Old Pictures

Eric

On 12/29/2020 at 8:08 AM, Swampfox762 said:

133594121_10218978337632102_3848211127012123438_o.jpg

Worn out (from continuous sharpening) hand saw blades were valued as a source of good steel for scraper and cabinet scraper blades. 

Wood Scrapers were used to make extremely smooth and flat surfaces by shaving the surface and not abraiding it, as sandpaper came about many, many years later.  it's how tables and cabinets from the 1500/1600, and on, were so flat and smooth.  Usually followed by French Polish.

I love using scrapers on high quality hardwood.  It shaves the surface so cleanly that the wood pores are cut cleanly and completely open.  Sand paper clogs the wood pores with wood dust and "muddies" the look of the surface.

Shapers have the advantage that they don't produce and dust in the air like sanding, so allergy problems are abaited.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, janice6 said:

Worn out (from continuous sharpening) hand saw blades were valued as a source of good steel for scraper and cabinet scraper blades. 

Wood Scrapers were used to make extremely smooth and flat surfaces by shaving the surface and not abraiding it, as sandpaper came about many, many years later.  it's how tables and cabinets from the 1500/1600, and on, were so flat and smooth.  Usually followed by French Polish.

I love using scrapers on high quality hardwood.  It shaves the surface so cleanly that the wood pores are cut cleanly and completely open.  Sand paper clogs the wood pores with wood dust and "muddies" the look of the surface.

Shapers have the advantage that they don't produce and dust in the air like sanding, so allergy problems are abaited.

My younger brother is quite skilled in wood work and I have seen him use a piece if glass as a scraper to get a smooth surface.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 10:25 AM, Swampfox762 said:

101198790_144510677190075_7811838113130479616_n.jpg

August Landmesser ([ˈaʊ̯ɡʊst ˈlantˌmɛsɐ]; 24 May 1910 – 17 October 1944) was a worker at the Blohm+Voss shipyard in Hamburg, Germany.] He became known as the possible identity of a man appearing in a 1936 photograph, conspicuously refusing to perform the Nazi salute with the other workers.[2][3] Landmesser had run afoul of the Nazi Party over his unlawful relationship with Irma Eckler, a Jewish woman. Later, he was imprisoned and eventually, he was drafted into penal military service, where he was killed in action.

Increasingly, historians are siding with another family's claims that the man is Gustav Wegert (1890–1959), a metalworker at Blohm+Voss who habitually refused to salute on religious grounds. They have presented documentation of Wegert's employment at Blohm+Voss at that time which advocates take as stronger evidence, as well as family photographs that better resemble the man in the famous photograph, as evidence.

A photograph taken on 13 June 1936.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

A young John Glenn poses next to the tail of his damaged F-9 Panther. His aircraft was hit with more than 700 pieces of shrapnel, earning him the nickname "Magnet Ass" from his fellow fighter pilots.

And for my second act:  I'm going to the moon.

Why..because...i can.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Interestingly the other flag is British not Canadian. 

The new maple leaf flag was made official by a proclamation from Queen Elizabeth II on January 28, 1965. On February 15 of that year, it was inaugurated in a public ceremony on Parliament Hill.  They had different forms of flags throughout their history.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/flag-canada-history.html

Edited by pipedreams

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Stunningly attractive couple. 

I've always been fascinated by there history and culture. 

Got to do a sweat lodge once.  The guy who held the event was a full on Apache.

I could listen to him talk about his people for hours.

Edited by Historian