Anyone prepping for a pandemic?

2 hours ago, NPTim said:

I like what Dr. Drew Pinski (sp?) had to say and confirmed my thoughts on it as well.

I agree. Personally, if this is something that kills me I won't care. 

If it is something that gets me a distinct advantage on my stock account, I care. 

If I'm alive I'll have more money in my pocket. 

If I'm dead, I don't care.  Huh - Said that already didn't I.

• Like 2

It saddens me, but doesn't surprise me, how easily folk are to stampede.

One steer sees a rattlesnek fifty feet away and starts to run.

All of the other steers start to run.

They keep running.

None of the steers think to ask what they are running from, but they all know, they need to run.

Even when they learn that the danger is far away and no longer a threat, they keep running.

Because all of the other steers are running.

I thought that people were supposed to be smarter than cowsies.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tous said:

It saddens me, but doesn't surprise me, how easily folk are to stampede.

One steer sees a rattlesnek fifty feet away and starts to run.

All of the other steers strart to run.

They keep running.

None of the steers thinks to ask what they are running from, but they all know, they need to run.

Even when they learn that the danger is far away and no longer a threat, they keep running.

Because all of the other steers are running.

I thought that people were supposed to be smarter than cowsies.

Come on now!  You are old enough, and have seen enough, that you must know people are not as smart as those steers!

I told my kids that there is not reason to panic over anything.  If it's bad enough to cause panic, then just get your ass in gear and fix it.  If you have time to panic, then you have time to do something about it!  While you are fixing the problem you don't have the time to panic.  If the problem is over and done with, panic is a useless activity.  If you can't do anything about the problem, then panic is a useless waste of energy and again, serves no earthly purpose.

Remember the words of the ultimate reference: 

"...The novel explains that this was partly because the device "looked insanely complicated" to operate, and partly to keep intergalactic travellers from panicking.[49] "It is said that despite its many glaring (and occasionally fatal) inaccuracies, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy itself has outsold the Encyclopedia Galactica because it is slightly cheaper, and because it has the words 'DON'T PANIC' in large, friendly letters on the cover."[4]

Arthur C. Clarke said Douglas Adams' use of "don't panic" was perhaps the best advice that could be given to humanity.[50]...",

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Don't_Panic

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I told my kids that there is not reason to panic over anything.  If it's bad enough to cause panic, then just get your ass in gear and fix it.  If you have time to panic, then you have time to do something about it!  While you are fixing the problem you don't have the time to panic.  If the problem is over and done with, panic is a useless activity.  If you can't do anything about the problem, then panic is a useless waste of energy and again, serves no earthly purpose.

That was one of my biggest weaknesses as a Naval officer: what if the crap hits the fan and I mess up and my guys get hurt or killed?

Consider that on a ship, a warship, everything on that vessel and the other guy are dangerous and if that danger appears, every eye is going to look right up the chain of command for answers.

It gnawed at me that I might not measure up when those eyes stopped at me, that if I panicked, if I made a mistake, my shipmates would suffer.

We did a lot of drills.  Everyone had already experienced most of what could happen, every man knew his job; I knew mine.

It helped, but never completely got rid of the doubt.

More senior officers told me, Rely on your training, your chiefs, your men and yourself.  You can't do this job if you don't.

Sage advice from an old salty nurse to me as a rookie, Which I have passed on as my saltiness grew- "Assess first, THEN you know what to panic about."

It applies to everything, not just emergency medicine. Figure out what the heck is going on, make a priority list, and then tackle the highest priority first. I'm still not really sure what all these people are panicking about. Obesity, heart disease, cancer, and stroke each individually kill more people yearly, than Wuhan flu ever will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

Sage advice from an old salty nurse to me as a rookie, Which I have passed on as my saltiness grew- "Assess first, THEN you know what to panic about."

11 hours ago, tous said:

More senior officers told me, Rely on your training, your chiefs, your men and yourself.  You can't do this job if you don't.

Sounds like good advice for, like, everything. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 1