What to do with people who lose their mind

RenoF250

2 minutes ago, BMyers said:

20 years as a medic and sometimes people only want to see what they want to see. 

Obviously, you rule out the most threatening, blood sugar, CVA/TIA, renal failure, sepsis, chemical imbalance-both medication induced or biological. It appears at this point that most of the test are coming back negative. You look for a brain tumor or recent head trauma increasing the intracranial pressure. When you rule out everything else, yes, what is being described is dementia. Most families don't see the onset and some deny the signs stating it is just 'old age'. Usually we get called in when they become violent. Yes, people have periods of being more lucid and in-control than other times. Sundowning the person appears basically normal during the day, but as the afternoon/evening progresses they become more confused and exhibit more symptoms. Unfortunately, since the individual isn't sleeping, this can even compound the problem more. 

I watched my grandfather, who during the day was able to farm and go about his life normal, but at night had to be medicated because of the extreme confusion. 

You are certainly right about denial. When my mother started showing signs of memory loss we desperately tried to ascribe her symptoms to normal aging. Even after ten years or more of decline, to the point of severe dementia, and after many support group meetings, professional presentations, etc., my dad said to me "You know, I don't know if your mother is going to get better." He was a very intelligent man and had been presented with all the facts and prognosis. Nevertheless, he held out hope that she would "get better."

The question here is Is this dementia or delirium. Dementia is permanent and progressive, delirium is temporary and can perhaps be treated. We don't know the patient's history or how the family has reacted. She may have dementia; I just doubt it's Alzheimer's. You can take my opinion for just what you paid for it.

• Like 3

2 months ago my wifes mom was wigged out badly     and i mean crazy         , she had a urinary tract infection  and once cleared up she settled down ,  i never knew that til then ,  

med changes ,  your brain is constantly changing  could need  to adjust some things ,  prayers for all 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:21 PM, RenoF250 said:

We have someone that has gone out of their mind - won't sleep, has conversations with people that aren't there, sees things, etc.  This happened fairly quickly and wondering what to do for them.  ER regular docs only fix physical problems and don't seem to be very helpful with mental issues.  This has happened before and they got over it but it was not this bad.

Tough to figure out what to do with the homeless that have this problem when you can't deal with it in regular insured people with family members trying to help.

You might want to investigate some Mental Health Facilities.  I know that Texas has several.  My wife used to work in one in Laredo, and occasionally San Antonio.  There are other State facilities.  Essentially, it is their job to have a psychiatrist evaluate them to determine the problem and the medication they need.  An ER doctor is ill equipped for this scenario.  It sounds like a classic case of schizophrenia.  With proper counseling and continued taking of medication, this can be solved.

19 hours ago, NPTim said:

Called “sundowning”

My paternal Grandfather had alzheimers.  My father and I cared for him as best we could, but he was still a strong wiry old man.  He didn't recognize his belittling wife, and wondered who the strange lady was that was yelling at him.  He was on the laid back side.  But, he would clock the strange verbally abusive German wife, and go stomping down the road.  Sadly, for both their sakes we had to send him to a VA hospital.  There were a lot of WWII Vets at that time.  An old Sargent was marching an invisible group of soldiers down the hallway.  Within a month of being there, my grandfather died.  I didn't think the lack of memory could kill you.  We went to see him, he was still strong as ever.  It makes me wonder if one of the nurses ended him, because it was pretty quick we had a funeral with the hole 21 gun salute and unfortunately TAPS.  He is buried in the military grounds on the military burial site on those grounds, so are my maternal grandparents.  My father was to be buried there as well.

• Like 1

Lack of memory can kill you... when your body forgets how to swallow and you choke, or it forgets how to breathe and you suffocate.  It's an odd way to think about it, since those activities aren't usually a part of conscious thought, but it is my understanding that the process is the same at the level of nerve cells.

• Like 1

Well-meaning friends of my folks would ask "How's your mother doing?" What was I supposed to say "She's going through living hell?" I'd say "Well, she's healthy." They'd say "Oh, that's a blessing!" No, no it wasn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2019 at 11:54 AM, OldDad said:

You are certainly right about denial. When my mother started showing signs of memory loss we desperately tried to ascribe her symptoms to normal aging. Even after ten years or more of decline, to the point of severe dementia, and after many support group meetings, professional presentations, etc., my dad said to me "You know, I don't know if your mother is going to get better." He was a very intelligent man and had been presented with all the facts and prognosis. Nevertheless, he held out hope that she would "get better."

The question here is Is this dementia or delirium. Dementia is permanent and progressive, delirium is temporary and can perhaps be treated. We don't know the patient's history or how the family has reacted. She may have dementia; I just doubt it's Alzheimer's. You can take my opinion for just what you paid for it.

Well she has been back home and gotten better.  Not seeing things anymore.  Still not totally right in the head but she never was IMHO.  Basically back on her progressive path down.  Problem is she has bad neck problem causing chronic pain which takes away most of her interest in continuing on and certainly hampers her movements.  Hospital would not order hospice because they thought she had more than 6 months.  She probably does but a bad bug would probably wipe her out.