Minivan camper build

crockett

3 hours ago, crockett said:

Wiring is FINALLY done! Also finished staining the cabinet.

I bought some 1-1/2" butcher block at Home Depot. This will now go on-top of it. Finished the cardboard template tonight.

image.thumb.png.312943f734ffaad857573806529895bb.png

image.thumb.png.e70cd2493adbe4955c1c1ad91e022b6a.png

image.thumb.png.d268a6525b59c6ebd6cee9a7dd4d6527.png

I had to teach a supposed 15 year experienced trim contractor what making templates means and why there's a hot glue gun on the job. Nevermind dado blades, routers and jigs aplenty. 

Faucet installed. Waiting for the soap dispenser, to be delivered tomorrow. Once the hole is in for the dispenser, I can waterproof the butcher block with 3 coats of polyurethane.

Can't wait to get the flooring and bedframe done. Really want to get out on a trip.

image.thumb.png.2c9ee7cd38c299e40b05be48fe8e86f6.png

• Like 2

Started with flooring today. Well building supports for the plywood sheets. These damn minivans don't have a flat and easy to work with floor. It's not level, many pieces protrude, very limited anchor points, and the cubby holes where the middle row seat used to go are too big to cover with 3/4" plywood. Walking on it bends into the holes and puts pressure on the fresh water tank. So I had to fabricate a support to make the area smaller.

It's an L shaped aluminum profile, bolted to the seat screws, with a 2 by 4 bolted to the aluminum. This has the perfect height to support the plywood panel to come.

First test with a smaller piece:

I'd rather weld a complete and custom aluminum support, but by the time I have ordered a welder, all gear, and learned TIG, it would be Christmas. Really trying to get this flooring and bed frame done within 2 weeks so that I can get out once it cools off a little.

That being said, I'll still get a welder.

The massive LIfePo4 batterie with management module, 1200 watt 120 Volt AC inverter, DC to DC charger, and solar charger generate a ton of heat when charging or discharging. Since everything will be hidden under the flooring, I had to come up with a cooling solution.

2 fans will be installed in the floor, one pulling cooler air in, the other one pushing hot air hot. They will be installed here, out of the way and under the bed:

Testing the cooling system. It was designed to run on 120 Volts AC but I didn't want to use my inverter to run the AC adapter for this thing, just so it can bring the voltage down to 6.5 Volts. I installed a 12 to 6.5 volt step down regulator.

Installed the display module in the kitchen isle. It only turns the fans on at a preset temperature. It is also speed controlled.

• Like 2

Found some vinyl sheeting. Stuff is designed for marine applications so it will be good for high temp scenarios. Had to order it online from CA. Will take about 10 days to arrive.

installation-Lonwood-Marine-teak-holly-webL-7.jpg

I will be using the time to design the slide out bedframe. Will look like this:

image.png.6474bc322ab631de1f1919ff7e87a5ba.png

• Like 2

I don't like this porta potty thingy.

- the seat is way too small

- having to dump black water manually is no fun

- the chemicals needed to eliminate the stink of no 2 smells even worse

I bunch of van folks use composting toilets these days.

- it separates no 1 from no 2

- no water or chemicals are used

- you can dump the container for no 1 separately

- no 2 goes into a bag, gets covered with some composting material like kitty litter, and can be thrown out at any time

- the toilet gets an exhaust vent to the outside with a small fan

You can buy these composting toilets for 1 grand, but I will build my own. Something that will be entirely covered when not in use, with a full size seat.

Kinda like this one..

5 hours ago, DAKA said:

McD bathroom? 

Home Depot, Loews? 

:shoot-me:

There is no McD, HomeDepot or Loews at my beaches. Leaving the beach and going back over the bridge is a 40 min roundtrip. That's exactly one reason why I bought this minivan and why I convert it into a camper. I want to be able to stay at places for full days or even a couple nights.

Having a toilet in an RV or a camper build is the same thing.

Most public restrooms are disgusting to begin with. And with this virus I avoid going into any buildings. It only increases the risk of infection.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 11:48 PM, MO Fugga said:

I had to teach a supposed 15 year experienced trim contractor what making templates means and why there's a hot glue gun on the job. Nevermind dado blades, routers and jigs aplenty. 

There are two kinds of experience. One is one year repeated fifteen times. The other is fifteen years of increasingly responsible and varied experience. 

• Like 1

The passive battery cell balancer in the battery management system was not able to keep the 4 cells equally charged.

image.thumb.png.e1b9235919b7f6c60832a18fe713def0.png

While the voltage is very close, the charge level of cell 1 is much higher.

So I had to add an active balancer on-top of the existing system.

It's crazy how easy it used to be back in the day to put some simple lead acid batteries in parallel. These new LifePo4 cells need a ton of monitoring, balancing and charging systems.

I said it before, that pack of 4 cells with the combined size of a regular car battery houses the usable energy of SIX lead acid car batteries. Short that thing and say good-buy to the car. The resulting run-away fire WILL burn it down.

image.png.0d544ea61372bd0ff34b7b9439051d7d.png

image.png.26cdc8ab8c6cc578bf16d38d493d50b1.png

7 hours ago, crockett said:

The passive battery cell balancer in the battery management system was not able to keep the 4 cells equally charged.

image.thumb.png.e1b9235919b7f6c60832a18fe713def0.png

While the voltage is very close, the charge level of cell 1 is much higher.

So I had to add an active balancer on-top of the existing system.

It's crazy how easy it used to be back in the day to put some simple lead acid batteries in parallel. These new LifePo4 cells need a ton of monitoring, balancing and charging systems.

I said it before, that pack of 4 cells with the combined size of a regular car battery houses the usable energy of SIX lead acid car batteries. Short that thing and say good-buy to the car. The resulting run-away fire WILL burn it down.

image.png.0d544ea61372bd0ff34b7b9439051d7d.png

image.png.26cdc8ab8c6cc578bf16d38d493d50b1.png

Again I say, Crockett...YOUR layout and work are GENIUS !  (Pretty neat too) 

7 hours ago, DAKA said:

Again I say, Crockett...YOUR layout and work are GENIUS !  (Pretty neat too) 

Its actually pretty messy by this point. There is not much room to make things look nice. Not having access to a proper shop takes also a toll.

When lot prices come back down, I'll buy some land. At least 5 acres. Large, AC'd shop and new house to come. Say hello to welding station, CNC machines, woodworking corner, etc.