Old Pictures

Eric

I thought that I posted this but can't find it so here it is. Lake City is right on the crossroad of I-10 and I-75. Lake City has had a label of "Gateway To Florida" as long as I can remember. The city I grew up in, Live Oak is 25 miles away. Live Oak, (Suwannee County) and Lake City, (Columbia County) have had a fierce HS football rivalry as long as there have been football games between the two cities. I remember one game in particular where the game was in Live Oak and insults were thrown around along with rocks at school buses and after the game there was a huge brawl at the ABC liquor store in Lake City. I wasn't in the fight, but 'ALLEGEDLY' some people 'I was associated with' would wait in the parking lot and as the police would bring out Live Oakians and put them in the cars we, somebody would let them back out. Only one Live Oakian went to jail that night compared to quite a few from Lake City. Unfortunately, one Police officer was hurt that night and ended up going to the hospital, not life threatening but not good. There was a much increased police presence at football games after that.

Welcome Sign To The City of Lake City, FL - 1925

Welcome Sign To The City of Lake City, FL - 1925.png

• Like 3

21 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Took a ticketed ride on the Suwannee River on a small river boat lookalike. That water was almost black from tannin from the oak leaves. 

It amazes people how the Suwannee looks like tea. Even where the springs enter the river it still has a dark tannin tint to it. These pictures were taken at Suwannee Springs near Luraville. Our dogs, Doobie and Solomon loved going to the river.

Solomon & Doobie - Suwannee Springs - 8.5.07 - 3.jpg

Solomon & Doobie - Suwannee Springs - 8.5.07 - 2.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, Schmidt Meister said:

Construction on the Berlin Wall. 1961.

00 Construction Of The Berlin Wall - 1961.jpg

We brought a bunch of the wall home when it came down. What was cool was the junk the builders left in the wall. Newspapers they wrapped their lunch in. Bottles and caps. Broken tools and car parts. Anything they could use as fill in the places the wall was double walled with a space in between to be used as a thick barrier to stop impacts from cars and such. Bits of their lunches like half eaten sandwiches. The lime in the mortar dehydrated and preserved the food. 

• Like 5

On 12/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, Schmidt Meister said:

'Sweet thangs' riding in the back of a Datsun pickup in 1972 on Van Nuys Blvd.

Old School - Girls Riding In The Back Of A  Datsun Truck - Van Nuys Blvd - 1972.jpg

My brother was hospitalized a lot in his last years, and his wife sat with him much of the time. She and I were quietly amused how he perked up when a SYT nurse came into the room. Sweet Young Thing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1