The Thing That Sucks About Not Being Able to Do What You Used to Do

Moshe

No flag pole today.  I miss doing stuff by myself.  Handyman didn't have a post hole digger.  Last time I had one, I used it to put 4x8 posts respectively 2 and 3 feet in the ground respectively.  It looked a bit like a shooting stand until I put in the barn side paneling, hardware cloth and built a door.  It keep the rain slopping backwards, when I had birds in it.  Now, I am reduced to not being able to put in a simple flag pole.  I am out of out building business for sure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

whoever said your are only as old as you feel is full of **** . 

im 50 feel 80 .  cancer countless surgeries    8 prescripts daily,   ive put in a hard life , bones feel it .i remember as teenagers  we would climb 

the bricks that stuck out in the pattern all the way to top of gym ,  sit around drink some beer , reflect ,  talking bout doing this forever .  

then people got older , found girls , had kids  , some died    and now i have to use the ladder to go up lol .  hardly see each other anymore

for all kinds of reasons , 2 of my buds are married and henpecked  so bad they got to ask to leave the house . remember bud of mine 

had a cobra 2  farrah fawcett  mustang. pos , we talked out crusing the world .  eventually it all goes to **** for everyone . even betty white is gonna croak sooner 

or later.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ASH said:

whoever said your are only as old as you feel is full of **** . 

im 50 feel 80 .  cancer countless surgeries    8 prescripts daily,   ive put in a hard life , bones feel it .i remember as teenagers  we would climb 

the bricks that stuck out in the pattern all the way to top of gym ,  sit around drink some beer , reflect ,  talking bout doing this forever .  

then people got older , found girls , had kids  , some died    and now i have to use the ladder to go up lol .  hardly see each other anymore

for all kinds of reasons , 2 of my buds are married and henpecked  so bad they got to ask to leave the house . remember bud of mine 

had a cobra 2  farrah fawcett  mustang. pos , we talked out crusing the world .  eventually it all goes to **** for everyone . even betty white is gonna croak sooner 

or later.

Like I tell the wife. It’s like a classic hot rod

its not the years, it’s the mileage

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

Like I tell the wife. It’s like a classic hot rod

its not the years, it’s the mileage

Rode hard and put away wet.

The saying used to be "Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse."

Now the goal is to slide into the casket looking like you gave Keith Richards a run for his money. I want people to audibly gasp when they look into my casket at the funeral and think, "Jesus H. Tapdancin' Christ! THAT ************ squeezed every ounce of fun out of life!"

A person only gets one shot on this planet. You can spend it having fun and making the most of every day that you're given, or you can sit on your ass and whine about every little thing that comes into your thoughts on an internet forum.

I'm not calling any particular individual out, but holy crap, sometimes you just want to call a spade a spade and ask what kind of cheese they want with that whine.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Edited by KWalrad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

when I was 17 I had a bad wreck.  Dr's told parents I wouldn't make it through the night.  Now I'm 61 and have out lived everyone in the family including siblings..  You just never know why you are here and when your time to go will be.    

Now it takes longer to do things, but I still see the green side of the grass.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only fear I have about my dying is the thought of how it would affect my kids.  It hurts me so much to think of how they would feel that I fight to stay with them.  For now.

I don't remember if I said this, but my oldest are starting to approach retirement age and I'm still here...………….

• Like 4

I know so much of life and science, that I try to pass to my extended children. I want them to know that  I loved my life, I want them to know that they can find a life they can love too.  Living should be an adventure with excitement behind every turn, not a condemnation filled with regret and unfulfillment. 

You should approach your end feeling that you couldn't have squeezed any more from life, and your glass is overflowing with great experiences.

Then your end is no different than the start of another new adventure.

I know I'm sounding maudlin, but I'm closer to that new adventure than many realize.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, janice6 said:

I know so much of life and science, that I try to pass to my extended children. I want them to know that  I loved my life, I want them to know that they can find a life they can love too.  Living should be an adventure with excitement behind every turn, not a condemnation filled with regret and unfulfillment. 

You should approach your end feeling that you couldn't have squeezed any more from life, and your glass is overflowing with great experiences.

Then your end is no different than the start of another new adventure.

I know I'm sounding maudlin, but I'm closer to that new adventure than many realize.

Probably because of the fact I'm not supposed to be here I went through life with a totally different view on life.  I tried to do a bucket list and could only come up with 1-2 items.  I have already done what I want to do.  I've been married to the same woman for 41+years and it has always been good.  We have two daughters that are in their thirties and are totally self sufficient with husbands and children.  when they graduated High school some one gave them a book on "places to travel and things to see after school".  They were surprised that they had already seen/experienced most of the things written.

One day a new chapter will start in my life and I am ready. There is nothing I will regret not telling the kids and nothing I regret telling them.  I really have no regrets at all in this life.  The wife will be taken care of if I were to die as I type this.  Things are good.

It amazes me how many people are scared to death (pun intended) of leaving this world.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, janice6 said:

They said you would get old, no one said it would be easy.

as my father declines, he told me the worst thing for him was NOT pain, sickness. it was loss of dignity.

after numerous prostate exams, I must agree.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, refugeepj said:

as my father declines, he told me the worst thing for him was NOT pain, sickness. it was loss of dignity.

after numerous prostate exams, I must agree.

This is true for many people.  Especially for "our" parents who were used to providing for themselves and their families.

One of my father's last words  were, "I guess I'm not good for anything anymore", when he had to have around the clock care.  He gave up and shortly passed from Pneumonia.  He had no reason to do anything anymore. His generation believed that to have "worth" you had to work and provide.  It was sad to see him feel that way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

40 minutes ago, janice6 said:

This is true for many people.  Especially for "our" parents who were used to providing for themselves and their families.

One of my father's last words  were, "I guess I'm not good for anything anymore", when he had to have around the clock care.  He gave up and shortly passed from Pneumonia.  He had no reason to do anything anymore. His generation believed that to have "worth" you had to work and provide.  It was sad to see him feel that way.

pop always wanted to visit Gettysburg. he was somewhat of a civil war historian.

passed an opportunity to visit China.

wanted a red Miata convertible.

I tried to set the example for him. 4X4's, dune buggy, three HARLEYS.

HIS LAST FEW DAYS HE LAMENTED NOT DOING THESE THINGS.

make memories, do it when you get to it, you may never get to it to do it again.

yesterday attended a biker party an hour from home. first one in 16 years.

met some old friends and made some new ones.

good day, beautiful night for the ride home, wee small hours of this morning.

last July, five months after my second knee replacement, took an 11 year old granddaughter on a motorcycle vacation. first day, 360 miles to St Ignace. next day the boat ride to Mackinac Island, spoiled that young lady rotten.

don't know how many more rides I have left at 69 years of age. don't want to die with regrets.

Edited by refugeepj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My pop bit on the G-21, and now I am waiting for my contact to dura coat it for him.  He asked, stereotypically, "What intrinsic value will it have?"

I replied, "What do you mean?"

"When I die, and all guns come back to you, will it ruin the value?"

I replied, "I don't care about resale value, I will keep it to remember my dad with..  It will be sentimental value."

He simply said, "You're a good son."

That is all that value I needed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, refugeepj said:

pop always wanted to visit Gettysburg. he was somewhat of a civil war historian.

passed an opportunity to visit China.

wanted a red Miata convertible.

I tried to set the example for him. 4X4's, dune buggy, three HARLEYS.

HIS LAST FEW DAYS HE LAMENTED NOT DOING THESE THINGS.

make memories, do it when you get to it, you may never get to it to do it again.

yesterday attended a biker party an hour from home. first one in 16 years.

met some old friends and made some new ones.

good day, beautiful night for the ride home, wee small hours of this morning.

last July, five months after my second knee replacement, took an 11 year old granddaughter on a motorcycle vacation. first day, 360 miles to St Ignace. next day the boat ride to Mackinac Island, spoiled that young lady rotten.

don't know how many more rides I have left at 69 years of age. don't want to die with regrets.

When my kids got to the end of High School and were threatened with graduation, One daughter came to me and proclaimed that she was getting married!  I was so disappointed for her and I told her so.  She said, "I'm getting married" why wouldn't you be happy for me.  I said because I am married and here is my view on the timing for marriage

I said that I had told her brother and her sisters that when they got out of school, to find a job that would give them disposable income.  Then get a place of your own that you could call home.  Now party.  Go have fun. find people to do things with to celebrate life and simply enjoy it.  Find a partner that you believed could love you and make you feel you had someone to hold you and who really cared for you when everything, or any single thing, made you feel that your world was crashing down on you and you felt all alone and isolated in your grief.

When you find that person, it may not be your life mate, but it is good enough to let you believe you now know what "love" means.  When you get partied out, When you begin to feel that your not getting the depth of companionship you think you need from your friends and partner, you are now ready to decide on a person to share your life with and enter into marriage.

What's going to happen to you when you get married right out of school, is that very quickly you will look around you and feel life has passed you by.  You will not have lived the part of your life that was just for the fun of it.  While all your other friends will tell you how great it is to be single.

18 months later she was divorced for the very reasons I had told her.  She is now approaching 60 with a husband that worships her, and she finally says she can look back and not regret that she didn't "live life" before she got married, albeit it took two tries.

I told my girls the same thing I told my son. Go party have fun if you want, to use protection and sow some wild oats.  But remember, you will never be able to go back and do this after you are married.  Marriage is a totally different life and you will be expected to now be responsible for you actions.  It will be a wonderful life, but you are now expected to act as an adult.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, janice6 said:

When my kids got to the end of High School and were threatened with graduation, One daughter came to me and proclaimed that she was getting married!  I was so disappointed for her and I told her so.  She said, "I'm getting married" why wouldn't you be happy for me.  I said because I am married and here is my view on the timing for marriage

I said that I had told her brother and her sisters that when they got out of school, to find a job that would give them disposable income.  Then get a place of your own that you could call home.  Now party.  Go have fun. find people to do things with to celebrate life and simply enjoy it.  Find a partner that you believed could love you and make you feel you had someone to hold you and who really cared for you when everything, or any single thing, made you feel that your world was crashing down on you and you felt all alone and isolated in your grief.

When you find that person, it may not be your life mate, but it is good enough to let you believe you now know what "love" means.  When you get partied out, When you begin to feel that your not getting the depth of companionship you think you need from your friends and partner, you are now ready to decide on a person to share your life with and enter into marriage.

What's going to happen to you when you get married right out of school, is that very quickly you will look around you and feel life has passed you by.  You will not have lived the part of your life that was just for the fun of it.  While all your other friends will tell you how great it is to be single.

18 months later she was divorced for the very reasons I had told her.  She is now approaching 60 with a husband that worships her, and she finally says she can look back and not regret that she didn't "live life" before she got married, albeit it took two tries.

I told my girls the same thing I told my son. Go party have fun if you want, to use protection and sow some wild oats.  But remember, you will never be able to go back and do this after you are married.  Marriage is a totally different life and you will be expected to now be responsible for you actions.  I will be a wonder life, but you are now expected to act as an adult.

I told my kids I did not want to hear about nasty, but just a little naughty was a lot of fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, refugeepj said:

I told my kids I did not want to hear about nasty, but just a little naughty was a lot of fun.

I would talk with my kids at any age about any thing, but I'd try to do it so neither one of us is embarrassed.  Anything.  My second daughter later on told me a story about her Boundary Waters Canoe Trip with her husband and just how horrible it was since it rained every single day and was cold.  Then she told me how she insisted he take her from that horrible trip to at fancy hotel for the week end to compensate.  Then she told me how he had to cover her face with a pillow 'cause she was a screamer'.  I didn't know that!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4