Trains

Eric

8 hours ago, deputy tom said:

There is an H at the end of Pittsburgh. I knew one of the Operators of one of those inclines and the Engineer of the rebuild of the other one. One is the Mon incline, the other is the Duquesne incline. Another friend of mine rode the one from the Hill District near the Civic Arena down to the are near the Strip DIstrict. His father had a horse drawn produce wagon and watered the horses down where they stored the Police horses back in the day. If you should come to Pittsburgh, please ride one of the inclines. It's great fun. tom.

One of them - I can’t now remember which one - has a great museum. For two quarters in a turnstile one can watch the mechanism on operation, see the service setup, read postings about the history.

Looked again at the pictures I took. The Duquesne incline is the one with the museum. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, railfancwb said:

One of them - I can’t now remember which one - has a great museum. For two quarters in a turnstile one can watch the mechanism on operation, see the service setup, read postings about the history.

Looked again at the pictures I took. The Duquesne incline is the one with the museum. 

Yes, The Monongahela is owned and operated by the Port Authority of Allegheny County. The Duquesne is the one maintained and operated by a private group and has the museum on the top landing. tom.

In the early 1960s L&N Railroad, owner of the famed General locomotive, removed it from a display in a Chattanooga railroad station and had it refurbished to running condition. They paired the locomotive with old passenger cars (also refurbished) and hauled them around their system. Periodically they stopped, unloaded the locomotive, its tender, and the passenger cars, thereafter operating the set.

All good things come to an end. The General now resides in a purpose built museum facility in Kennesaw GA near where it was stolen. 

50B1B592-05C2-48B9-904C-A50F99A9A04B.jpeg

• Like 1

After the storied chase, the General was finally captured by the Texas. That locomotive resided for years in the basement of a building which held a famous Cyclorama depicting the Battle of Atlanta. In 2015 it was removed and sent to Spencer NC for cosmetic restoration. It is now displayed in a special built museum. 

29B2853E-D06F-4E13-9422-0395708DBBC2.jpeg

060BCBA2-C0FC-406B-B850-9A19CC6995C7.jpeg

• Like 1