammed a spike down the barrel. When he showed up they had a target on the side of the barn and asked him if he could hit it. "Why sure I can." They hand him the rifle. When it fires he landed on his ass with the rifle behind him and the bridge spike stuck in the wood of the barn sideways. He never came back. Probably figured those boys were gonna kill him. 

It sounds like the Katzenjammer kids.

1373196-kk22.jpg

• Haha 2

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:33 PM, Eric said:

The hunting club I belong to has a range set up. I either go there or to my Dad's property. I am so grateful I don't have to go to a public range.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clancy said:

. I am so grateful I don't have to go to a public range.

You are so lucky you don't have to.  We used to drive three hours to Los Padres National Forest to shoot and camp.  Then they changed their rules and you couldn't shoot within 100 yards of the road.  :599c64365a11b_brickwall:

• Like 1

I am the kind that goes out into the desert and shoots at whatever crap I had saved up to shoot at.  Getting a collection of metal targets.  I don't like indoor ranges or organized ranges in general.  I am better than the average doofus that shows up at a range but nothing to brag about.