Connected Car Cyberattacks Have Skyrocketed

pipedreams

"While the idea of “connected” cars seems like a logical and convenient path for the automotive industry to appease customers, it brings with it one major Achilles’ heel: these vehicles are far more susceptible to cyberattacks than traditional cars. 

The personal data fraud that comes with connected cars has skyrocketed, with USwitch estimating that connected car cyberattacks have risen by 99% over the last year alone."

https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/cars%20two.jpg?itok=0t84lpg-

https://www.activistpost.com/2020/08/connected-car-cyberattacks-have-skyrocketed-up-99-in-the-past-year.html

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

"While the idea of “connected” cars seems like a logical and convenient path for the automotive industry to appease customers, it brings with it one major Achilles’ heel: these vehicles are far more susceptible to cyberattacks than traditional cars. 

The personal data fraud that comes with connected cars has skyrocketed, with USwitch estimating that connected car cyberattacks have risen by 99% over the last year alone."

https://www.activistpost.com/2020/08/connected-car-cyberattacks-have-skyrocketed-up-99-in-the-past-year.html

As crime is easier to do with minimal punishment, you begin so see just how many of our world are on the very precipice of dishonesty and lawlessness.

No punishment of consequence, and no concern for others rights.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2020 at 1:42 PM, pipedreams said:

GREAT! New cars will be coming with Norton Anti-virus pre installed, but to get it over 40 MPH the Norton will have to be removed.

• Haha 5

On 8/12/2020 at 4:35 PM, minervadoe said:

It'll survive an EMP.  That's more than you can say about cars with computer operated fuel injection.  

Sadly, it will last as long as the tank of petrol does. Then, it will be as useless as the latest 2021 Mercedes Benz S-Klasse sedan. 

Without electricity or computerized SCADA systems, no refinery will produce petroleum products and delivery to the local service station will be impossible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blueiron said:

Sadly, it will last as long as the tank of petrol does. Then, it will be as useless as the latest 2021 Mercedes Benz S-Klasse sedan. 

Without electricity or computerized SCADA systems, no refinery will produce petroleum products and delivery to the local service station will be impossible.

As a kid, when I used to watch the show Combat my dad (a WWII veteran) was always quick to point out French civilian cars with modified water heaters on the roof.  Apparently, people back then were clever enough to mount stills on their car that made fuel as they drove.  I have my doubts about the capabilities of current generations dependent on their smart phones.

Me?  I'd be fine riding a bike and sheltering in place. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 9:40 PM, Paul53 said:

At first glance, the thought of some hacker trying to tap into my TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) but I suppose it's just a door into the main brain.

Many "brains" seemed to be accessed via the "rear entry port".

• Haha 2

On 8/12/2020 at 6:58 PM, Paul53 said:

GREAT! New cars will be coming with Norton Anti-Virus pre installed, but to get it over 40 MPH the Norton will have to be removed.

I really hope not. I'll take my chances running Commando before trusting anything Norton.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

There is a reason that I keep no data other than a contact list on my smart(ass)phone. If it were not for weather radar and GPS, I wouldn't even own this annoying butt dialing POS.

I also do not connect my phone or any other device to my car. If you call and I don't answer, I might call you back after I park my truck.

My wife on the other hand, has Apple Car Play in her new car and won't even leave the driveway without connecting her phone. So I just sent her the link from the fist post to see if I could switch on her paranoia.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 7:22 PM, blueiron said:

I have home brewed fuel for non fuel injected engines before. Not as big a deal as you might think.

• 2 months later...

I'm sick and tired of all this tracking and zero privacy bullshit.

I almost crashed one time when some shitbag from GM started talking to me in my car out of nowhere, with no ringing sound or anything, asking if I want to extend my online service. Scared the **** out of me.

That's when I found out that they can listen to your conversations at any time.

Ever since first thing I do with every new car or truck purchase, tell the sales person to not enable ANY online connection services or SiriusXM. I'm very loud about that and tell them that the deal will go bad if they provide ANY of my information to those connection services or enable it in the vehicle.

Once I bring the new vehicle home I pull out the infotainment module, unhook all WiFi, Bluetooth and GSM (cell network) antenna connections, open the box, and also remove any WiFi, Bluetooth and GSM network cards. They look much like the ones in laptops. Then I reinstall the infotainments system without connecting the antennas again, just in case they have a second module running directly on the mainboard.

Finally I make test connections to the manufacturer and to my phone to confirm that my vehicle is 100% offline and can't be connected to in any way.

This is the MyLink module in most current GM products:

Img-3206.jpg

This is the wireless module of my Corvette. I keep that crap in a bag, just in case I ever sell the vehicle.

1.png

Obviously I lost all emergency services that will call authorities if I end up in a crash or if my vehicle gets stolen it can't be tracked, but I'm fine with that. Haven't had any of that fancy **** for many decades.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, crockett said:

I'm sick and tired of all this tracking bullshit and zero privacy.

I almost crashed one time when some shitbag from GM started talking to me in my car out of nowhere, with no ringing sound or anything, asking if I want to extend my online service. Scared the **** out of me.

That's when I found out that they can listen to your conversations at any time.

Ever since first thing I do with every new car or truck purchase, tell the sales person to not enable ANY online connection services or SiriusXM. I'm very loud about that and tell them that the deal will go bad if they provide ANY of my information to those connection services or enable it in the vehicle.

Once I bring the new vehicle home I pull out the infotainment module, unhook all WiFi, Bluetooth and GSM (cell network) antenna connections, open the box, and also remove any WiFi, Bluetooth and GSM network cards. They look much like the ones in laptops. Then I reinstall the infotainments system without connecting the antennas again, just in case they have a second module running directly on the mainboard.

Finally I make test connections to the manufacturer and to my phone to confirm that my vehicle is 100% offline and can't be connected to in any way.

This is the MyLink module in most current GM products:

Img-3206.jpg

This the wireless module of my Corvette. I keep that crap in a bag, just in case I ever sell the vehicle.

1.png

You go to a lot more trouble than I do. I just keep driving my pickup that is old enough not to have any of that crap.

My wife and I were out the other day and she said something about getting rid of the two pickups and getting me something newer. I don't swear at my wife often, but.........

• Like 1

Just now, jmohme said:

You go to a lot more trouble than I do. I just keep driving my pickup that is old enough not to have any of that crap.

My wife and I were out the other day and she said something about getting rid of the two pickups and getting me something newer. I don't swear at my wife often, but.........

I can related 100%, I'm inclined to sell my Vette and my newish 2018 RAM truck, keep the minivan camper thing for the beach and maybe get an old truck if I ever need one again.

Traffic is so bad around my neck, the Vette makes zero sense, and I'm not inclined to do the track day stuff ever again. Its just too much time, money and tires for going around in circles once a month.

I don't know what it is, but I really miss the good old times. Away from all this hectic time, left wing hate and over-regulation crap we are seeing these days.

If I wouldn't be so much in love with my local beach and warm weather year round, I'd be long somewhere in a cabin, on a remote mountain, somewhere in Wyoming.