The Bore Site Is Moving

Eric

51 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

She was something, wasn't she?

The famous historian Richard Rhodes wrote a great book about her.  

For those missing the connection she played a role in developing the concept of frequency hopping in communication.  You all use it.  It's called Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum.   There are variations to what this is called. 

This is how it works on your cell phone or cordless home phone.  In WWII it was used for guiding torpedoes.

Change the frequency quickly and it's hard to listen in to.  It dances around.  You have have a device that computes those changes and matches them.

spread spectrum technique

This is what it looks like on a scope.

Frequency hopping spread spectrum

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Getting back to the beginning, Eric announced the site is moving out late at night when nobody is around. It's my experience that it's better not to announce these things publicly, but WTF.

I'm having a bit of trouble with some of the services on the new server, but it is almost sorted. I am going to try to move the site in the next two days. If I can't, it is going to cost me another month for the old server.

As for moving the place late at night, that is to avoid interupting site access to the least number of people possible. It isn't done for security, so much as to make the transition go more smoothly for everyone involved. Security is an important concern and it is one that I don't discuss much online, for obvious reasons. This type of work will definitely give you worry lines.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

I'm having a bit of trouble with some of the services on the new server, but it is almost sorted. I am going to try to move the site in the next two days. If I can't, it is going to cost me another month for the old server.

As for moving the place late at night, that is to avoid interupting site access to the least number of people possible. It isn't done for security, so much as to make the transition go more smoothly for everyone involved. Security is an important concern and it is one that I don't discuss much online, for obvious reasons. This type of work will definitely give you worry lines.

Good luck Bro.  I hate siht like this...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Good luck Bro.  I hate siht like this...

He has this.

In like Flint.

Eric is as good, and reality, better, than guys i work with in the real world of IT.

He will never say it.

But we are all ready to hold his beer.

Edited by Historian
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Historian said:

He has this.

In like Flint.

Eric is as good, and reality, better, than guys i work with in the real world of IT.

He will never say it.

But we are all ready to hold his beer.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I appreciate the vote of confidence. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Really?  I'd hire you where i work. In like two seconds...but HR will take about six months to make it happen.  They are..douche bags.

Besides, your BS meter is too sensitive to work for epic levels of stupid.

When i retire i will build that monument....it must be understood.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Historian said:

Really?  I'd hire you where i work. In like two seconds...but HR will take about six months to make it happen.  They are..douche bags.

Besides, your BS meter is too sensitive to work for epic levels of stupid.

When i retire i will build that monument....it must be understood.

I've tried working in corporate (and similar) environments. It isn't a good fit. It becomes clear fairly quickly to everyone that I am not quite housebroken. My mouth has always gotten me in trouble. I had a Drill Sgt in Basic tell me (While I was in the front-leaning rest position), that with a mouth like mine, by the time I finished Basic I was going to have a body like a Greek God. I don't think I accomplished that, but I was in pretty freaking great shape when I left FT Benning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I think I've overcome all the issues I needed to resolve and I'm ready to transfer the site. I am going to try to make the changeover tomorrow night or Tuesday night. I'll leave a message up on the old server with information for anyone who might have trouble with the changeover. The move should be completely transparent to almost all of you. If there are any who do not get transported to the new site after the move, it will be a DNS or browser caching issue. There can generally be resolved with a restart of your computer and/or router.

The site will not immediately be using SSL to serve pages, but that will come online within a week. More to come.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

Am I the only one concerned about Eric's new server becoming self aware? I mean, this is essentially how humanity ends?? Nobody takes me seriously, next thing you know, SKYNET is glassing over the world...

Group of computer scientists worked for decades building the ultimate computer. Finally all was ready and they turned it on and asked their first question “Is there a God?”

“There is now.”

• Haha 1

• Eric unpinned this topic