Listening to a Covid survivor. Damn

Interview on local radio with a guy that was diagnosed on Feb 25th. His fiancé also tested positive. 2 months later he still isn't fully recovered. One surprise I heard was that he ended up with eye problems afterwards. There were days he wanted to die. She has kidney damage. This is the second interview like this I have heard. You DO NOT want to get this. 

• Like 2

The problem is, you can find anything if you look hard enough. 

Yes, it sounds like they both have gone through some serious crap,  but you never see/hear an interview from someone who barely had any issues do you? It doesn't fit the narrative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There appears to not be a standard.  A 104 year old women survived it.   We lost a 67 year old woman locally.   Some of the local college students have had it and described it as either not to much of an issue....or really bad.   On 23 year-old was on a ventilator for a few days and thought she was done for.  She was wracked with pain.  She survived.

My wife had a patient who's wife gave it to him.   Lucky guy.  He had a kidney transplant and a heart transplant in the past.  He was ventilated for three days and went home.  His wife  just felt cruddy.

Virus does what a virus does. 

• Thanks 2

I’ve been in quarantine for almost 4 weeks now, waiting for at least one negative test result. Went to the hospital 10 days in due to fever and breathing issues. Even though a chest x-ray indicated pneumonia, I was sent home (not admitted) as not sick enough to be there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, njl said:

I’ve been in quarantine for almost 4 weeks now, waiting for at least one negative test result. Went to the hospital 10 days in due to fever and breathing issues. Even though a chest x-ray indicated pneumonia, I was sent home (not admitted) as not sick enough to be there.

Get better, man. This thing ain't no joke. I have a friend with it. She went to NYC to work with covid patients. Caught it. Spent a week in the hospital with O2 levels in the low 70s. They discharged here when her O2 sat got to 86% (normal is 95-100%). She's home, says she has never felt this bad in her entire life. I'm pretty worried about her- she's a no-bull ER nurse who was in perfect health a month ago.This disease does not fight fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

Get better, man. This thing ain't no joke. I have a friend with it. She went to NYC to work with covid patients. Caught it. Spent a week in the hospital with O2 levels in the low 70s. They discharged here when her O2 sat got to 86% (normal is 95-100%). She's home, says she has never felt this bad in her entire life. I'm pretty worried about her- she's a no-bull ER nurse who was in perfect health a month ago.This disease does not fight fair.

That's the thing that is bothers me about people who don't take this thing serious.  I might get it and it bounces off me like it's nothing.   I give to my neighbor and he's on death's door in a week.    This is a cruel virus.   Not much ryme of reason to the way it works.   And it's not limited to just old people and people with co-morbities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My latest “48h test” took more like 60h for the results to post, but I finally got a negative. That combined with the length of time I’ve been fever-free with no meds means freedom, tomorrow. I’d already gone to sleep and happened to look again (for a result) because I woke up to pee.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tadbart said:

@NPTim I concur.

Of note, interestingly, a homeless shelter in Boston tested all their occupants. About half tested positive, WITH NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL.

That's the thing that worries me about this thing.  Some people, nothing, others all hell breaks lose.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Zonny said:

For an active case or is this an antibody test?

I believe it was a swab, which is active. Antibodies require a blood test. I'll go look for the article.

@Historian yeah. I'm sure in hindsight, we'll be able to see a pattern, but right now, this thing is damn confounding.

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

I believe it was a swab, which is active. Antibodies require a blood test. I'll go look for the article.

@Historian yeah. I'm sure in hindsight, we'll be able to see a pattern, but right now, this thing is damn confounding.

I want my freedom, economy and my old life back.    Not going to happen for a while.

I figure most things are not going to open up again for at least two weeks.  Found it interesting my local Bass Pro is still open because my state considers gun shops...qualified to stay open.

Most of all i want my bar stool back.  I miss my brewery. I was working being a nice shape rather than in shape.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Historian said:

That's the thing that worries me about this thing.  Some people, nothing, others all hell breaks lose.

Is that different that anything else?  Flu obviously kills some and not others.  Seems it is just the way it goes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RenoF250 said:

Is that different that anything else?  Flu obviously kills some and not others.  Seems it is just the way it goes.

Sure. Some people also survive Ebola.   Just depends.  

I know this.  My wife was exposed.  And I sure wouldn't want to risk giving it to someone else.

I know cops that have been doubled over with this and off patrol for two weeks who said it was the worse they ever felt.  We're talking strong men, healthy men, I've seen doctors and nurses with it who are in bad shape.   We're about talking people who take care of themselves.  Then there was the news story of the 104 year old lady who survived it. Sadly she did of something else a few weeks later. 

Where are the answers?   I think in a few years when we look back it will be clear what actually happened. 

That being said.  I think, and I'm no expert, but regionally i think we should start opening things up.  Not everything.   But be wise about how we do this.

My main concern is now that they've done this once...when will they do this again...and for what reason?

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Sure. Some people also survive Ebola.   Just depends.  

I know this.  My wife was exposed.  And I sure wouldn't want to risk giving it to someone else.

I know cops that have been doubled over with this and off patrol for two weeks who said it was the worse they ever felt.  We're talking strong men, healthy men, I've seen doctors and nurses with it who are in bad shape.   We're about talking people who take care of themselves.  Then there was the news story of the 104 year old lady who survived it. Sadly she did of something else a few weeks later. 

Where are the answers?   I think in a few years when we look back it will be clear what actually happened. 

That being said.  I think, and I'm no expert, but regionally i think we should start opening things up.  Not everything.   But be wise about how we do this.

My main concern is now that they've done this once...when will they do this again...and for what reason?

I think they should take some of this money they are pissing away on ventilators and converting hospital garages to actually investigate why some die from a virus that others barely experience.  Seems we have very little knowledge in that area.  Think of what $1T could have done for immune system study instead of just pissing it away like this.

• Like 1