Rat Poison

bdicki

In a disturbing trend it seems that hunters in the northeast are carrying rat poison in their packs. The poison is being mixed into the gut piles and left for what I assume is for the coyotes . Neighbors dog died from poison. I'm not letting the dog run while we're here at our summer house.

8 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i used to hunt and camp in N,W MA,NH,VT,ME and western NY state i don`t remember Coyotes being a big problem there.

but randomly poisoning is a truly stupid thing to do and people like that don`t need a reason.

The other day the wife and I were doing some yard work. We have several apple trees and the golden delicious tree was dropping fruit. A coyote came and took an apple and ran back into the woods. It came back and just laid down and proceeded to eat several apples no more than 20 yards from us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bdicki said:

The other day the wife and I were doing some yard work. We have several apple trees and the golden delicious tree was dropping fruit. A coyote came and took an apple and ran back into the woods. It came back and just laid down and proceeded to eat several apples no more than 20 yards from us.

aaawww,you made a friend!

what is the season on Coyotes where you`r from?

8 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

aaawww,you made a friend!

what is the season on Coyotes where you`r from?

The season is closed in the summer months in Massachusetts, open all year in Vermont. I'm a Florida resident but spend summers in northwestern Massachusetts a mile or so from the Vermont boarder. After this weekend we'll see how the house in central Florida holds up. I may be wintering up north this year. I could have shot the coyote but chose not to. Most people shoot on sight here.

On 9/8/2017 at 6:44 AM, bdicki said:

The season is closed in the summer months in Massachusetts, open all year in Vermont. I'm a Florida resident but spend summers in northwestern Massachusetts a mile or so from the Vermont boarder. After this weekend we'll see how the house in central Florida holds up. I may be wintering up north this year. I could have shot the coyote but chose not to. Most people shoot on sight here.

Good luck with the Florida house,I have`nt lived in Boston for years and only recollections i have of Coyote were on a friends Dairy farm in White Mnts

Coyotes coming that close is not a good thing.

we have tons of Urban Coyotes here and most people don`t understand healthy Coyotes avoid people at all cost.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/8/2017 at 1:47 PM, pipedreams said:

That pretty well covers it.  Warfarin should be fed to the person placing it.

Actually, it's a popular blood thinner for heart patients. Ever heard of Coumadin ?

Edited by Danoobie
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/6/2017 at 10:20 AM, bdicki said:

In a disturbing trend it seems that hunters in the northeast are carrying rat poison in their packs. The poison is being mixed into the gut piles and left for what I assume is for the coyotes . Neighbors dog died from poison. I'm not letting the dog run while we're here at our summer house.

They can't see beyond the moment, and their own petty world. Coyotes are bad, but they can be shot, and that would spare peoples pets from dying.

On 9/6/2017 at 11:20 AM, minervadoe said:

Bad juju using warfarin in an uncontrolled manner like that.  

It's not just dogs, but owls, hawks, crows, and any scavenger/predator in the food chain looking for a high protein free bee.  

That is a stupid stunt if there ever was one, and there are more ways of spiking the guts left over. Boric acid would really tear up an animal, if they ate it; and all that it takes is sprinkling it on.

Edited by Suspect Unknown

• 1 month later...

In Wyoming over 20,000 coyotes are taken by Federal Hunters mostly aerial gunners. Bounty Hunter, Trappers and varmint shooters take many 1,000 more. The Coyote is some what easy prey for a Long Range rifleman. The unprotected critter that I prefer is the Big Arctic Grey Wolf. 

wyoming wolf.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/8/2017 at 12:47 PM, pipedreams said:

That pretty well covers it.  Warfarin should be fed to the person placing it.

Actually might be, as in controlled doses it is used to reduce risk of blood clots in humans. Which in no way justifies placing it indiscriminately in the wild. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1