Minivan camper build

crockett

2 hours ago, Historian said:

You have to admire the dedication to that kind of life style hoping to get ahead in life.     But when you think about it.  If you can buy right out the house...you start saving with the next pay check.

Debt is a cast iron bitch.

It goes beyond that. You can work with your early equity. Get a 150k loan on your house, buy 2 fixer upper houses from the auction for 50k each, invest 25k each, rent out. One pays the 150k loan back, the other adds enough income that you don't need to work anymore. Retire early or use free time to make even more money.

It's quite easy to be set and done (retired) after 10 years of being super frugal, saving and investing everything into yourself, all from a 50k job. That's obviously not what society or our screwed up school system tells young people. They are all supposed to go to college on debt, pay that debt back, buy a car on debt, pay that back, buy a house, again on debt, pay that back, and pay taxes that can't cover the national debt.

All this is in place to milk 98% of the population, so the remaining 2% can make millions and billions.

People are dumb and sheep, they don't sit down and think independently, they just follow. And it won't get any better with the left making them even less independent and free-thinking.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, crockett said:

They are all supposed to go to college on debt, pay that debt back, buy a car on debt, pay that back, buy a house, again on debt, pay that back, and pay taxes that can't cover the national debt.

I tell people all the time to choose wisely in regards to what you major in college.   I'm not saying you can't make a living as a fine arts major.  But it's not an easy path.  And you'll likely need a backup option.

I once met a lady with a PHD in 17th century French Literature.  This is an extremely important area of study as it is the foundation the Constitution of the US...(it's a long journey).

So i asked her...how many jobs open in your area a year?  She said perhaps eight.  So she works as a research librarian helping others with their research.

Brilliant lady.  Limited options. Not limited in other areas.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Historian said:

I tell people all the time to choose wisely in regards to what you major in college.   I'm not saying you can't make a living as a fine arts major.  But it's not an easy path.  And you'll likely need a backup option.

I once met a lady with a PHD in 17th century French Literature.  This is an extremely important area of study as it is the foundation the Constitution of the US...(it's a long journey).

So i asked her...how many jobs open in your area a year?  She said perhaps eight.  So she works as a research librarian helping others with their research.

Brilliant lady.  Limited options. Not limited in other areas.

If it  makes her happy...

Graham Stephan didn't go to college. He got a realtor license, sold homes and lived super frugal for years, investing everything he made into a tiny duplex. Rented it out while he lived in just one room. Once he had enough equity for a loan, he bought the next house and rented all rooms out. Meanwhile he started a YouTube channel for young folks, teaching them how to skip all this college nonsense and become truly successfully.

This video is a year old, he now makes even more. A year ago he was making 160k. EVERY month. At age 29. He now has several properties worth some 6 million.

THATS a smart human being.

Edited by crockett
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crockett said:

Graham Stephan didn't go to college. He got a realtor license, sold homes and lived super frugal for years, investing everything he made into a tiny duplex. Rented it out while he lived in just one room. Once he had enough equity for a loan, he bought the next house and rented all rooms out. Meanwhile he started YouTube channel for young folks, teaching them how to skip all this college nonsense and become truly successfully.

This video is a year old, he now makes even more. A year ago he was making 160k. EVERY month. At age 29. He now has several properties worth some 6 million.

Taking “The Road Less Traveled” can pay off. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, crockett said:

She is happy.  And i think she has a fine way to make a living. I mean...she helps people and studies all day.  To a guy like me that sounds wonderful.

That being said.   Someone posted about the road less traveled.

I couldn't have summed it up better for your friend.

Some people think differently.

I have a buddy who is the world's leading exporter of Honduran tomallies.  To be fair...his export website for crafts from Honduras links and ships more than just that one item.

But dang! He sure does provide a way to ship a lot of tomallies!

• Like 2

Cool, I have a buddy doing a similar project.  

I bought a big class A diesel after 9/11 for the same reasons.  Where I wasn't supposed to be, I'd put out a sign "Engine control module failure.  Towing not possible.  Cummins tech scheduled for 0900 repair."  Never had a problem.  :)

I'm sure things are different now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Cool, I have a buddy doing a similar project.  

I bought a big class A diesel after 9/11 for the same reasons.  Where I wasn't supposed to be, I'd put out a sign "Engine control module failure.  Towing not possible.  Cummins tech scheduled for 0900 repair."  Never had a problem.  :)

I'm sure things are different now.

You would be fielding calls, often in pidgin English, wanting to talk with you about your vehicle warranty. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, crockett said:

Trading and cooking in the minivan on the beach...

image.png.30812dd7ecd103eb0ab093019e3d12d6.png

It's a tough life, but Somebody's got to do it man!!!  :anim_lol: Seriously, That's cool as hell!!!  Good for you!!!!  Now...make some money while you're lookin at that beautiful beach and girls!!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Installing pressurizing cabin fans. They will push the hot air out through the cracked windows with window frame shades installed. They will run all day and night, in order to keep heat and moisture out when "living" in a small camper like that. Will install one on both sides. they push 240 cubic feet a minute at only 3 watt combined. Will be a minimal strain on the solar system, which delivers 385 watt a day for about 5 to 6 hours in average, in Florida.

image.png.70fee355328c04bae6be438508027e30.png

Also got my inverter in the mail. Will run everything that needs 120 volts. Enough power for a microwave or induction cooktop.

• Like 4

It will cut down on your airflow and be a service item, but you need to put some sort of filter over those fans. Could be as simple as some foam, or a pleated paper filter for a lawn mower engine, but they need something. It will stop the bugs and cut way down on dust.

Edited by Fog
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fog said:

It will cut down on your airflow and be a service item, but you to put some sort of filter over those fans. Could be as simple as some foam, or a pleated paper filter for a lawn mower engine, but they need something. It will stop the bugs and cut way down on dust.

Well the flaps that should have been in place in those 2 exhaust ports, supposedly only swing open when the heater fan pushes air into the cabin, fell off over time. The rubber became soft and gave in, so it was wide open for a long time. I never saw any bugs coming in since all this is hidden behind the rear bumper.

Granted, when I will suck in air at those ports, unfiltered air will come in, but that's on the same level as an open window, and with these campers you have always doors and windows open. They are not like A or C class RVs with AC units on the roof where you want to keep everything closed and seal off. In a camper with no AC you will need the airflow from open windows etc. or you will burn up.

With these minivans there is no way to install an AC and run it on solar. Roof is too small, not getting enough solar panels installed.

The entire idea behind this mini camper conversion is very close to camping the way it used to be. In a tent or a VW Westfalia Camper Van. It ain't perfect, it will always be an ongoing project (half the fun), and just a way to get to places for a day or a long weekend, without having to use those stupid RV parks where everybody just sits on concrete with full hookups and nothing exciting around.

• Like 1

Don’t you own some badass little sports car Crockett? Sorry I didn’t read the whole thread I’m kinda buzzed. Doing time in a mini van . Hey Crockett I watched an episode of top gear America and Rutledge had a thousand horsepower mini van. It was bad ass dude I’m challenging you to make your mini van 1100 hp. Come on guys encourage Crockett to accomplish this. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hook said:

Don’t you own some badass little sports car Crockett? Sorry I didn’t read the whole thread I’m kinda buzzed. Doing time in a mini van . Hey Crockett I watched an episode of top gear America and Rutledge had a thousand horsepower mini van. It was bad ass dude I’m challenging you to make your mini van 1100 hp. Come on guys encourage Crockett to accomplish this. 

Yeah, and I have owned a bunch of nice car, but I got tired of not being able to enjoy myself at the beach (or anywhere for that matter) because people don't pay attention and scratch / ding your **** up left and right.

So my solution was a cheap ass beater for only 3k. If that minivan gets scratched up by beach chairs and crap people move between cars, I do not care.

And this really works, I stay entire days at the beach with zero worries, and when I feel like eating something or taking a nap, I have everything right there.

Trying to get away from fast cars as well. You can't go anywhere fast around my neck with all that traffic and idiots from up North, and if you try, you may get arrested quickly. I don't need that in my life.

• Like 3

Oh dude i agree i got a 18 explorer that i take great care of and. i know its not nothing special but i am ocd about keeping my car clean. I once dumped a sure thing cause she wanted to smoke and eat pizza in my ride and i told her no. I did drop her off at her place and no **** dude she farted in my ride two seconds before i stopped at her place. god damn it stunk and pissed me off mind you it was 30 below and i had to roll my windows down and cruise home.Nasty bitch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh dude i agree i got a 18 explorer that i take great care of and. i know its not nothing special but i am ocd about keeping my car clean. I once dumped a sure thing cause she wanted to smoke and eat pizza in my ride and i told her no. I did drop her off at her place and no **** dude she farted in my ride two seconds before i stopped at her place. god damn it stunk and pissed me off mind you it was 30 below and i had to roll my windows down and cruise home.Nasty bitch.

Bet she did all that stuff in bed, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, Swampfox762 said:

Damnit man...really ?

The idea to push hot air out of a car that is parked in the sun, was invented back in the day when I worked in R&D for Benz.

VW tried to get into the luxury sedan market with the all new Phaeton. They put so many new features into that VW that the S class Benz looked like an outdated joke right next to it. One of those features was a semi transparent sunroof with integrated solar panels in the glass.

The energy gained from that panel was used to run 2 cabin fans that pushed the hot air out when the car was sitting in the sun. This feature lowered the inside temperature by over 30 degrees Celsius (from 120 to 90 F). It makes a big difference when you get back to you car and enter it at 120 or 90 F. All this without having to run the AC or engine, fully automated.

This is how it looked like:

Tutorial 10 | Personal Selling & Negotiation

The VW Phaeton never really succeeded because people bought Benz for their heritage and branding, so they stuck with it. Nobody was willing to pay 100k for a VW. Well, besides me... this was mine back in the day...

• Like 3

• crockett changed the title to Minivan camper build