Lever Action Rifles

Doc McGlock

If your heart isn't absolutely set on .357, just find a used win 94 in 30-30. I still see them at the local shops under $500 in good shape.

I'd love a lever in .38sp/.357, but aside from the extra capacity, the 94 will do everything else better with the 30-30 round.

17 hours ago, ROB said:

If your heart isn't absolutely set on .357, just find a used win 94 in 30-30. I still see them at the local shops under $500 in good shape.

I'd love a lever in .38sp/.357, but aside from the extra capacity, the 94 will do everything else better with the 30-30 round.

Rob,

Initially, for my first lever, I want it in .357 mainly because I don't want/need another caliber to buy!  I already have at least 8 different calibers and have the dies and setup for .357 and .38.  There are Marlins at Academy Sports running 30-30 for around $450.  I'm not a hunter and just want a toy!  Thanks.

• Like 1

I would not be able to hunt deer with a .30-30 or any other necked cartridge where I am at. They changed the rules to straight-walled cartridges which are maximum 1.8" in case length and .35 caliber. That means I'm good to go with either of my lever guns in .357 or .44 mag. 

Winchester 94 AE 44mag.  Great little rifle and makes a great deer getter out to 150 yards or so.  

94.jpg

Also have a Henry 22lr lever.  It's a fun little rifle and the tube loading never really bothered me.   To be honest, it's a lot easier to load the tube mag on a cold day then pushing rounds through the side gate.  

Edited by Wishoot
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wishoot said:

Thanks!  Got it for a song a few years back and have enjoyed it ever since.

*I edited my post above, because I had completely forgotten about my Henry lever rifle.  

I like the straight grip versus a pistol grip. What kind of peep sight is that?

Edited by KBKEITH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

I like the straight grip versus a pistol grip. What kind of peep sight is that?

Williams Peep Sight.  I could probably do better with something else, but it's much better than the iron sights that came with the rifle.  

• Like 1

I have an older Marlin 336 in 30-30, the gun is just a perfect fit for me. I've never had a rifle that feels so natural.  I'd love to find a .357 but they are scarce as hen's teeth around here, and hideously expensive when you do find one.  They are the beautiful, iconic rifles of America.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldCop71 said:

I have an older Marlin 336 in 30-30, the gun is just a perfect fit for me. I've never had a rifle that feels so natural.  I'd love to find a .357 but they are scarce as hen's teeth around here, and hideously expensive when you do find one.  They are the beautiful, iconic rifles of America.

You can find a Henry and a Uberti in .357 pretty easily. Finding a Marlin is a completely different story.

• Like 1

My Uberti came in last weekend!   Haven't had a chance to go out to the range with it yet!  :$

I'll post a few pictures when I figure out how to!   Yikes,  I'm technically challenged and I'm the unofficial tech guy in theMcGlock household! 

Wishoot........ for the love of all things good,  how many guns do you have that you've "Forgotten your Henry? .........and I thought my memory was slowing down!  :Alex:

Edited by Doc McGlock
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Doc McGlock said:

Any suggestions for range ammo?   I will eventually reload once I've shot it a bunch but i am curious what might be the proverbial best

" bang for the buck? "

I have a lot of this on hand. Pretty cheap at ~$17 for 50 rounds. Works well in my Henry. 

IMG_5798.JPG

Edited by KBKEITH
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Doc McGlock said:

Wishoot........ for the love of all things good,  how many guns do you have that you've "Forgotten your Henry? .........and I thought my memory was slowing down!  :Alex:

:) My wife would say that I have too many.  

Now that my kids are older and involved in non-stop high school and collegiate activities, the Henry 001 doesn't get much range time.  I'm meeting a friend at the range today and may bring it out for some fun.  

The loading tube on the Henry doesn't bother me one bit.  In fact when the weather is cold and my fingers are freezing, I find the tube much easier to load than a side loading gate.  

• Like 2

KB,

I was looking at PPU at SGAmmo just yesterday and it runs around $360/1000 shipped and was wondering about it as its a lot less than others. 

I was watching a video were the shooter was having trouble with some ammo feeding/ cycling and he switched to magtech flatnose and it cycled much better. 

I didnt want to buy a case until I tried it our heard from others.  I have dies for my Dillon in .357 and will start to reload after I collect some cases. 

2 hours ago, Doc McGlock said:

KB,

I was looking at PPU at SGAmmo just yesterday and it runs around $360/1000 shipped and was wondering about it as its a lot less than others. 

I was watching a video were the shooter was having trouble with some ammo feeding/ cycling and he switched to magtech flatnose and it cycled much better. 

I didnt want to buy a case until I tried it our heard from others.  I have dies for my Dillon in .357 and will start to reload after I collect some cases. 

I've actually had good luck with it so far in my Henry. My Uberti is a .44 mag and it will eat PPU ammo without issue as well. (JHP)

3 hours ago, Doc McGlock said:

Do you ever shoot 44 special in your Uberti? 

I ordered 1000 rounds of the PPU .357mag and 500 38 spec.

That should hold me for a while. 

I do have some .44 special on hand but I have not tried it through the Uberti yet. The funny part about .44 special is that it seems every bit as expensive as .44 mag. 

I like the sound of your ammo purchase. It should work well for you. If not you can sell it to me. :crylikeender:

Good luck!

Ammo prices were a part of the equation with .357 vs .44.  .357 runs about .32/per with the cheaper ammo vs .46/per in .44.   I plan on reloading this caliber so I need some brass to get started with.  This will get along well with my GP100.  It seems to eat anything I feed it. 

45 minutes ago, Doc McGlock said:

Ammo prices were a part of the equation with .357 vs .44.  .357 runs about .32/per with the cheaper ammo vs .46/per in .44.   I plan on reloading this caliber so I need some brass to get started with.  This will get along well with my GP100.  It seems to eat anything I feed it. 

All I reload right now is .357 and .44 mag. for obvious reasons. :D

• Thanks 1