Old Pictures

Eric

John Philip Sousa was born in Washington, D.C. on Nov. 6, 1854. Portuguese parents and his mother was Bavarian. Sousa, known as the "March King," ranks among the most famous American composers and conductors. On December 25, 1896, he composed The Stars and Stripes Forever, the official march of the United States of America.

8eb18b07139c1192.jpg?1597813098

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2020 at 12:50 PM, janice6 said:

So many nights spent as a kid with my family with the lights out just watching the dial light on the radio listening to one show after another. 

The radio had a slight hum from the transformer, the pilot light was yellow and seemed to radiate warmth.  The connection to your family gathered with you was amazing.

Mr. Keane, The tracer of lost persons, The Squeaking Door, Sam Spade, Sargent Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show), Amos and Andy, so many others.

People have asked me, "What did you do while listening to the radio?".

We listened to the story and our minds provided the picture, we simply looked at the radio without seeing it.  To the listener, it was like you were in the station audience watching the actors go through their lines in front of the big floor mic.

It was a glorious time to be alive.

Days with radio are wonderful. Nights with radio are even better.

Long live King radio.

I listen to a lot of shortwave international, ham radio and regular radio.   Even rebuild old vintage radios for fun.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

John Philip Sousa was born in Washington, D.C. on Nov. 6, 1854. Portuguese parents and his mother was Bavarian. Sousa, known as the "March King," ranks among the most famous American composers and conductors. On December 25, 1896, he composed The Stars and Stripes Forever, the official march of the United States of America.

8eb18b07139c1192.jpg?1597813098

Dang...I would think that might be worth some money!  But, Nope.  20-25 cents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

After spending more than five years in a North Vietnamese camp, Lt. Col. Robert L. Stirm is reunited with his family at Travis AFB, March 13, 1973. "Burst of Joy" is a Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph by Associated Press photographer Slava “Sal” Veder.

7c4cdd536f18fccb.png?1597559468

I remember that picture.  I also remember these pictures of Commander Richard Stratton.  Dick lived next door to us at Offutt AFB in Omaha. I remember I drew a T-Shirt for him with "Rat Fink of the Missouri" on it.  Some of you older people will remember him too.  He's still alive at 88.  Amazing man... He was on the cover of life Magazine and also on Christmas Stickers...I even still have one...

Richard A Stratton - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Unknown - Lt. Commander Richard Stratton, North Vietnamese - Catawiki

Dick Stratton.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I remember that picture.  I also remember these pictures of Commander Richard Stratton.  Dick lived next door to us at Offutt AFB in Omaha. I remember I drew a T-Shirt for him with "Rat Fink of the Missouri" on it.  Some of you older people will remember him too.  He's still alive at 88.  Amazing man... He was on the cover of life Magazine and also on Christmas Stickers...I even still have one...

Richard A Stratton - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Unknown - Lt. Commander Richard Stratton, North Vietnamese - Catawiki

Dick Stratton.jpg

Sadly, in spite of our best intentions, we always forget. 

We are being "trained to forget".

Lately we have a very short attention span. 

Just think of 9/11, and then  listen to the praise given for the illegals in our country from the Middle East, today.............:cry:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

c04f97e2e1b045a8.jpg?1597574912

Something didn't seem right about this.   I've seen this photo many times in different places.   So i went on a hunt to see if i could find an answer. 

Part of what made me think about this was the negative scratch. 

Well...scratched negatives actually allow more light in and show as dark spots rather than white. 

The location is not really a mystery.  You can read about it in the link bellow.  And i knew that was a known location.

So i found what i think is a great source of information.  The World Holocaust Remembrance Center.

Members of the Reicharbeitsdienst (Reich Labor Service) and the SS watch as an SS man shoots a Jew in Vinnitsa, Ukraine, in July 1941, on the edge of a killing pit.  In the initial months of the occupation, thousands of Jews from Vinnitsa were murdered.

https://www.yadvashem.org/holocaust/this-month/july/1941-3.html

It also got me looking at Stalin order number 428.  He did in fact issue an order to destroy and deprive Germans of anything left behind as they advanced.   However, 428 as presented seems to be a fraud according to a number of sources.   The telling part is in 428 Stalin doesn't say to wear German uniforms and commit crimes.  This has been proven.

German historians Christian Hartmann and Jürgen Zarusky have written extensively about this Order №0428 in Vierteljahrshefte für Zeitgeschichtein October 2000 issue (page 667), and have proven that the actual Order signed by Stalin and Shaposhnikov doesn’t mention anything of the sort; nor does the copy kept in the US National Archives. The fake version of the Order was made up, as it seems, by another German historian, Fritz Bekker, in 1995, since it (the ‘SS uniform, etc’ version) is first mentioned in his book (Becker Fritz: “Stalins Blutspur durch Europa: Partner des Westens 1933-1945”. Kiel: Arndt-Verlag, 1995. S. 268).

Just some thoughts...that photo presented with six points above is being presented falsely by whoever photoshopped it. The more i look at it the more i can refute all six points.

This is bad history.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1