Old Pictures

Eric

"The 369th Infantry Regiment served on the front lines for 191 days during World War I, longer than any other American unit. In that time, the Soldiers of the regiment, known as the "Harlem Hellfighters," never gave up any ground they captured.

(Photo Credit: National Archives)"

6c721e890d117b7b.jpg?1597358212

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/13/2020 at 7:09 PM, pipedreams said:

"The 369th Infantry Regiment served on the front lines for 191 days during World War I, longer than any other American unit. In that time, the Soldiers of the regiment, known as the "Harlem Hellfighters," never gave up any ground they captured.

(Photo Credit: National Archives)"

Talk about legends.  Some serious hard men.

Yet...in some places they were asked to sit at the back of the buss or buy and go...

Not sure how you can say that to anyone who services his country. But some did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Talk about legends.  Some serious hard men.

Yet...in some places they were asked to sit at the back of the buss or buy and go...

Not sure how you can say that to anyone who services his country. But some did.

It has ever been thus... Not just Negros, but Irish, Italians, American Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish speaking, French speaking... Any and all who fall into “other” groupings...

And not only by Americans. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

It has ever been thus... Not just Negros, but Irish, Italians, American Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish speaking, French speaking... Any and all who fall into “other” groupings...

And not only by Americans. 

Tell me about it.  Im three of those.  Some indian, 50 percent french, and certainly Catholic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Table boy, ice cream parlor in Birmingham, Alabama, ca 1914, colorized.

4d0d653b3788cd15.jpg?1597497046

In the early 60's the wife and I went to Spicer Minnesota and downtown in the drug store they had an old soda fountain set up with the wire "sweetheart" chairs and little tables.  They sold Lemon and lime Phosphates,  The first "soda pops".

The city was also DRY.  IIRC, it was the only dry city in Minnesota at that time.

• Like 1