Who Still is Using a Plasma TV?

DrB

Just now, Swampfox762 said:

THAT'S friggin AMAZING!!  Nope.  Can't do that.  

When we came home with Little Historian we killed the cable box.   When the TV died we did not replace it.

Got tired of watching a program on WWII Eastern front on the history channel and seeing Iwo Jima or some other palm tree encrusted island of the South Pacific mixed in with the snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Historian said:

When we came home with Little Historian we killed the cable box.   When the TV died we did not replace it.

Got tired of watching a program on WWII Eastern front on the history channel and seeing Iwo Jima or some other palm tree encrusted island of the South Pacific mixed in with the snow.

Admire ya man.  I enjoy my couple of tv time hours each night. "Forged in Fire"..."Ancient Alians"...

• Like 1

Just now, Swampfox762 said:

Admire ya man.  I enjoy my couple of tv time hours each night. "Forged in Fire"..."Ancient Alians"...

Thank you.  I tend to play with my ham radio a lot.  :)  I don't miss the always on presence of the TV but do miss some programing.

We can get a lot of with streaming.  But it's not the same thing as a good TV show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Historian said:

Thank you.  I tend to play with my ham radio a lot.  :) I don't miss the always on presence of the TV but do miss some programing.

We can get a lot of with streaming.  But it's not the same thing as a good TV show.

If this neighborhood I moved into in 98, had allowed me to put up an antenna for my Yaesu...I'd be a different man today.  Seriously.  I miss the hell out of "running skip"...

5 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

If this neighborhood I moved into in 98, had allowed me to put up an antenna for my Yaesu...I'd be a different man today.  Seriously.  I miss the hell out of "running skip"...

There are all sorts of ways to hide an antenna.  I once used a house's gutter system to make a Carolina Windom.   I have a end fed shoved up a tree.  It's been there for four years and the only person who noticed is a professor of at the local university.  She looked at it.  Did the calculations and said....looks like a 20mhz/40mhz antenna.   She said it was cool.

Something else to consider is the FCC trumps your HOA...you are entitled to a modest antenna as a result of your federal license as you are by of the emergency communications system of the US.

Seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

There are all sorts of ways to hide an antenna.  I once used a house's gutter system to make a Carolina Windom.   I have a end fed shoved up a tree.  It's been there for four years and the only person who noticed is a professor of at the local university.  She looked at it.  Did the calculations and said....looks like a 20mhz/40mhz antenna.   She said it was cool.

Something else to consider is the FCC trumps your HOA...you are entitled to a modest antenna as a result of your federal license as you are by of the emergency communications system of the US.

Seriously.

That's now days my friend.  Back in 98... not so much.  That was back when, when I fired up that radio...I bled over over into my 2 neighbors CABLE tv!!

8 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

That's now days my friend.  Back in 98... not so much.  That was back when, when I fired up that radio...I bled over over into my 2 neighbors CABLE tv!!

We also were blamed because a certain popular truck engine also radiated about the same frequency and screwed up TVs.

You should get an antenna up...even a 144mhz..and irritate some elections.

I put that part about electrons in to get back on thread.  :)

• Haha 1

I have a big antenna on a CDE Rotator in the attic along with a Blonder Tongue Distribution amp.  I can get stations from Canada, Up past Detroit and much of Ohio depending on the position.  Sometimes during a full moon I even think I can hear the mice eating the green cheese up there bleeding into the system.. Dave....

1 hour ago, DrB said:

I have a big antenna on a CDE Rotator in the attic along with a Blonder Tongue Distribution amp.  I can get stations from Canada, Up past Detroit and much of Ohio depending on the position.  Sometimes during a full moon I even think I can hear the mice eating the green cheese up there bleeding into the system.. Dave....

I have an antenna in the attic for the TV as well. I get Dallas and can turn it around to get Tyler/Longview market areas. All more of the same, so no need in it, but can do it if needed. What a great picture the new digital signals put out. Very impressive.

• Like 1

When they first came out, the Army bought a bunch of them to use in command posts hung up on the walls.

Whoever it was that made this decision obviously didn't know anything about the downsides of plasma TV sets, within a few weeks a bunch of them were unusable due to screen burn, because the main things on display in an Army command post either don't change or only barely change.

Me personally I can't recall if I've ever actually seen a plasma TV screen turned on.  I'm in the same boat of not having a TV.  Growing up we didn't have reception so all we could do is watch VHS movies, then by the time affordable satellite (mini dish systems) came out and my parents splurged on one, I was out in the Army.  With high speed internet I never saw the point of TV, and my personal opinion is commercials are one of the worst things possible when it comes to mental health, so I avoid them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I haven't heard a commercial in YEARS!  I lay in Wait to INSTANTLY hit the MUTE button!!  It's an obsession with me...

Same here..  Any show with a laugh track also gets instantly canned as well.

• Like 1