Old Pictures

Eric

On 9/14/2022 at 12:34 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

My wife , who is from CA, thought it was hilarious that around here, north FL, called what she called a 'tow truck' a wrecker. People around here that I grew up with always called them 'wreckers' and it wasn't until I was probably around 18 and had left FL during my Army days that I first heard one referred to as a 'tow truck'.

The wrecker/tow truck was invented in 1916 by Ernest Holmes, Sr., (1883-1945), of Chattanooga, Tennessee, a garage worker inspired after needing blocks, ropes, and six men to pull a car out of a creek. Upon improving his design he began manufacturing them commercially.
By 1919 Ernest Holmes Sr., whose brother Curtis owned a service station, had secured a patent and was selling branded wreckers, which were mounted on the backs of used cars.

Holmes Wreckers:Tow Trucks - 1.jpg

Holmes Wreckers:Tow Trucks - 2.jpg

Holmes Wreckers:Tow Trucks - 3.jpg

Museum in Chattanooga…

https://internationaltowingmuseum.org/

• Like 3

Wanada Parker Page (1882-1970)
She was born in 1882 in Indian Territory. Her Indian name was Woon-ardy Parker. "Woon-ardy" in Comanche means "Stand Up and Be Strong," because she was weak in the limbs and had to walk on crutches for a long time. Mrs. Page had also been given her mother's name, Weckeah.
She attended Chilocco Indian School, then in 1894 was sent to Carlisle Indian School, Pa. where she remained several years with her half-brother Harold (oldest of Quanah's sons) and her half-sister Neda.
At Carlisle, her name was spelled at first "Juanada" until it was objected that she was not Mexican or Spanish. She was baptized under the name of "Annie" in 1895 at St. John's Episcopal Church in Carlisle, but nobody called her that.
Wanada attended the Fort Sill Indian School for about a year, about 1903, living in a girl's frame dormitory.
In 1908 she married Walter Komah, a Comanche. They went to Mescalero, N.M., where he died of tuberculosis in 1912. Wanada returned to Lawton shortly after that. She worked at Fort Sill Indian School as assistant matron while her sister Alice was a student.

58aed79ebdfec16e.jpeg

• Like 3