What is your internet download speed?

DrB

I live in the country and my house is 400+ ft. back from the road.  No cable, no nothing running down the road. The crap phone company could only get me 5mbs.  Long story short, I saw a truck stringing cable about a mile up the road and stopped to talk. 

End of story.... is finally I have decent internet without using my phone as a hotspot.  500mbs and can go to 1gbs if I want.  They ran the cable to the pole, and 400 ft.+ Rg11 flooded quad shield underground to my house.  No charge to me, no contract.   Yep ..I'm getting 480mbs+ download speed. 

Going from only offered 5mbs from the phone company. due to my location.  The phone company internet folks asked me "Why do you need all that speed?"  I cancled my landline phone.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Funny thing is they had to send someone from a regional area (a hour away) to terminate the RG11. as they normally run that to a house.  The installer they sent did not even know what that cable was.  Only the "big stuff" when he called in.  I told him it was CommScope and gave him the part number. I tried educate him a little but all I got was "you won't be losing a lot of db's"  I did not want to get into that discussion so I kept my mouth  shut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I played mind games with him with a lot of technical questions and such.  Like what is the difference between crimp connections vs compression connections and why would chose one over the other?  Is  this cable solid copper center conductor or copper coated steel?  What is flooded cable and why.  Simple things like that..

I think he was  more than happy to get out...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrB said:

"Why do you need all that speed?"  Hahaa...

Because that's what's on my desk at the office and you won't sell me 10G at a decent price.

Otherwise i'd like it to match my network speeds internally.

BTW...it's never Gig.  There's overhead and latency issues.  They get close.

14 minutes ago, Historian said:

Because that's what's on my desk at the office and you won't sell me 10G at a decent price.

Otherwise i'd like it to match my network speeds internally.

BTW...it's never Gig.  There's overhead and latency issues.  They get close.

Yea, I work with this stuff.  Latency issues within  distance learning , music teaching  is a problem.  We used Polycom a few years ago but many left that format so not used here now.

Edited by DrB

We got "Up To" 400Mbs in April. Could buy up to a Gig, but I don't do Gig stuff, so no need. We don't run fast enough machines to even know what it would be like.

Had DSL and at 8-10 Mbs the improvement isn't all that noticeable unless we were dragged down to 1-2 Mbs, and that happened a lot of late. Either way, the good then vs now is a near instant connection to the internet, and I use a slow and pretty secure search engine compared to some of the more popular. We just stream TV, and use internet. LostWife will do work on the net, but it is no more than opening a web page and actually working with it. The fiber does seem to be much more stable, but the service speed could have a lot to do with that.

Not too shabby for a civilized area. Even with the stupid amount of usage in the area, I rarely go under 200 Mbs. When things settle down and the city folk go the hell home, we will get back to normal, and that should be 350+.

• Like 1

Having a good evening. I ran it earlier today and was in the same ballpark. Upload is pretty steady at 38+ at any given time since the change. This is a bit fast for the area to date. I've only seen this speed once before, so maybe we are thinning out a bit.

1310525091_Screenshot_2020-07-10SpeedtestbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.png.2793f65bd7c82870053ed75157e5e2e9.png

Edited by LostinTexas

We're in the woods 10 miles or so southeast of Richmond. With Comcast. When it works.  :)   (I used to live in town. With FiOS. Near the Stonewall Jackson statue.)  Some speedtest says...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 15 ms
Server: Washington

Your Internet connection is fast.

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos at the same time.

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

115.03 MBPS Download

11.7 MBPS Upload

Spectrum, Central Florida

Spectrum is the company that did all the work here.  I have no complaints so far.  Just glad to finally have internet here.  To run the RG11 underground to the house they had this remote control track machine with a cable spool on top.  Took less than 15 minutes to run 400+ ft. to the house.  Told me it took more time to unload and reload the machine from the trailer than it took to run the cable.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2020 at 11:27 PM, Eric said:

I built and ran Glock Talk for several years on a 28.8k phone modem that actually connected at maybe 16k, on a good day.

Eric, if i may...

You built an excellence.

It just happened to be Glock Tlak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:27 PM, Eric said:

I built and ran Glock Talk for several years on a 28.8k phone modem that actually connected at maybe 16k, on a good day.

I had my own internet starting back when I was 12.  And when I mean my own, I really mean my own.  I paid for the 2nd phone line and paid for the AOL service.  Being that it was a dialup connection, I was limited to how long the phone cord was that was connected to my laptop.  I forget if it was me or someone else, but someone rigged up a ridiculously long phone cord from a bunch of shorter ones and I could literally walk all over my house inside and out!  It was the most ghetto looking thing ever, but hey it worked! 

Edited by Maser
  • Like 1

WOW, someone broke the internet in my area. Both the services are out and my normal 25Mbs hotspot from the cell phone is chugging in the 3-4 Mbs range, so everyone is working off cell it would seem. All the peeps from Dallas area flee the metromess and invade our little slice of heaven and mess it up too. ?

We have had power flickering for a couple of hours and when we asked the neighbor lady if she had internet, she told us several sections of the county were down for power. Good Times.

Edited by LostinTexas

On 7/12/2020 at 9:12 PM, pittpa said:

My friend and I were comparing download speeds. However my computers are on Wi-Fi and run around 80 to 120 Mbps. He sent me his test.7379f4063f9201b9b21bf445329dc070.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's pretty cool.  I'll bet though.. he's paying for a terabyte, and he's falling 100 short. Still...that's some envious speed.