Ahoy Matey

Zonny

My little Schnauzer girl Soffie, became a pirate dog today. :( She developed severe glaucoma in her right eye ( in a very short time BTW) and it had to be removed. Despite my topic title, I'm pretty upset about this. I'm sure she will get along just fine with one eye but she's just the sweetest thing and I hate seeing her disfigured :(

19B4EA78-9789-4D2D-9212-7F77FB89B021.jpeg

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

we had a one eyed cat  for awhile  and i got a friend with one eye and he still rides motorcycles .  

she will be fine .    lot better life then some chihuahuas we rescued this week  19  in a hoard situation , was told one mommy dog  has been crated  for 10 years  ,  the rest had broken jaws  or alot of problems, some did not know what grass was   and we do it all by donations to help heal and adopt ,  not many people know hua's are second most killed breed behind pits .

• Sad 2

My step-dad woke up blind in his right eye one day. He had a stroke that only affected that.

He's been like that for probably 10 years. They didn't remove the eye. He gets along just fine. I'm sure Soffie will too. She doesn't have to type, drive, or golf.  She may be a bit unsteady until she figures out depth perception and perspective. I'm sorry that happened to her.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, at least it is only one eye.  I remember on my deceased Grandfather's ranch they had a beloved dog that was completely blind, and starting to go deaf.  He got around by sniffing everything.

• Sad 1

My sympathies for your pup, Zonny. As noted, dogs adapt very well to such things so she'll probably do fine. Extra treats and hugs are in order, of course. ?

BTW, my dad, Chiggers Munn, lost his eye to rheumatic fever during the war and carried on for many years. He had some great fake eye stories.

• Like 4

Was the first name a nick name, or was it given at birth.  I am not trying to bag on him at all.  I had a Great Great Uncle on my father's side named, "O.K."  Why?  Because, when the doctor delivered him, he said, "He was Okay."  So, that is how he got his name.  Except for the Meyers Jewish influx it is pretty red neck  over there.  Most of my cousins could have made their own Jerry Springer episode. Each had a different dad, then tumultuous relationships, divorces, I lost track of the whole mess after a while.

That is the while version of a joke I was told years and years ago in a Spanish course, by a retired nun of all people.  She said, "There was a man called Any de Rev.  Can anyone tell me why?"

Apparently, it was traditional for Hispanic folks, back in day when the father gave the daily blessing, which is pretty much forever ago.  They would look at the calendar and whatever.  So whatever Santo was on the calendar, that was your name.  So, Any de Rev. was this guy's name.  It was short for Aniversario de Revolution.  It is enough of a cognate, I am guessing most of you got that. :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I know she'll be fine as far as vision loss goes. She only has to maneuver the house and the back-yard after-all. 

It's like I said, I hate having to disfigure that sweet face. I was not looking forward to the first contact when the tech brought her out from the kennel. :crying:

49CF1F03-7D7A-4594-89D3-82A637F6A46B.jpeg

Edited by Zonny
  • Thanks 3

I know it hurts when someone you love and is dependent on you, has something like this happen to them.  It feels like you didn't do enough somehow, to take care of them.  

Remember that in spite of everything, you are your dog's whole world and they love you like nothing and no one else.  Just hold them more, and make them feel like they are the most important thing in your world.  They respond to love and affection with more of the same.  This seems to be the miracle of having a critter in your family.

You still have one of the best blessings a family can get, a dog!  Nothing else matters, but this!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Moshe said:

Was the first name a nick name, or was it given at birth.  I am not trying to bag on him at all.  I had a Great Great Uncle on my father's side named, "O.K."  Why?  Because, when the doctor delivered him, he said, "He was Okay."  So, that is how he got his name.

I worked with a guy called "Buzz".  I always assumed it was a nickname from the famous astronaut.

I later found out that when he was a baby,  he crawled behind the couch and chewed on the lamp's power cord.  They called him Buzz ever since.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I worked with a guy called "Buzz".  I always assumed it was a nickname from the famous astronaut.

I later found out that when he was a baby,  he crawled behind the couch and chewed on the lamp's power cord.  They called him Buzz ever since.

I went to HS with a kid that did that. He had a nasty scar around the corner of his mouth. Poor bastage. tom.

• Sad 1

Dogs have a way of stoically facing life's changes without complaint or feeling sorry for themselves.  They have always been a part of my life and I believe they are one of God's most remarkable animals. They seem to face virtually any challenge head on - tuck away what they have learned - and go on as though nothing happened.  As others have said, just give Soffie a little extra love and she will take life in stride. She's cute as a bug in a rug. You are lucky to have each other.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Zonny said:

My little Schnauzer girl Soffie, became a pirate dog today. :( She developed severe glaucoma in her right eye ( in a very short time BTW) and it had to be removed. Despite my topic title, I'm pretty upset about this. I'm sure she will get along just fine with one eye but she's just the sweetest thing and I hate seeing her disfigured :(

19B4EA78-9789-4D2D-9212-7F77FB89B021.jpeg

She has a loving mother (you) and she loves you, that is the most important thing.    

• Thanks 2

Catallica's eyes are milky-white now (he's 150 in people-years), so I know he can't see now.  (No rabbits on our door-mat)

He seems to do just fine.

Dad had three-legged dogs that didn't even know it.

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 1