I have a bone to pick with Mexican beans

tous

Frijoles are pinto beans boiled until they are soft and then served after adding spices.

All good so far.

Frijoles refritos, refried beans, are prepared by taking your frijoles, mashing them into a paste and then frying them in a skillet with some oil or lard.

Both are good, tasty food.

However, why are the called refried beans?  That implies that the beans had been fried before and then are fried again: refried, when in fact, they are only fried once..

I want truth in naming food, dang it.

:shakefist:

Now, I suppose I'm in trouble with the vegans for mentioning bones that are picked, thus, innocent, cute animals died.

What are we supposed to say, I have a leaf to pick with you?

I don't care.

Note that I didn't get my nap today, so I am a curmudgeon high.

Edited by tous
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, tous said:

Frijoles are pinto beans boiled until they are soft and then served after adding spices.

All good so far.

Frijoles refritos, refried beans, are prepared by taking your frijoles, mashing them into a paste and then frying them in a skillet with some oil or lard.

Both are good, tasty food.

However, why are the called refried beans?  That implies that the beans had been fried before and then are fried again: refried, when in fact, they are only fried once..

I want truth in naming food, dang it.

:shakefist:

Now, I suppose I'm in trouble with the vegans for mentioning bones that are picked, thus, innocent, cute animals died.

What are we supposed to say, I have a leaf to pick with you?

I don't care.

Note that i didn't get my nap today, so I am a curmudgeon high.

Refrito means" rehashed or recooked" . The beans are boiled until soft and then mashed. When served they may be fried. Or to confuse even more refried. It is a matter of translating to English. Don't fret just have some Chili Verde with a side of refritos. Good!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Refrier, the verb that refrito derives from, means refried, that is fried again, implying it has been fried before.

Frito means fried.

Which makes sense: Fritos are fried corn chips.

Just fried the one time.

Not called Refritos.

:biggrin:

Now I have a hankering for some really good chili rellenos with frijoles refritos and arroz:eat:

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

I don't care what they are called, I just love the after effects.  But those around me probably don't.

Yup - you can sure tell who your friends are after a big meal of refried beans. :599c64828c137_outtahere:

Edited by Citra47
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

If you want to cut down the tooting properties of the frijoles, soak, discard the soaking water, then cook as usual with about a 4" x 4" piece of kombu.

Why would you want to do that? That’s the best part and you want to get rid of it.  That’s like saying let’s get married but not have sex. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Being old, irascible and slightly bored, I did some research.

One would think that frying anything is a sin in French cuisine and refrying is a mortal sin,

Yes, they have les pomme frite, French fries, but that is for the tourists and the Germans, not found on a haute cuisine menu.

I imagine a true Frenchman would never consider actually eating a bean (le haricot,) much less smashing them up and frying them.

And knowing how anal they are about foreign words corrupting their language, I was surprised that, yes, there is a French term for refried beans, you know, the beans that are only fried once:

des haricots frits.

They do recognize that you only fry the danged beans once.

There is a term  refait, I saw on some menus for Spanish or Mexican fare,, but the word refait means to make again, not to fry again.

I can assure you, however, that the French are just as flatulent as us bean eaters.

I need nap.

Someone stop me before I get to Finnish.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• tous changed the title to I have a bone to pick with Mexican beans