Dear professional liars and news readers, you don't know what trope means

tous

So stop using the word every three seconds.  :miff:

A trope is a literary device that can be a metaphor, simile, irony, basically a word or phrase that says something and means something else.

A young woman proclaiming, "I'll just die if I don't get invited to Mary's party," is a trope.

She's not really going to die.

Ilhan Omar stating, “I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay to push for allegiance to a foreign country,” is not a trope.  :shakefist:

Apparently, the professional liars and news readers never passed 8th grade English, or they did and just don't care as long as they appear erudite.

Now, I need a nap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, tous said:

A trope is a literary device that can be a metaphor, simile, irony, basically a word or phrase that says something and means something else.

A young woman proclaiming, "I'll just die if I don't get invited to Mary's party," is a trope.

Ilhan Omar stating, “I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay to push for allegiance to a foreign country,” is not a trope.  :shakefist:

Apparently, the professional liars and news readers never passed 8th grade English, or they did and just don't care as long as they appear erudite.

Now, I need a nap.

I think that they believe that if they sound smart, they will be perceived as smart.  The problem occurs when they are pretending to be smart, and then say something!

I knew a guy that believed that all highly intelligent people were erratic.  Therefore he tried to appear to be erratic, thinking people would believe he was highly intelligent.  Didn't work.

• Like 3

Note that my fist sentence, Stop using the word every three seconds, can be classified as a trope.  It's hyperbole.

One that really annoys me is the habit of young'uns to declare the most mundane occurrence as amazing.

What happens when they experience something that is truly astonishing?  Will they say, That's amazing? when they said the same thing about the latest cat video viewed on their damned device?

Yes, words can evolve to a different meaning over time and with cultural changes.

Gay used to mean happy and care free.

Now. it means homosexual.

I guess I'm a curmudgeon, but I respect precision and condemn sloppy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tous said:

Note that my fist sentence, Stop using the word every three seconds, can be classified as a trope.  It's hyperbole.

One that really annoys me is the habit of young'uns to declare the most mundane occurrence as amazing.

What happens when they experience something that is truly astonishing?  Will they say, That's amazing? when they said the same thing about the latest cat video viewed on their damned device?

Yes, words can evolve to a different meaning over time and with cultural changes.

That's awesome!

:couch:

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

I knew a guy that believed that all highly intelligent people were erratic.  Therefore he tried to appear to be erratic, thinking people would believe he was highly intelligent.  Didn't work.

Augh, the Conan demographic.  The people that came along after they heard that Conan had a smart audience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tous said:

They then flip to phenomenal.  I worked with someone who overused that word as well and it almost drove me insane (is that a trope?).

• Like 2

trope
[trōp]
NOUN
  1. a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
    "he used the two-Americas trope to explain how a nation free and democratic at home could act wantonly abroad"
VERB
  1. create a trope.

A literary trope is the use of figurative language, via word, phrase or an image, for artistic effect such as using a figure of speech. The word trope has also come to be used for describing commonly recurring literary and rhetorical devices, motifs or clichés in creative works.

san tropez

Saint-Tropez. Saint-Tropez is a Provençal town, 104 km to the east of Marseille, in the Var department of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region of southeastern France. It is also the principal town in the canton of Saint-Tropez. Saint-Tropez is located on the French Riviera.

Psst..hey tous

Mercy has decided.....to be an engineer. (And not the Locomotive kind)

Purdue has an extension campus 25 miles from us. With a disabled vet for an old man, she has free tuition for four years.

I’ll just die if she goes there....(Old IU guy)

thats a trope

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 5:44 PM, Dric902 said:

Psst..hey tous

Mercy has decided.....to be an engineer. (And not the Locomotive kind)

Purdue has an extension campus 25 miles from us. With a disabled vet for an old man, she has free tuition for four years.

I’ll just die if she goes there....(Old IU guy)

thats a trope

Remind her that if she works hard, she can be on the first manned flight to Mars.

Oh, and also remind her to not smack spiders with her slide rule.

It makes them all icky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, tous said:

Now, I need a nap.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trope

Just for you Tous.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tous said:

Remind her that if she works hard, she can be on the first manned flight to Mars.

Oh, and also remind her to not smack spiders with her slide rule.

It makes them all icky.

Sounds like VoE

(Voice of Experience)

how about flies?

Edited by Dric902

4 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Sounds like VoE

(Voice of Experience)

how about flies?

Ask aircarver, he's the one that dispatches arachnids and assorted insects with his personal calculating device.

I think he likes his slide rules icky.

• Like 1

I suspect many if not most aren’t... happy and carefree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They then flip to phenomenal.  I worked with someone who overused that word as well and it almost drove me insane (is that a trope?).

The word “unique” has largely lost its true meaning because people continue to modify it with “very” or “most” and the like. This destructive process could be shortcut by going to “unique”, “uniquer”, and “uniquist”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have a theory that "amazing" is popular because it is non-specific and non-committal. It suggests that the subject is very good, but can be later explained as whatever the user wants, allowing the user freedom to backtrack or redact.

"Your new outfit is amazing."
Later...
"It was hideous."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1