Old Pictures

Eric

A great woman erased from history by idiots.
The branding of the syrup was a tribute to this woman’s gifts and talents. Now future generations will not even know this beautiful woman existed. What a shame. The world knew her as “Aunt Jemima”, but her given name was Nancy Green and she was a true American success story. She was born a slave in 1834 Montgomery County, KY. and became a wealthy superstar in the advertising world, as its first living trademark. Green was 56-yrs old when she was selected as spokesperson for a new ready-mixed, self-rising pancake flour and made her debut in 1893 at a fair and exposition in Chicago.

This was a remarkable woman, and sadly she has been ERASED by politics. I wanted you to know and remind you in this cancel culture time period.

6350f44baac9bcb5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, pipedreams said:

A great woman erased from history by idiots.
The branding of the syrup was a tribute to this woman’s gifts and talents. Now future generations will not even know this beautiful woman existed. What a shame. The world knew her as “Aunt Jemima”, but her given name was Nancy Green and she was a true American success story. She was born a slave in 1834 Montgomery County, KY. and became a wealthy superstar in the advertising world, as its first living trademark. Green was 56-yrs old when she was selected as spokesperson for a new ready-mixed, self-rising pancake flour and made her debut in 1893 at a fair and exposition in Chicago.

This was a remarkable woman, and sadly she has been ERASED by politics. I wanted you to know and remind you in this cancel culture time period.

6350f44baac9bcb5.jpeg

Love the woman and the photo but I JUST HATE it when people circle stuff in photos especially in old photos. How easy would it have been for the person who screwed up this photo to make a notation at the bottom saying, "Nancy Green is the only black woman in this photo, wearing a plaid dress with a white apron."

PS: And I know it wasn't you Pipe, no offence intended.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Vehicle crossing a creek on a pole bridge built by Warren Spruce Company. In Oregon, circa 1918. By Military and Civilian Loggers during WWI.

Vehicle Crossing Creek On Pole Bridge - Built By Warren Spruce Company - Oregon - Circa 1918 - Military And Civilian Loggers - WWI.jpg

Have seen several pictures of poles used instead of steel rails. All had double flanged wheels such as these. Have never seen a switch in such track. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Have seen several pictures of poles used instead of steel rails. All had double flanged wheels such as these. Have never seen a switch in such track. 

Neither have I. I don't know how they handled that situation. I will keep my eyes open. I'm going through a lot of old pictures on a friends personal site right now with a lot of old railroading pictures.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Neither have I. I don't know how they handled that situation. I will keep my eyes open. I'm going through a lot of old pictures on a friends personal site right now with a lot of old railroading pictures.

A stub switch could have been used - maybe. The frog - where rails cross - would have been problematic. Throwing the switch - bending the rails - would have been challenging with poles. 

2A420DDA-302F-4BD2-84B2-1721F6D07682.jpeg

• Like 2

Became curious about the Edison electric car picture and its text, specifically the comment about a sodium ion battery. Found this which doesn’t mention that type battery.

https://www.prewarcar.com/edison-s-electric-cars

Other sources suggested that a sodium ion battery might compete effectively with lithium ion battery at some point.

Oh well…

• Like 2