Lever Action Rifles

Doc McGlock

I'm smitten................ anyone care to school me in Lever Actions?  I'm not interested in a safe queen, but rather something that I can shoot and shoot......... and shoot!  I've settled in on the .357 caliber and realize they are not as prevalent!  I also have not aspirations for competition, just a reliable, quality shooter that will be around for a while!

Also, realistic price ranges, under 1300.  Thanks!

Edited by Doc McGlock
learning site nuances

Uberti makes a very nice quality 1873 replica. I have one chambered in .44 mag, and they do make one in .357. It's a beauty and it shoots and functions perfectly. I believe I paid about $940-ish less than a year ago.

Edited by KBKEITH
  • Like 1

One more for you. I also have a Henry Big Boy carbine chambered in .357. It's also a nice rifle that shoots well. I have the octagon barrel with the brass receiver. The only thing I don't like is the tube magazine. I prefer a loading gate like the Uberti has. I paid in the $600 range for the Henry.

• Like 2

I've owned several.  Probably my favorite is a Winchester 94 in 30-30 - about 1944 vintage.  Not much bluing left, but it's a shooter.   Recently bought a Rossi 92 lever in 45 colt.  Love how short and quick it is.  Don't know what it is about lever actions - probably feel like a cowboy shootin' one.  :D

• Like 2

If I wanted a .357 I would look for a nice Rossi 1892; unless I had a money tree, then there are some other options.

One of my coworkers bought a Rossi .357, watched some YouTube videos and slicked it up and it came out real nice, first time he ever touched a tool to a gun.

• Like 1

I found a nice Mossberg 464 in 30-30.  It's been a great shooter.

I'd like to get a lever 357Mag as well; but the prices seem crazy.  GrabAGun has Henry 357Mag Lever for $641.   It's getting my buy finger twitching.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dudel said:

I found a nice Mossberg 464 in 30-30.  It's been a great shooter.

I'd like to get a lever 357Mag as well; but the prices seem crazy.  GrabAGun has Henry 357Mag Lever for $641.   It's getting my buy finger twitching.

I've had excellent dealings with GAG. That's a good price on the Henry and you will not be disappointed. Great rifle.

• Like 2

My biggest beef with the Henry line is the tube feeding.  Just can't wrap my head around it.  I found an Uberti half octagonal/round barrel in .357mag for around $950 shipped.  It has the case hardened steel and is actually beautiful.  Marlins are up around $900 range as well.  Winchesters are off the radar for me.  I keep coming back to the Uberti, but I hate to spring nearly a grand for something that probably won't get used much.  On the other hand, when I finally leave my guns to my kids, I don't want to hand off junk.  I don't know much about Rossi but to my intuition, it seems to fall into that category.

22 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

Uberti makes a very nice quality 1873 replica. I have one chambered in .44 mag, and they do make one in .357. It's a beauty and it shoots and functions perfectly. I believe I paid about $940-ish less than a year ago.

Do you have any pics of your .44 mag?

4 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

IMG_5727.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5729.JPG

IMG_5730.JPG

KB, 

That's a beautiful rifle!   Doesn't look like is been shot much? How do you like runing  .44mag?  .357 in my Ruger is about my old hands can handle as I get older!  That was the main reason I wanted too stay in the .357mag.  And I actually didn't need another excuse to buy another revolver. 

Thank you for taking the time to post these pics! 

Edited by Doc McGlock
  • Like 1

1L26,

What a great way to stay connected to your dad!  I'd have that out where I could see it every a day!  I've got my dad's accordion from  right before the war!

Do you have a year on that marlin?  It's beautiful and has a story to tell!  Care to share?

6 hours ago, Doc McGlock said:

KB, 

That's a beautiful rifle!   Doesn't look like is been shot much? How do you like runing  .44mag?  .357 in my Ruger is about my old hands can handle as I get older!  That was the main reason I wanted too stay in the .357mag.  And I actually didn't need another excuse to buy another revolver. 

Thank you for taking the time to post these pics! 

Thank you, sir. You're right, not too many rounds through it yet. I think about 100 so far. I like the .44 magnum in this rifle. It does have pretty stiff recoil but certainly not unmanageable. 

9 hours ago, Doc McGlock said:

1L26,

What a great way to stay connected to your dad!  I'd have that out where I could see it every a day!  I've got my dad's accordion from  right before the war!

Do you have a year on that marlin?  It's beautiful and has a story to tell!  Care to share?

I have never attempted to tract down the year of the rifle but maybe I should. I remember that was his deer rifle from the time I was probably 5 years old. He has had it as long as I can remember. He died in 1964 so its been around for a long while. I don't know what he killed with it but my guess is probably only west coast deer.

1L,

With all of the attempts to destroy our history in America today by the left, I would move heaven and earth to uncover your dad's rifle's history!  I am a lover of history and items like yours are screaming about the past!  I'm not sure how to go about it, but maybe someone here can help guide you!  

It also will be a great hand me down to your kids or grandkids.  My advice to you is to not let the memories slip away!

Doc

• Like 2